Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-03-2019, 04:58 AM   #1
lyleg

slideout pulley bracket problem

I have an 18 Coleman light lx with one slide. As far as I can tell coleman is now in thedutchmen/ keystone family. Back in august, on day 2 of a 3 day trip, one of the slide pulley brackets popped 2 screw heads and dislocated upward. I was able to pull the slide in. Camping world provided an unsatisfactory fix in which they drilled out the two broken screws and replaced them with bigger screws. The problem is that the bracket appears to have been mounted wrong at the factory. It is also no flush with the wall at the bottom. It's tilted upward to the right, which shoves the pulley into the trim and misaligns the cables increasing their risk of rubbing other components. I really don't want to keep going back to camping world or a dealer at all. Has anybody relocated or replaced one of these brackets? Im not sure how big the backer is behind the wall and have even seen examples of a plate being attached to the wall for increased strength and then attaching the bracket to that plate?

***UPDATE*** I left it alone while in winter storage. Upon starting to prepare the trailer for spring camping the lower left bolt head has broken off again. I am considering loosening the cables and relocating the pulley downward 1/2" or so if I can determine that there is something behind the wall for the screws to grab. I am trying to avoid a long drive to the dealership where it will sit forever and they will likely repeat the poor repair.

The attached pic is post dealership repair, but now the left lower screw head is broken off
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181117_133042372.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	223.9 KB
ID:	20526  
lyleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 06:55 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

You might consider installing a "custom cut" (you can make it with a hacksaw and a file) 1/8 inch aluminum or steel backing plate that spans 4 or 5 inches (more if necessary)... Secure the backing plate behind where the pully assembly "should be". You can make the backing plate as large as needed to span the area and then secure it to the studs so it won't pull out. Then screw the pulley assembly to the backing plate. It will be attached much stronger than it will be by using "larger screws in the old holes".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 03:29 AM   #3
slow

I went with 1/4" thick aluminum:
http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...pictureid=3761
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 07:22 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow View Post
Even better and probably much more durable than 1/8".

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rack, slide, slideout