Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2017, 07:52 AM   #1
semper fi

Is this set up doable

Ram 2500 6.7 diesel 4x4
336 bhswe

Anyone have this set up....?
semper fi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 08:15 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Much MUCH more information is necessary before anyone can give you even a SWAG about the suitability of the rig you ask about. That "RAM 2500" comes in everything from a single cab base model to a MaxiCab luxury model with payloads ranging from almost 4000 pounds to less than 1500 pounds. You don't mention your family size, what kind of camping (dry or full hookups) whether you'll be full timing or whether this is a "one time trip from the dealer to our permanent spot"....

With the provided information, even a WAG would be inappropriate and a SWAG is not possible. More information please, and I'm sure the membership will give you their "experienced opinions".

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 11:01 AM   #3
rhagfo

No don't have that setup, but tow a 5er the same weight a bit shorter with our 2001 Ram 2500 CTD.

336 BHSWSE specs
Dry 10,325#
Payload 1,910#
GVWR. 12,235
Dry Pin. 1,835

If you are concerned about towing within published ratings could be close. We need to know more about your TV and it's listed payload capacity.
If you are not concerned about the ratings, then the best advice I can give you pay attention to at least the weight rating of your TV tires!!

That said towing our 32' Copper Canyon with a 12,360# GVWR and a 9,820# Dry weight, we only exceed our GVWR, still within both axle ratings.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 11:02 AM   #4
cant_remember_ID

Payload is critical

The pin on my 336BHS is about 2400 lbs. Most 3/4 tons I have seen have a rated capacity of less than this.
cant_remember_ID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 11:54 AM   #5
semper fi

I have the crew cab 6.4 bed.
We camp with full hook up
3-4 people....
Travel with empty tanks....
semper fi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 12:31 PM   #6
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

What does the payload sticker in your driver side door jamb say your payload is? What's your GVWR on your truck? That's how to tell for sure. Don't look in an advertising brochure look at your truck stickers. Post pictures of both of them would help too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 05:54 PM   #7
kfxgreenie

Wthin your arbitrary "Payload" NO! Within the trucks capabilities that's up to you to decide. Let me save you from reading all the info you are about to be bombarded about. You WILL be over payload and are going to be told you open yourself up to liability risk in the event of a accident. Now with that said no one has yet to come up with a 3/4 ton truck towing an RV over payload, under axles, under GCWR that has been taken to the cleaners from a law suit. Weigh stations and DOT officers weigh rigs off the stickered axle ratings, or plated weight, but most states do not weigh RV rigs. You need to make your own decision, do you want to take the "risk" or loose some equity to "Feel Safe" and purchase a larger truck? If you go larger, bypass the SRW as all you are really doing is "Feeling Mentally Better" about what you are doing in most cases.

You can start with my link below to find a truck suitable to tow your rig.....

https://www.truckpaper.com/listings/...odel-group/379
kfxgreenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 08:10 PM   #8
Canonman

Quote:
Originally Posted by semper fi View Post
Ram 2500 6.7 diesel 4x4
336 bhswe

Anyone have this set up....?
You don't say what year is your Ram. Ours is an '07.5, payload capacity #2000. the 2017 Ram 2500 capacity is #2300. Keystone states the pin weight at for this trailer at 1835. Not much wiggle room there.
Just finished a trip to the Portland, OR area. Coming through Burley, Idaho saw a really nice rig upside down in the median. Wind was whipping at over 50mph.
Just say'n...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_2431.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	329.1 KB
ID:	13047  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 08:27 PM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfxgreenie View Post
Wthin your arbitrary "Payload" NO! Within the trucks capabilities that's up to you to decide. Let me save you from reading all the info you are about to be bombarded about. You WILL be over payload and are going to be told you open yourself up to liability risk in the event of a accident. Now with that said no one has yet to come up with a 3/4 ton truck towing an RV over payload, under axles, under GCWR that has been taken to the cleaners from a law suit. Weigh stations and DOT officers weigh rigs off the stickered axle ratings, or plated weight, but most states do not weigh RV rigs. You need to make your own decision, do you want to take the "risk" or loose some equity to "Feel Safe" and purchase a larger truck? If you go larger, bypass the SRW as all you are really doing is "Feeling Mentally Better" about what you are doing in most cases.

You can start with my link below to find a truck suitable to tow your rig.....

https://www.truckpaper.com/listings/...odel-group/379

I have to apologize in advance. This kind of post just irritates the ???? out of me. You either follow the rules or you don't. I know folks that follow this kind of "not me" silliness that are in prison - some I helped put there. I agree that lots of folks flaunt the rules and skate by....good for them...until, shtf, and then, they will get to meet folks like me that don't think it's funny.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 09:36 PM   #10
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I have to apologize in advance. This kind of post just irritates the ???? out of me. You either follow the rules or you don't. I know folks that follow this kind of "not me" silliness that are in prison - some I helped put there. I agree that lots of folks flaunt the rules and skate by....good for them...until, shtf, and then, they will get to meet folks like me that don't think it's funny.
So you have put RV oweners in prison for towing over the 10,000# GVWR of a 250/2500, while sill under Axle and tire ratings?

Tell more please!
Old 06-13-2017, 10:10 PM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
So you have put RV oweners in prison for towing over the 10,000# GVWR of a 250/2500, while sill under Axle and tire ratings?

Tell more please!

My comment was about those that flaunt the rules and try to skate by finding loopholes, in their minds, until things fall out. RVs, dope, assault, speed limits, weight limits etc.; it doesn't matter. Laws (rules) are rules.

