Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-07-2017, 09:47 AM   #1
geobet

50 amp Progressive Industries saga

A week or so ago, I posted that I was going to install a hard wired surge protector. Being too cheap to spring for the $200 installation fee my dealer wanted I did it myself.

Removed the breaker panel thinking it could fit there. Saw that spaghetti mess of wires and said heck no! Went into the basement and took down a wall. Even more wires plus plumbing but plenty of room to install it behind the wall and run the remote display up and into the panel where all the controls are.

With the install mapped out I got started. Figured at least a 2 beer job. Opened both basement doors to catch a breeze. Crammed 6'3" of 70 year old frame into the basement along with extension cord, lights, drills and other tools. Heard a intermittent buzzzzing! Keep in mind that here in Florida its springtime. Critters love to be about. Especially wasps. Red ones. Ignored the intermittent buzzing and continued working. Buzz, buzzzzz. Darn, it was a red wasp (nasty critters straight from Lucifer's turf). And he was just a foot away eyeballing me.

Figuring there wasn't enough room for both of us in the basement, I crawled out. Went in the shop and dug out my can of Wasp Stopper. Paused for a beer. Crawled back in as quietly as I could. There he was sitting on my drill under the black pipe. I wiggled to where I could get a good shot and fired. Missed!! Note to self - don't spray wasp stopper in a confined space. Crawled back out to steady my nerves , let the fog of wasp spray clear and finish my beer.

Crawled back in. Dried the wasp spray off my drill and got busy again. Buzzzzz. He ain't givin' up! Figured by now he was immune to wasp spray. I laid the drill down and grabbed a rag from my pocket and laid still while he settled down. Again he perched on my drill a couple feet away. Now I'm out of wasp stopper and figured the rag was the only weapon I had left. Gently eased it out and swatted the critter. Second note to self - don't swat a red wasp with a rag in a confined space. He won't take kindly to that. By now, nerves rattled, hands shaking and waiting to be stung. Crawled back out of the basement.

Back to the shop for one of my high volume blowers. Can't spray him out. Can't swat him out. So, I'll blow him out! Plugged in the blower and aimed where I last saw him. Turned the blower on and waited. Popped open another beer while I waited, for medicinal purposes only you understand . Turned off the blower and climbed back in. Looked around. No wasp. Good. I can finish installing the surge protector. Reached up to where I had fished the cord down into the basement for the remote display. Zapppppp! He nailed me. It smarted!

Crawled back out of the basement. Back to the shop for the first aid kit. Put some ointment on the sting. Gave serious thought to taking the shotgun I keep in the shop into the basement with me. Or, the water hose. Thought otherwise. Finished my beer and went back in. This time with gloves and a long sleeve shirt on.

Wiggled back in and looked for the wasp. No sign of him. Good. I can finish. Then saw him out of the corner of my eye. Just watching me. He didn't make any threatening moves. Allowed me to finish. Still sitting there. Great! All done! Pushed my tools out with my feet so as to not annoy him. Duck walked and wiggled myself back out. Steadied myself against the door. Looked for Mr. wasp. No sign of him. Reached for a handhold to get myself out and Bammmm! He nailed me again. On the other hand - I had just taken off my gloves. It smarted like heck. Now both hands hurt plus got a lung full of wasp stopper, and cramps in my legs but I got the install finished. 3rd note to self - next time wear a full body wrap and a bee keepers hat when I have a wasp for company in the basement. As for the wasp. When I got out - so did he. No doubt off to terrorize a neighbor. Final score - wasp 2, me 0. But, job done and saved $200.

Love the smell of fresh coffee & diesel in the morning!
geobet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 10:08 AM   #2
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

So you now have experienced the quality of work in the basement area . Now you know why there are no wiring or piping layout drawings

Great story!! A suggestion for the next time, try sharing the beer with him, get him wasted, and complete your installation.

That is what usually happens when working on these well planned quick fix projects. Only problem is no easy way to check out these EMS systems.
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 10:10 AM   #3
Dave W

I can relate to that. My wasp stories are generally from what happens when I wash windows or sweep the deck on the S&B house and they take exception to my interference. Thank golly for those individual 12 oz medicinal packs.

