Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 11:34 AM   #21
nellie1289

Love it jeepshots. You are a real Bill Shakespeare. I fully assume this thread also will be locked down now. Lol
2021 Malibu 23 LSV
2017 Yamaha YXZ1000R SS SE
2019 Can AM Maverick X3 Turbo XRS
Old 05-15-2017, 12:03 PM   #22
fourfourto

I didn't think it was a political view
I thought it was a constitutional right,.
there's a difference.

Anyway thought comments were interesting on the alarm didn't think it went to far off topic.
you cant open your mouth these days about anything

2017 Keystone 1750rd
2006 Hummer H3
1968 Oldsmobile 442
1983 Honda CX650C
Old 05-15-2017, 12:37 PM   #23
chuckster57
Site Team

I am retired LEO, CCW in all 50 states. Here's the deal:

This is an RV forum not a GUN forum. I am a member of a gun forum, and they don't discuss RV's there. You do have the right to post whatever you want as long as it is within the guidelines of the forum as set by the owners/administrators.

No one is forced to remain a member and if any said member doesn't like the guidelines set, has the option to cancel his/her membership.

Being a moderator comes with responsibilities and sometimes our personal views may not be in total agreement with the forum guidelines, but enforcement of guidelines will always take precedence.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 05-15-2017, 01:07 PM   #24
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal96ss View Post
If you travel with firearms to other states as we do, I highly recommend this book.
2017 Traveler's Guide to the Firearm Laws of the Fifty States- about 10 bucks from Amazon. About one page per state devoted to interesting and sometimes a bit quirky information. There are certainly some states we will never travel to.
Or www.handgunlaw.us

About as current as it gets.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Old 05-15-2017, 04:05 PM   #25
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourfourto View Post
I didn't think it was a political view
I thought it was a constitutional right,.
there's a difference.

Anyway thought comments were interesting on the alarm didn't think it went to far off topic.
you cant open your mouth these days about anything
fourfourto -

Freedom of religion is also a constitutional right but the forum guidelines, for obvious reasons, do not allow religious views or "religion" to be discussed in posts. Freedom of speech is a right but that doesn't mean that members can write derogatory or defamatory statements about other members.

Firearms and gun ownership are hot-button issues and frequently lead to heated, argumentative discussions. Many end up being personal and offensive. That is one reason why these types of posts are often closed.

In addition, as chuckster57 rightly pointed out, this is a forum focused on RVs and related issues with guidelines which, over the years, have served the forum and its members well. Our primary interest and focus is on RV's not guns.

I haven't checked but I am certain that there are numerous "gun" forums out there where this topic is discussed. I would encourage members who want to talk about guns to visit or join one of those forums.
Old 05-15-2017, 04:52 PM   #26
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Perspective

3 of the 5 current moderators and 1 moderator emeritus have now weighed in on this thread. And it is still open. I think it is important for everyone to understand, whether you agree or not, that it is not the job of the moderators to close down threads. Just like it is not their job to solve all the problems that are posted. Our job is to make sure that everyone follows the rules that we agreed to when we joined this forum and that we all play nice. Since this is a family oriented forum for everyone who loves to camp, has an RV, whether it is a Keystone or SOB, is welcome here and everyone of the members should feel comfortable here.

Rights require responsibility to keep them from becoming the tools of tyranny. The thread that was closed earlier today had registered at least 2 requests by the moderators to stay on task and subject. That was ignored and some posters took offense and continued on, stating 1st and 2nd Amendment rights. However the forum rules require us to be respectful, play nice and no meanness. Here they are in case you missed them:

Keystone Forum Community Rules

As a member of this forum, I agree that my posts will be free of:

1) any abusive, obscene, insulting, slanderous, hateful, sexually-oriented, and threatening language and any political and religious material.

2) repeated negative comments, trashing, or "attacks" on products, manufacturers, or organizations. Posts concerning problems or issues with products, manufacturers or organizations are acceptable and appropriate.

3) any advertisements, promotions, either direct or indirect (URL's, Links, etc.) of commercial products or services except for links that are included as a helpful referral, to explain or to make a point.

4) spam or spamming in any form or registering multiple names. Spammers will have their membership revoked and their posts will be removed immediately without notice.

As a member, I also understand and agree that:

1) The administrator and/or the moderators may move, remove, edit or close any post or topic at any time as they see fit.

2) A warning will be issued to members who do not adhere to Forum rules and any further abuse or misuse may result in the cancellation of membership without notice.

3) Respectful, courteous and appropriate behavior towards all members, including moderators and administrators, is expected. Members who do not act in this manner may have their membership suspended or permanently revoked.

4) In order to retain my membership after joining, I will contribute at least 1 post within the first 2 years and log on and visit the forum at least once during the first year. Members who remain inactive during these periods will have their membership cancelled.

5) In order to protect our members' privacy and security, the inclusion of your personal email address and telephone number in a post, a User Name, Location, Signature or Profile is not permitted. This information will be removed by the Moderators.

6) The inclusion of a Home Page URL or other similar link is permitted provided it does not promote or advertise products for sale, a personal place of business, and does not contain any links to advertisements, businesses or sites such as Facebook which require membership.

7) This forum is not intended to be a mechanism for people to solely vent frustrations about services, products, vendors, or sales. Please settle your differences with the seller, provider, manufacturer, or dealer through other means but not through our community.

There are not a lot of them and they should be easy for all to follow. When they are not, then the moderators have to step in and make corrections, deletions, edits or send personal messages to inform the member(s) of problems. Out of fairness and so you can compare, here is a link to the rules page on the Forest River forum which has tons more rules: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ork&page=rules
Personally, I prefer ours much more.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
Old 05-15-2017, 04:53 PM   #27
Desert185

With all due respect, the major resistance on this subject is from the site team. Talking about guns as an accessory to trailering is no different than discussing, torque wrenches, drill motors or generators, etc.

As long as the members don't go crazy on the subject, there should be no issues, as has been the case with every responder other than site team members. We are adults and have acted like adults on the subject so far.

I have been directed in the past to not change the thread subject when guns were mentioned, but keeping the threads on track is normally not an issue when guns are not mentioned when other threads have gone off track.

I realize the sensitivity of gun talk, but we have to suffer hearing about lights on an awning, we should be able to remain adult and discuss firearm issues related to trailering. I disregard lights on awning threads without throwing a fit. Perhaps those who hate firearms could do the same, while those who have a reasonable desire to know other's experiences with firearm related trailering issues enter the discussion in an adult manner.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Old 05-15-2017, 05:45 PM   #28
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
the major resistance on this subject is from the site team
Because we are the ones given the task to insure all members adhere to the rules set down by owners/Administrators of this forum

Quote:
Talking about guns as an accessory to trailering is NO DIFFERENT than discussing , torque wrenches....
Actually there is a big difference. TOOLS used to maintain, repair, prevent breakdowns is one thing. Consider if you were on a GUN forum and using your argument, it would be just as applicable to talk about the tire pressure in your vehicle as you travel to the range, or what brand of vehicle and is it rated to haul your weapons. Common sense should prevail here.

Quote:
As long as the members don't go crazy on the subject, there should be no issues, as has been the case with every responder other than site team members
See my first response....

I too hope that we can all remain ADULTS and do the ADULT thing...follow the guidelines set by the ones who can set the rules. If you don't think a rule is right, feel free to send a PM to the site administrators and ask for a change. IF they feel it is appropriate, the rule may be changed and we as moderators will honor that change. Until that happens, we have two choices:

1) follow the rules
2) leave

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 05-15-2017, 05:45 PM   #29
JRTJH
Site Team

I've been busy today and haven't been able to log onto the forum since just after I closed the thread that prompted this discussion. For the record, I'm a gun owner, I regularly hunt, shoot skeet and sporting clays as well as target shoot at multiple ranges. I'm retired military and have been around firearms both at work and at home longer than I care to remember. I'm a life member of NRA, I have a CPL (concealed pistol license) and you'll never find me unarmed if I can legally carry where I'm located. Church, hospitals, courthouses, bars and airplanes come to mind, otherwise, you can bet it's in my back pocket.

That said, here's a brief explanation, not that one is necessary. I closed the thread because it was off topic, two requests to get back on topic (alarms, not guns) had been posted by moderators and after that, there were two members who were responding to each other's posts without regard to the topic of the thread. Those types of posts are not only uncalled for, they tend to motivate other members to post comments that further inflame the situation.

It was, for that reason, members ignoring the requests of two moderators to stop discussing guns in the thread, that I closed it.

Now, as for "freedom of speech", yes as a US citizen, we all have that right. That does not mean that we can discuss anything we want in any situation. You can't yell "FIRE" in a crowded theater, and freedom of speech does not extend to a privately owned forum. Just as each of you would expect a "guest in your home" to follow your request that they stop talking about a topic, this forum and the moderators expect members here to also stop discussing controversial issues which are not related to RVing when asked to do so. This is NOT a public avenue for anyone to express their personal "opinions" and it is not an "open forum that allows anything and everything to be discussed. It is a privately owned business that, so far, has remained "free of cost" to the membership. We do hope to keep it that way, but ask members to follow some basic rules (which ctbruce posted above). If everyone follows those guidelines and listens to the posted requests made by moderators, I don't believe anyone would close a thread. But, on the other hand, if "passions cause argumentative posts" you can rest assured that one of the moderators will close the thread. It's done, not to "stifle freedom of speech" but to maintain a private internet business which is "Keystone RV.com".

This thread has some good comments, some expressions of frustration likely caused by not understanding that the forum is not a public avenue for expressions of opinion, and I don't (as of yet) see any reason to even consider whether to close it. I hope that it remains positive and that there are no inflammatory posts. If so, it's an open discussion. If anyone posts something that's inflammatory and/or argumentative, you can almost bet that it'll be closed in a "New York minute"..........

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 05-15-2017, 06:58 PM   #30
Steve S

I see that I'm being talked about here, awwww I feel the love! lol!
I truly wanted to quote a person here but my reply would be with the words "redneck and possum stew" in it so I declined.
Seriously though I've seen the words "American site, 5th amendment" come up a few times and it made me think. So if this is an American site and as one said "it's for Americans" or something like that then maybe it's best for all of you to go complain to the owner of the site and have everyone in the world removed from "YOUR" site and then you can talk about guns till the cows come home.
When people in other countries who don't carry guns or have a fear of our neighbors reading about guns and how many that you carry in your RV what do you think that they're thinking about? It's probably not to visit America for concerns of their safety wouldn't you think? Keep in mind that one doesn't have to be a member to read through these threads. These were the reasons that I was getting at in the other thread but no one, not one person would acknowledge what I was trying to get across.
I enjoy reading through the threads when I can find time as there's alot of interesting threads and there's some great advice.
Here's something to think about before I hit submit. I'f I was to ask on every thread about my nephew being gay and would he be accepted in American campgrounds how many of you would be reporting as it just doesn't fit into the RVing talk now does it?

Oh one more thing, I know that John has an extensive background with guns but I don't ever recall him getting into talk about them as it really doesn't have anything to do with camping.
Also chuckster57 I had no idea that you have a gun as you've never mentioned it that I recall and I read all of your posts.
This is an RV site and from surfing the web there's so many gun sites in America and wouldn't you rather talk there where people are on your level with guns?
Old 05-15-2017, 07:09 PM   #31
sourdough
Site Team

I guess, before I retire, I want to reiterate what I said in my previous posts.

IMO the moderators are doing a good job of trying to let the conversation flow while also trying to keep things from going sideways; they can, and will, discussing guns.

I belong to several gun forums and I discuss all kinds of things there. I don't discuss RVs except possibly in passing. The same holds for this forum. It's an RV forum. Discussion of firearms, IMO, are completely permissible when related to their use in an RV, traveling etc. Negative/derogatory comments made about those that have them, or don't, are useless and negative. The legality is indisputable so "opinions" that condemn folks that have/use them are not only inflammable but also wrong and need to be either left "at home" or removed.