What those that espouse "axle ratings" don't seem to understand is that there is a reason manufacturers have a gvw and a gawr. They build their equipment (axles) to a certain level. When they see a "6k axle" starts to break/fatigue at 6500 they then back it up by giving you a gvw less than that to give you (them) a safety margin. Then when some say "no", look at what my gawr is - forget the gvw...it's meaningless, and go forward, you just eliminated the margin that the builder tried to put in for you....on the MANDATED yellow sticker. To me it's really very simple....sort of like; "the light's red, you need to stop", but, a person says....."it doesn't mean that to me - I know better".....
Old 06-14-2017, 04:41 AM   #12
rhagfo

Sourdough,
You do understand that the reason that Class 2 trucks exist is due to the fact that Class 3 truck are automatically considered commercial for licensing and insurances reasons.
That said most 250/2500 are the same as their 350/3500 counterparts, with some very small exceptions like maybe softer springs.
The reason axle ratings could be lower are tires, not the axle itself, most of the full floating axles used in 250/2500 carry a GAWR of close to 10,000# from the axle manufacturer. The limiting factor is the base tires on the axle.
Old 06-14-2017, 05:21 AM   #13
SAABDOCTOR

I am going to regret this. I looked up rear wheel bearings for my 2005 dodge 3500 and a 2500 rear wheel bearings are not the same. when i have some spare time i will look up some other trucks.
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 06:59 AM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABDOCTOR View Post
I am going to regret this. I looked up rear wheel bearings for my 2005 dodge 3500 and a 2500 rear wheel bearings are not the same. when i have some spare time i will look up some other trucks.
It's the same with the 2015 Ford F250/350 rear bearings. Different part numbers between the two truck models.

Also, with respect to Ford's F250/350 argument (may or may not apply to other brands) starting in 2017, the transmission in the F250 gas engine truck has a "lighter duty rating" with completely different shift patterns from the F250 diesel version. The F350 gas/diesel trucks have the same transmission as the F250 diesel. So the F250 gas truck is "built different" from its "big brothers".

As a note, it's also the same with Dexter axles. Many of their axles, 3500/4400/5000/6000, use the same spindle with different bearing/race/hub configurations which change the overall weight rating for the assembly. From the "outside looking in" they appear the same, but are built with significantly different components.

The owner's manuals for all 5 of the "major truck manufacturers": Ford, GM, Nissan, RAM and Toyota all state (using different words) that ALL (not part or a selection at owner's discretion) of the ratings, GVW, GAWR, GCWR must be followed.

For me, to state publically that I follow the GAWR rating (but am over the GVW) because the cops don't weigh vehicles, they weigh individual axles, for me, is using a "loophole" to skirt around and avoid what the owner's manual clearly states must be followed. When that advice is given, it should be followed with a "disclaimer" that this is not what the manufacturer recommends in the owner's manual, but it's how the poster decided to do it. Then a reader can decide whether to "take the risk" or follow the "manufacturer's recommendation"...

This is from a recent GM owner's manual: " ..drive to a scale and weigh on the front and on the rear wheels separately to determine axle loads. Individual axle loads should not exceed either of the gross axle weight ratings (GAWR). The total axle loads should not exceed the vehicle's gross vehicle weight rating
(GVWR). These ratings are given on the Certification/Tire label attached to the B-pillar. See “Certification/Tire Label” under Vehicle Load Limits on page 9-15. If weight ratings are exceeded, move or remove items to bring all weights below the ratings."
It does not say that the owner can "pick and choose" to find one (or more) ratings (and ignore the rest) to be "OK"....

It has long been the policy of this forum to provide advice to members who ask questions. We all have a responsibility to provide clear, concise advice that is accurate and legal. While some may offer advice on "how they do it", when it's posted, they (not the forum) assumes responsibility for any issues that may result from their advice. We have always maintained that any advice that is provided should meet the level of being legally and morally accurate. We shouldn't be providing a means or a procedure to "teach someone" how to use a "loophole in the law" or to "skirt" the owner's manual to avoid meeting the requirements that are clearly documented by the manufacturer.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 07:55 AM   #15
xrated

John, very well stated and 100% true. Thank you for that post!
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 10:43 AM   #16
SAABDOCTOR

THANKS JOHN WELL SAID. TODAY GOT CRAZY AND I DIDN'T HAVE TIME TO LOOK UP OTHER TRUCKS. RETIREMENT... SOON
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 10:50 AM   #17
sourdough
Site Team

Thanks John for expounding on this topic.
Old 06-14-2017, 08:30 PM   #18
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABDOCTOR View Post
If you are comparing your 3500 DRW to a 2500 likely differnt bearings, that is apples to Oranges, should be compared to a 3500 SRW.

In my case I have the same Dana 80 axle as the 3500 DRW, and wit the camper package the same rear springs.
Old 06-14-2017, 08:49 PM   #19
CWSWine

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
If you are comparing your 3500 DRW to a 2500 likely differnt bearings, that is apples to Oranges, should be compared to a 3500 SRW.

In my case I have the same Dana 80 axle as the 3500 DRW, and wit the camper package the same rear springs.
I don't know about your RAM but when I ask the GMC parts guy and said he hears that a lot. Walks back and pull out two sets of bearings both with the same part number. One box said 2500 and the other box said 2500/3500 the only difference was a single dash number on the end of the part numbers other than then they looked the same.
2016 GMC Denila 1 ton Diesel CC 3722
2017 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R
Montana 3711FL Front Living Room 5er
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 08:59 PM   #20
chuckster57
Site Team

Hey guys, let's not drift into "the trucks are the same.....AGAIN!!! Keep in mind the topic.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote