Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-14-2019, 07:53 AM   #21
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_l_phillips72 View Post

As for the tires and max rating, does the pic give you what you’re asking for? Attachment 20322

Thanks,

Chris
As described on that tire placard the 255/75R20 113 is a Euro Metric design with a 113 load index. When shopping for that tire size insure you check the load index on the replacement for being 113 or higher. It's built with load index ratings from 109 - 117. It's a standard 20" OEM tire for most half ton pick-ups.

Keep in mind that when "P" or Euro tires are used on pick-up trucks the vehicle manufacturer has already derated them with the recommended inflation pressure. When an owner inflates them to the maximum permissible pressure found on the tire sidewall the resulting load capacity must then be divided by 1.1 to comply with the derating standard.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 10:09 AM   #22
sourdough
Site Team

Chris, here is a link I just pulled up from tirerack to give you some examples;

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireS...earDiameter=17

Note the different weight categories for that size tire. The 113 rating is for 2561 lbs. Look at the Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT - it is an LT tire and has a capacity that is over 500 lbs. more per tire which equals more than 1000lbs. additional capacity for the rear of the truck. It does nothing to increase your payload but the additional "strength", ie; more robust construction, will make a big difference in how the truck handles the trailer behind as it tries to push and shove.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 07:14 PM   #23
c_l_phillips72

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Chris, here is a link I just pulled up from tirerack to give you some examples;

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireS...earDiameter=17

Note the different weight categories for that size tire. The 113 rating is for 2561 lbs. Look at the Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT - it is an LT tire and has a capacity that is over 500 lbs. more per tire which equals more than 1000lbs. additional capacity for the rear of the truck. It does nothing to increase your payload but the additional "strength", ie; more robust construction, will make a big difference in how the truck handles the trailer behind as it tries to push and shove.

Ok, thanks for your response. I’ve never pulled a trailer before, so I have no idea what it’ll feel like. Before I swap out tires, I’d like to try what I’ve got and see how it feels.

I’m also looking at possibly trading in my 2 month old truck for a 3/4 ton. If I did that, I’d probably forgo swapping out the tires unless I felt some real serious problems.

I’ll lose thousands on my trade, and I just lost thousands when I traded my 2018 Camarillo ZL1 on the truck, but I think I’d be happier with a 3/4 ton so it might be worth it. Unfortunately, the 2019 RAM 3/4 tons aren’t coming out until June or something, and I don’t know if I’ll want to wait.
c_l_phillips72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 07:43 PM   #24
sourdough
Site Team

Trading up on trucks? Here's the deal on that having done it multiple times. Will you get "soaked" to some degree? No doubt. Will you end up with what you need to go forward with your new pastime? Absolutely! Will you tow with so many fewer worries and problems? No doubt.

If you are able, and willing, to go to a 3/4 ton (consider a 1 ton if you think you may continually upgrade - not much cost difference) then your horizons open greatly. If you do upgrade the truck the tires will be irrelevant.

Trading vehicles is a "losing" proposition. Having traded dozens and dozens of trucks/cars (I only buy new) I can assure you once you commit to new vehicle purchases you WILL have a downside unless you pay it off.

I hate your scenario. You have "bought", then refused and "re-bought" several trailers due to the pickup you bought previously - not thinking about a trailer - been there done that. I TOTALLY understand your wish to have a nice trailer for you and your son as you move forward trying to make memories and you like bigger more than smaller...got it. So the circle continues:

The playing field here continues to change. If you have the resources, and are able, as it appears by your posts; dump the current truck - it is NOT a towing truck. Look into your future (as best you can) and try to see what you envision for your "RV life". How much camping? How large of a trailer do you think makes you and your family happy? Make that decision and do it in ONE step. Don't do as so many (me included) and just try to upgrade here and there, change your mind, want more etc. It sounds to me that the choice is in your hands...now....make it wisely.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 02:42 PM   #25
Larrystegall

Stop

Don’t buy that trailer. You have excellent chance of overloading your capacity. No one weighs everything they put inside and you will not either. Bigger truck, or smaller trailer. Read the current post on overloading the TV. $$$$$$$ for the error. Nothing you do will increase the capacity of your current TV
Larrystegall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 08:28 PM   #26
c_l_phillips72

Thanks again to everyone who responded.

Your comments forced me into looking at other campers and I ended up buying one that I liked the most. It’s a KZ Connect, with a GVWR of 7,000. I had to order one though as I wanted some specific things that weren’t available in the ones on the lot. Evidently, the camper should be ready for me in about 2 months, which will be great timing.

I thought long and hard about everyone’s comments about using my truck to pull that kind of weight, and decided it would be best to take my financial hit now and trade my 2 month old truck (with thousands of dollars in upgrades post purchase).

I looked at all brands’ 3/4 tons, and decided to buy a Ford F-250 with the Powerstroke Diesel. The dealer didn’t have the one I wanted on their lot, but they found one for me nearby AND they gave me a better deal than every other Ford dealership I’d spoken with. Supposedly, the truck will be available to pick up tomorrow. They let me drive one of their F-250’s home tonight, and I have to say I was having some fun with all of that torque from the Diesel.

Now, I should be able to tow my 7k trailer with ease, and I’ll be really disappointed if people are passing me when driving through the mountains in Colorado.

Anyway, thanks for pushing me into the right sized camper and matching truck.
c_l_phillips72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 02:53 AM   #27
DocP

c_l_phillips72: Glad to see that it's going to work out for you! Good choice of a TV!
DocP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 10:24 AM   #28
teacherman

As a new member, I was really pleased to see this forum in action. The OP was able to eventually make an informed decision that, despite some initial costs, will likely yield a happier overall RV traveling experience. I believe that is the intention behind this forum> Thanks to all who put it together and contributed. I'll be asking my questions soon enough.

Good call on the truck, Mr. Phillips. That truck will pull your next trailer as well!

2019 Load Trail 10k payload dump trailer

Bunkhouse trailer to be added soon!
teacherman is offline   Reply With Quote