Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 02-20-2017, 01:13 PM   #1
Mandolin

Electric pressure cooker

Just bought an Instant Pot, one of the new crop of electric pressure cookers - this is going to be a great tool while camping (anywhere with enough juice to run 9 amp for a bit). I've tried a couple of "pot in pot" recipes, where a meat (or bean) main cooks along with rice/potato and veggies and they come out well in easily under an hour, even for long cook things like stews and pot roasts.

It also makes a killer cheesecake and "lava" cake.

There are a ton of recipes floating around the seas of the internet, along with blogs, Facebook groups, pinterest boards and instagram.

I love my dutch oven, but there times I do not feel like getting the campfire or the charcoal going.
Mandolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 02:14 PM   #2
kennyskywalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandolin View Post
Just bought an Instant Pot, one of the new crop of electric pressure cookers - this is going to be a great tool while camping (anywhere with enough juice to run 9 amp for a bit). I've tried a couple of "pot in pot" recipes, where a meat (or bean) main cooks along with rice/potato and veggies and they come out well in easily under an hour, even for long cook things like stews and pot roasts.

It also makes a killer cheesecake and "lava" cake.

There are a ton of recipes floating around the seas of the internet, along with blogs, Facebook groups, pinterest boards and instagram.

I love my dutch oven, but there times I do not feel like getting the campfire or the charcoal going.
Got in pictures

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
kennyskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 02:26 PM   #3
RainbowsEnd

Love our Instant Pot also! Works great to use in the camper. Less heat and mess, enjoy!
RainbowsEnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 02:46 PM   #4
Mandolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyskywalker View Post
Got in pictures
The first things I made:
Click image for larger version

Name:	ribs_collards.jpg
Views:	670
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	11867
Old 02-20-2017, 04:32 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandolin View Post
The first things I made:
Attachment 11867

It looks like it does a nice job. I use one all the time in our houses but we don't have a pressure cooker in the RV. Looks like I need another doo dad. Did the ribs come from the cooker like that or did you brown them after they cooked?
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 09:38 PM   #6
Mandolin

Slathered the ribs with sauce and popped them in a hot oven for about 10 minutes. They'd taste the same without that step, they just wouldn't be quite as pretty. Total cooking time for the ribs - 3.2 lbs of baby back - is around 35 minutes (22 minutes actual "under pressure" time, the rest for the cooker to come up to pressure and then venting after) for nearly off-the-bone tender. I don't like them to actually fall off the bone.
Old 02-21-2017, 03:29 AM   #7
notanlines

I understand about Mandolin cooking ribs in a pressure cooker, but Sourdough? I'm sure Oregonians find it acceptable but Texans would run like the dickens from ribs in a pressure cooker. Next we'll be getting recipes for pulled pork in a slow cooker, pouring in Kraft BBQ sauce and calling it BBQ.
I am positively mortified!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 01:03 PM   #8
JimQ

Pretty sure we'll be getting one of these soon. Everyone I know that has bought one, simply loves it. When I'm camping and using a crock pot or an electric frying pan outside, I usually run an extention cord with a strip surge protector plug directly to the outlet on the campground pedestal so all that electricity doesn't have to go thru the trailers electrical panel. Why? I don't need to blow a fuse or have any worries about overload (especially in the hot weather when the A/C is running).
JimQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 02:32 PM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
I understand about Mandolin cooking ribs in a pressure cooker, but Sourdough? I'm sure Oregonians find it acceptable but Texans would run like the dickens from ribs in a pressure cooker. Next we'll be getting recipes for pulled pork in a slow cooker, pouring in Kraft BBQ sauce and calling it BBQ.
I am positively mortified!

Whoaaa!! I was just curious how the ribs got browned since I haven't been able to do that in a pressure cooker.