Long story short; I have and use my guns. I am an Endowment Life member of the NRA. I have my concealed license and carry every day. I follow the law and know what it is. My belief in the 2nd amendment, the Constitution and the country is paramount. I don't believe however that we should be able to say anything we want, about anything, because of "free speech" or the Constitution on a private forum. I understand that, which is hard for a hard headed guy like me. Maybe some of us need to put on our "big boy pants" and try to understand as well.
Old 05-15-2017, 07:23 PM   #32
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
I see that I'm being talked about here, awwww I feel the love! lol!
I truly wanted to quote a person here but my reply would be with the words "redneck and possum stew" in it so I declined.
Seriously though I've seen the words "American site, 5th amendment" come up a few times and it made me think. So if this is an American site and as one said "it's for Americans" or something like that then maybe it's best for all of you to go complain to the owner of the site and have everyone in the world removed from "YOUR" site and then you can talk about guns till the cows come home.
When people in other countries who don't carry guns or have a fear of our neighbors reading about guns and how many that you carry in your RV what do you think that they're thinking about? It's probably not to visit America for concerns of their safety wouldn't you think? Keep in mind that one doesn't have to be a member to read through these threads. These were the reasons that I was getting at in the other thread but no one, not one person would acknowledge what I was trying to get across.
I enjoy reading through the threads when I can find time as there's alot of interesting threads and there's some great advice.
Here's something to think about before I hit submit. I'f I was to ask on every thread about my nephew being gay and would he be accepted in American campgrounds how many of you would be reporting as it just doesn't fit into the RVing talk now does it?

Oh one more thing, I know that John has an extensive background with guns but I don't ever recall him getting into talk about them as it really doesn't have anything to do with camping.
Also chuckster57 I had no idea that you have a gun as you've never mentioned it that I recall and I read all of your posts.
This is an RV site and from surfing the web there's so many gun sites in America and wouldn't you rather talk there where people are on your level with guns?

THIS is the kind of comment/post that gets threads shut down (twice now).

I want to be as delicate as I can, but, when you live in OUR country and have OUR Constitution and laws THEN you can complain about those that abide by them - if you're from outside the USA you can't, and won't, impose your unfounded fears on law abiding Americans.

When you have an unabiding fear of a gun for no apparent reason you shouldn't go around tossing out terms like "redneck and possum stew" about those that own them. Those are derogatory terms you just throw out to classify and impune gun owners. Instead you probably need to study and learn.

I could go on but I'm positive I'm not the only one that feels aggravated by the arrogance of someone to post something like this after all the discussion. Sorry - and I was headed to bed!

I don't want my comment to shut down the thread but comments like the above are intentionally inflammatory and need a response.
Old 05-15-2017, 07:25 PM   #33
Jeepshots

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Remember, wolves have to eat also.....
Ah yes, but not my family. Not on my watch. There was research conducted a few years ago with individuals convicted of violent crimes. These cons were in prison for serious, predatory acts of violence: assaults, murders and killing law enforcement officers. The vast majority said that they specifically targeted victims by body language: slumped walk, passive behavior and lack of awareness. They chose their victims like big cats do in Africa, when they select one out of the herd that is least able to protect itself.

However, when there were cues given by potential victims that indicated they would not go easily, the cons said that they would walk away. If the cons sensed that the target was a "counter-predator," that is, a sheepdog, they would leave him alone unless there was no other choice but to engage.

Sheepdogs are funny critters: They are always sniffing around out on the perimeter, checking the breeze, barking at things that go bump in the night. They are alert to things that don't seem right - they look for stuff out of the ordinary.

My wife finds cuteness and humor when I tell her that I have to be the last one to bed/sleep. I always check the perimeter - making sure doors are locked/bolted, cars locked up, gates closed and generally that the property is battened down. I sleep lightly, most of the time. I hear my kids if they get up during the night, and I check on them. I'm usually the first one up, and again, i check things out when i get up. We have two dogs that function as alarms, as well as physical barriers to the kids. They roam the property and frequently guard it against the killer squirrels we have in the back yard. They go ballistic when the mailman or UPS man delivers to our door. They hear the school kids taking a shortcut thru the corner of our front yard, and make their presence known. We have security cameras for the house. I have layers of security, just to make our home more resistant, so the wolves will continue down the road.

And yes, KeystoneForums.com serves as a sheepdog of the Keystone RVing community. I'm glad to be a small part of it.
~ In your darkest hour when the demons come, call on me brother and we will fight them together! ~
Old 05-16-2017, 04:24 AM   #34
fatcatzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
THIS is the kind of comment/post that gets threads shut down (twice now).

I want to be as delicate as I can, but, when you live in OUR country and have OUR Constitution and laws THEN you can complain about those that abide by them - if you're from outside the USA you can't, and won't, impose your unfounded fears on law abiding Americans.

When you have an unabiding fear of a gun for no apparent reason you shouldn't go around tossing out terms like "redneck and possum stew" about those that own them. Those are derogatory terms you just throw out to classify and impune gun owners. Instead you probably need to study and learn.

