Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2017, 12:56 PM   #1
xcntrk

Disney Fort Wilderness

Just completed one of the best trips in a few years of RV camping. Spring Break last week for many on the East Coast, and we traveled with 2 other camper families down to Disney World in Orlando Florida staying at the Fort Wilderness RV campground.

Clocked just under 2k miles round trip. Averaged 8.5mpg pulling a 16k pound Fuzion toy hauler loaded down with golf cart in the garage. Everything with the tow went great, no mechanicals, no flats, some heavy traffic in spots, some detours due to accidents, extra capacity from a 50gal Titan fuel tank was fantastic, Garmin RV GPS with realtime traffic worked great, air-bags on the truck helped to level the load, and Tire Minder watching the tire temp/pressure gave some comfort.

Traveled down the Eastcoast, I95 majority of the way. Stayed 2 nights outside of Daytona at Beverly Beach Campground which is a small but quaint upscale “RV Resort” with slots that are LITERRALLY right on the ocean. Made great use of my rear patio pointed right over the beach.

The rest of the trip involved 7 days at Fort Wilderness. That campground is fantastic! Really well laid out to maximize space and make for nice private slots. Easy access to the Disney parks and attractions as well of course. Between the upscale Beverly beach side and premium on Disney property campgrounds, I must say I’ve never seen so many high-end Class-A RV’s in a single trip. I’m talking impressive 500k plus diesel pushers fully loaded. It’s nice to dream…

xcntrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 01:20 PM   #2
mfifield01

The rear patio pic is awesome. Looks like a great trip.
Old 04-19-2017, 02:09 PM   #3
Cbrez

Great pics I can smell the salt air, feel the sea breeze and taste the cold beer. Our kind of camping.

Steve & Diane
2015 Montana 3402RL
2017 F350 Super Duty Lariat 6.7 Powerstroke, Super Cab, Long Box, 4WD DRW
18K PullRite Super 5th ISR
Cbrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 02:16 PM   #4
SummitPond

I concur on the photo comments ^^^

I looked up Disney's current rates. WOW! The last time I camped there a trailer rate was about $25 give or take (if I remember correctly). Yes, it's been a long time!

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 02:43 PM   #5
m&m

Great pics. Stayed at Beverly beach mid 90's $28 a night Don't go near Orlando.
m&m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 03:17 PM   #6
busterbrown

What's nice about Fort Wilderness is that it's a fraction of the cost of Disney's other properties with practically the same amenities. You can visit other resorts for free, eat at all the themed restaurants, and have easy water transportation to Magic Kingdom. Plus, the Fort has plenty of shows, activities, events for the little ones that you never have to leave the grounds.

We're going back next year.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 04:44 PM   #7
MattHelm21

X2. Fort Wilderness is our favorite spot. There is so much to do. Just get there early as there are spots you won't get that toy hauler into. It's been about 50/50 that we have to turn down the spot they give is and get another assigned mostly due to the fact that no matter how I plan the trip, I get there after dark.
Old 04-20-2017, 03:18 AM   #8
xcntrk

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterbrown View Post
What's nice about Fort Wilderness is that it's a fraction of the cost of Disney's other properties with practically the same amenities. You can visit other resorts for free, eat at all the themed restaurants, and have easy water transportation to Magic Kingdom. Plus, the Fort has plenty of shows, activities, events for the little ones that you never have to leave the grounds.

We're going back next year.
Couldn't agree more! We were there during one of the busiest times of the year, an equivalent room at one of the noteworthy Disney resorts was upwards of $400 a night! Our premium campground site was in the $140 range (with peak rates in effect). Bringing our own lodging and golf cart along meant for even more comfort and convenance than staying in a stuffy hotel. Definitely going back.

Old 04-20-2017, 03:19 AM   #9
xcntrk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHelm21 View Post
X2. Fort Wilderness is our favorite spot. There is so much to do. Just get there early as there are spots you won't get that toy hauler into. It's been about 50/50 that we have to turn down the spot they give is and get another assigned mostly due to the fact that no matter how I plan the trip, I get there after dark.
This was our first time and we must have really lucked out. Our site was fantastic. In the 800 loop, outside ring meant the site backed into the woods, was right on a corner which meant the neighbors to either side were offset resulting in some privacy. It was perfect. One of our travel families however, had to change sites x3 times to get their 5'er to fit, and even then their truck had to go in overflow parking

Old 04-20-2017, 03:56 AM   #10
DAN d

SOUNDS GREAT MUST ADD TO BUCKET LIST
DAN d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 09:16 PM   #11
MarineFam

We love Disney and own DVC. We take trips there now but still have always wanted to make a trip down to the campground.

2015 Avalanche 361TG
2017 GMC 3500HD Duramax
MarineFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 09:16 PM   #12
MarineFam

Gorgeous pic on the water too!

2015 Avalanche 361TG
2017 GMC 3500HD Duramax
MarineFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 11:53 AM   #13
K_N_L

Nice photos! We're planning a Disney trip for 2018 and were looking at Fort Wilderness. I noticed on your rear awning you have side supports, did those come with the unit? ( I have the same camper but no supports.)

Kevin -n- Lisa
17 Fuzion 325 / 15 Chevy 3500 HC DRW
06 HD Ultra Classic
K_N_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 04:53 PM   #14
mmilburne

Question: When making reservations at FW can you pick a loop to stay in?
mmilburne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 05:06 PM   #15
TheRealMacGyver

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmilburne View Post
Question: When making reservations at FW can you pick a loop to stay in?
Used to be able to, think you still can. Some loops are premium, others are cheaper on down to tent sites. So you should be able to at least specify a loop, maybe not exact site. Call them and ask.
TheRealMacGyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 04:18 PM   #16
MattHelm21

DW says she is told when making reservations they will make every effort to get you into a loop you want. However, they will not make a guarantee even for the pet loops. That being said, we have never not gotten bumped and we always select the premium pet loop. You may want to look into the app "FW Sites" for when you are checking in. Disney will assign your site and you can use this app before driving out to it to check out its compatibility with your rig. There are pictures of each site and they are rated on their ease of backin, location of power, sewer, and water. It also lists length, width and what side of the loop it is on.