Oh and wasn't that a fun job poking behind the basement wall. My surge protector is a TRC but the installation is the same and done while working through all those dangling wires and water piping.
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 10:32 AM   #4
Desert185

Should have offered him a beer. Reminds of some bear spray stories I've heard.

In the future, if you are out of wasp spray, spray carb cleaner works great and is cheaper. See Walmart or auto supply store on sale. Also works mas subito on Black Widows. I always keep a couple cans of the double duty stuff on the shelf.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 10:57 AM   #5
geobet

Paraptor, Desert 185 & Dave W:

Appreciate your responses. I don't even like to share my beer with my dogs but, its worth a try next time - if there ever is a next time.

I like the carb cleaner approach. Got a full case in the shop. Didn't think of that. Gotta find my gas mask first, plus full body armor and my shop crane to lift my dumb butt back in there. Wonder how wasp spray and carb mixed would do? I can just see the obituary now; "senior citizen DIYer gases himself in basement of RV".

Old 03-07-2017, 10:58 AM   #6
xrated

Geobet.......what......no WD40 spray and a cigarette lighter?.....some fun times right there.

I'm 62 and just last Friday spent several hours contorting my not so nimble and slightly overweight body into the basement of my toy hauler for an install of the Progressive 50 amp EMS. No wasps around but being in some of the positions that i was in, I couldn't have made a quick escape anyway. I've got to go back in one more time to finish the wire run for the remote display and I'm thinking about finding a neighbor kid about 3' tall.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 11:05 AM   #7
geobet

XRATED:

I feel your pain brother. I tried hiring a local kid as well but after he looked at the rats nest of wire, plumbing, left over sawdust and scrap pieces behind the wall, he wanted as much as my dealer. Smart kid! And that was without the wasp!

I like the idea of WD-40 and a cigarette lighter - sort of goes with my idea of using my shot gun then winding up with a High Country with burn marks plus bullet holes. Probably gonna hurt the resale value.

Old 03-07-2017, 11:05 AM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Good story!! The joys of RV maintenance are never ending!!

My first encounter with red wasps was at my dad's house at Lake Brownwood TX when I was there cleaning it out for him. They had built a nest behind the facia board on his little storage building. I found them because they began chasing me 20 yards from the building - they were the most aggressive bees I have ever encountered....and I've met tons of them.

I got away from them but saw where they were. Went and got my wasp spray to get them. As I was working my way up so I could get a good shot one of them came from nowhere and got me right under my right eye. Man! I've been stung by many, many wasps but that was the most painful sting I've ever had. It pounded and throbbed and within several minutes my right eye was swollen closed and my left was halfway closed. Took 2 days of icepacks for me to see clearly again. I did exact my revenge and killed them all but I was extremely cautious doing it.

We usually see bumble bees in FL but this trip I did see some red wasps. They did not seem as aggressive as those I encountered previously but I gave them a wide berth because I didn't want to find out. Next time you see one of those buggers sighting you in do like PARAPTOR suggested and leave him a little dish of beer....he might become a buddy
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 11:12 AM   #9
geobet

Sourdough: You are right one brother! They really are nasty critters. The only thing good out of both hands being stung is it kinda dulls the arthritis.

I'm not convinced, given how nasty they are, that what you saw and thought was bumble bees was actually red wasps in disguise - they are that nasty and I wouldn't put it past them to wear disguises so they can get closer to you.

Old 03-07-2017, 11:33 AM   #10
66joej

geobet: We don't have the red wasps up here in this part of BC. What we have is a variety called Yellowjackets. I swear some of those wasps are as big as small birds. And STING wow! We have to pour our beer into a glass so we can see if one lands in there. Never drink out of a can, they love beer. I have been stung more than once. You never get used to the discomfort. Also found out the Dollar Store flea collars do help to keep them away. Before anyone asks you don't wear it just hang a few in the area you are sitting/working. Can also be put in compartments that have propane, i.e. water heater, furnace,etc. They love the smell of propane.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 11:50 AM   #11
geobet

66joej:

thanks for the tip. My brother told me that dryer sheets do about the same thing. I tried them last summer.