I could go on but I'm positive I'm not the only one that feels aggravated by the arrogance of someone to post something like this after all the discussion. Sorry - and I was headed to bed!

I don't want my comment to shut down the thread but comments like the above are intentionally inflammatory and need a response.
Well said sir.
Old 05-16-2017, 04:43 AM   #35
Javi

Growing up in rural Texas during the recession and drought of the 50's I can assure you that I have eaten my share of possum stew as well as many other game animals... I can't count the times it was the only meat available and we were happy to get it..

As for Redneck... I am proud of my heritage but the real REDNECKS are here... http://wvpublic.org/post/do-you-know...story#stream/0

I don't own and carry firearms to impose my will upon others, but instead to prevent others from imposing their will upon me... It is a matter of respect that I normally refrain from these threads... However I expect respect in return..
Old 05-16-2017, 04:53 AM   #36
fourfourto

Ok
I think I got my answer.
Don't hijack threads to throw in personal views pro or con
Start new thread relating subject to Rv,s with guns or anything else( odds and ends good category) without bashing opposite view of subject.
NO NAME CALLING
redneck and possum stew

Related story
Was parked at a walmart in the mid west and a cop came knocking on the door at 6am asking if I saw or heard anything earlier, I said no
It seems there was a shootout with thieves/bad guys on the other side of walmart no one was hurt they got the bad guys.
when asked if I had any weapons or firearms I told the cop yes, he said good you can protect yourself if needed.

standard equipment
22 , machete , couple knives, stun gun, mace.
couldn't hurt to be prepared (not paranoid)

if they (bad guys) saw me parked on the opposite side they could have came up to camper.
At least with a gun or rifle I would have a chance to protect myself if needed.
Not going to be a victim ( bad guys do single out people that aren't aware and prepared and look timid or nervous)

2017 Keystone 1750rd
2006 Hummer H3
1968 Oldsmobile 442
1983 Honda CX650C
Old 05-16-2017, 06:04 AM   #37
Tbos

FWIW, I was the OP on one of the threads that was shut down. I will be full timing in a few years and wanted to know concerning the laws regarding carrying guns in an RV.
After quite a few responses were posted I felt I had the info I needed at the time and said so in another post. Following my post a moderator shut it down because I had the information I requested. It wasn't closed for any other reason. I was not bothered or offended by it being closed. I appreciate the work all the moderators do to keep us on track and most of all provide us the wealth of information they have about all things RV. Thanks everyone.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW
Old 05-16-2017, 06:25 AM   #38
notanlines

Now that we have all gotten that out of our system and sporting smiley faces all, I think we should convince Javi to have us all down for possum stew and biscuits. I'll bring a few tree rats to grill for snacks beforehand, maybe bring enough that Steve could whip up some squirrel jerky.....hmmmm?
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
Old 05-16-2017, 06:52 AM   #39
Barbell

Like many others on here, I have had a CCW permit for many years and have several concealable weapons. However, we do not take any weapons in the RV for one very good reason. Many of our stops are at military campgrounds, most of which are inside the gates of air bases, Army posts, Navy or Coast Guard stations. Of all the bases where we have stayed, I do not remember a single one that allows civilians to possess firearms on the base. Many are like crossing the border into Canada; don't try to take a weapon onto the base because they WILL find it and you will not only lose the weapon but be off the base permanently. I have found on the very few occasions I threatened to use it that an aluminum baseball bat works wonders. It is non-lethal but it hurts like hell and it won't go through the walls of 3 or 4 RVs before it stops. We do not stay at Walmart or sketchy campgrounds and we travel with two big dogs, so we have little use for even the bat.

One other thing: America is two continents, North and South. The USA is just a part of North America. When you refer to the USA as "America", you insult those who live in other parts of the continents because they live in "America" just as much as you do.
Old 05-16-2017, 07:59 AM   #40
fatcatzzz

I would think most everyone on this site would respect your right to not carry a weapon in Your rv. Stopping at a military base is good reason not to. But I would expect the same respect for My right to carry a weapon in my rv.
As for your comment on America, I live in the United States of America, so if referring to the USA as America is insulting, people will just have to get over it. It amazes me that most of the people north and south of the USA "America" complaining of being insulted are the same people using whatever method they can to come into this country.

Rant over
Closed Thread