While mowing on the tractor, I had two around my neck. Figured if one is good, two is better, plus I smelled good. Took them off to wipe away the sweat and BAMMMMM got nailed in the neck. Right where the dryer sheets had been. So....ditched the dryer sheets.

Even thought of putting moth balls in the basement to ward off these stinging critters but decided that I didn't want the basement to smell like Grandma's closet. Even thought about a citronella candle but decided an open flame in the basement would not be one of my brightest ideas. I've been stung so many times you'd think I'd be immune but NO! One of my pinky fingers still looks like a stuffed sausage. Thanks for the ideas.

Old 03-07-2017, 01:27 PM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by geobet View Post
66joej:

thanks for the tip. My brother told me that dryer sheets do about the same thing. I tried them last summer.

While mowing on the tractor, I had two around my neck. Figured if one is good, two is better, plus I smelled good. Took them off to wipe away the sweat and BAMMMMM got nailed in the neck. Right where the dryer sheets had been. So....ditched the dryer sheets.

Even thought of putting moth balls in the basement to ward off these stinging critters but decided that I didn't want the basement to smell like Grandma's closet. Even thought about a citronella candle but decided an open flame in the basement would not be one of my brightest ideas. I've been stung so many times you'd think I'd be immune but NO! One of my pinky fingers still looks like a stuffed sausage. Thanks for the ideas.
You know, on a serious note, my wife and I discussed the possibility of getting LESS immune to the things the older you get. When I was younger a wasp didn't phase me....like an ant sting. Heck, we used to take ping pong paddles out to the old barn and knock their nests down (a foot across) with rocks then stand there and swat them with the paddles as they attacked us. The intelligence of that, or logic, escapes me at the moment. Got stung LOTS of times but didn't phase me a bit.

All that to explain my thoughts on aging after the previous red wasp incident.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 01:35 PM   #13
nellie1289

i think I would of spent the $200 and headed to the golf course after this story(with my beer)
2021 Malibu 23 LSV
2017 Yamaha YXZ1000R SS SE
2019 Can AM Maverick X3 Turbo XRS
nellie1289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 01:57 PM   #14
cardinal96ss

Can never beat a DIY project. So much satisfaction. Worth the pain, right?
cardinal96ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 02:12 PM   #15
66joej

sourdough: So true so true! 78th coming up April 1.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 02:44 PM   #16
geobet

Nellie1289, Sourdough, Cardinal96ss, 66JOEJ:

Thanks for your input and suggestions. Really appreciate them all. All condolences appreciated. Hated the thought of paying someone I didn't know to do something I knew I could do - and maybe a bit better. DW says I'm too cheap to pay someone anyway.

Cardinal is dead on - satisfaction of another DIY project is sorta, kinda, maybe worth the pain. And Sourdough, I know you're right about the age thingy. Not only sucks to get older but becoming less immune to natures nasty stuff really bites. Once the swelling goes down, time to dive into another project - but, gotta make a beer run first!

Old 03-07-2017, 04:06 PM   #17
Todd727

You were so close to the answer, but used a blower, instead of a sucker. Shop vac is the answer when you don't want to spray a fog into your work area. One you get him in the vac, a little wasp spray into the vac will finish him off.

The alternative is to take the offensive and smack him with your hand (gloved if you are worried). Much easier to get a kill on him than with the uncertainty of a rag just brushing him.
Old 03-07-2017, 04:24 PM   #18
geobet

Todd:

Thanks for your input.

You're right, one of my shop vacs could have done the trick, but....I didn't have any room for it with all the other junk, tools, and such pushed aside in the basement, and me. My blowers can stay outside (with me and running room) while I aim a 6" flex hose.

Smacking with a gloved hand would have been good also - if I wanted to get that close and take a chance of missing that sucker, in a really confined area, and then risking him seeking retaliation, which you know he would.

Old 03-07-2017, 05:37 PM   #19
xrated

One more time..........WD40, cigarette lighter, and then you can use the blower to put the flames out after the BBQ!
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 07:25 AM   #20
geobet

Xrated:

I love your posts. Probably a good thing we aren't next door neighbors. With our combined approach to such maintenance items, we'd have a TH and a 5er with bullet wounds and 3 alarm fire damage....but enjoying the BBQ!