If I'm going to do ribs they'll be on the smoker unless I'm cooking country style and I'll sometimes put them on the grill if I'm in a hurry. Speaking of TX bbq and "smoking"/"bbq" in other places; there are virtually no BBQ places out here where we are in FL except one. I've been leery about going but finally broke down about 10 days ago. A red flag was no beef....of any kind. I ordered baby back ribs, chicken and pulled pork to try them out. Bad choice. The smoking/cooking process is very different here, or at least at that place plus the smoke used on the meat must have come from a musty palm tree. Threw it all out.
Old 02-21-2017, 02:47 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

That's like us and Gumbo or Jambalaya. There's a "Cajun Resturant" up here, even has fried green tomatoes, but..... It AIN'T Cajun, just some sort of "proximity food".... So, I'm guessing BBQ outside of Texas is like Cajun outside of south Louisiana.... It just ain't happenin'......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 03:00 PM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
That's like us and Gumbo or Jambalaya. There's a "Cajun Resturant" up here, even has fried green tomatoes, but..... It AIN'T Cajun, just some sort of "proximity food".... So, I'm guessing BBQ outside of Texas is like Cajun outside of south Louisiana.... It just ain't happenin'......

You're right. We've sampled various styles of BBQ/smoked meats across the country. There are different styles, wood used, sauces etc. but they've all been pretty good. I think here if it's not fish related they just shoot from the hip and hope for the best.

I know what you're talking about on Cajun. Our ex-daughter in law and granddaughter live in Alexandria, LA and we go down there, as well as many other places in LA, quite often. We love Cajun food of all variations. In TX, there is a place that advertises that is a genuine LA Cajun kitchen. Went in and ordered gumbo, jambalaya, crawfish and a creole fish dish. It was just sad. The Cajun style crawfish were boiled crawfish with what appeared to be pounds of Cajun seasoning piled all over it. Whoever made the gumbo never heard of roux I don't guess...I think they used brown gravy mix or something. The fish was covered with the Cajun seasoning as well. One of those deals where my wife and I just looked at each other shaking our heads.
Old 02-21-2017, 03:34 PM   #12
notanlines

I knew I could get a rise outta y'all. Brenda has worked hard over the years to make a very, very acceptable gumbo, her red beans and rice could compete with Justin Wilson himself, and catfish Atchafalaya would put a smile on all your faces. But all this comes at the expense of us having to suffer through all those Cajun restaurants and eating all those foods, learning everything we can. Shoot fire, I'm absolutely exhausted!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 04:01 PM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

The next time you're in Alexandria, head down Jackson Street Extension, all the way to the end. You'll find Robby G's Seafood. Some of the best gumbo in Louisiana.... Their crawfish is pretty good too, if you like to just "sit and eat till ya bust"......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 04:41 PM   #14
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The next time you're in Alexandria, head down Jackson Street Extension, all the way to the end. You'll find Robby G's Seafood. Some of the best gumbo in Louisiana.... Their crawfish is pretty good too, if you like to just "sit and eat till ya bust"......
I'll do that. When we go they usually keep us there. He (the ex-FIL) is a wealthy man and does things in a big way. First time we went down to meet him years ago we had a crawfish boil (we all loved crawfish except DW). When we arrived there was a stainless steel pot almost the size of a oil barrel sitting on the fire (30-40 gal.?). He and a couple of friends were having a few so I asked my son what was going on. He said he had called a friend to bring him some crawfish. In a while a pickup pulled up and pulled out a tow sack (2 guys), one you would use with a 100 lbs of taters or so. I was shocked at the amount of crawfish he was about to cook so I commented that it looked like a lot of crawfish. He said he had invited a couple of friends but that his guideline was no less than 5 lbs of crawfish for every person. I like crawfish but 5 lbs is a lot to gobble down....and I tried. Of course there were leftovers and then they made an incredible etouffee with them - THAT DW loved. Over the years they have made some really good stuff - they're native and the ex-MIL is a true Cajun but I'm going to try Robbie G's next stop.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:56 PM   #15
gearhead

Y'all are killing me. First generation Texan with 4 past gens in Louisiana.
BBQ or boudain? Chicken Fried Steak or courtbillion?
I'm having a identity crisis.
I find myself in "Alec" pretty regularly. I'll look up that place.
If y'all are ever in Lafayette, stop in Cafe Vermillionville. It was my family's "tavern" back in 1820's. Probably oldest building in town, if its the original. Good food, good bar.
cafev.com
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 09:03 PM   #16
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Y'all are killing me. First generation Texan with 4 past gens in Louisiana.
BBQ or boudain? Chicken Fried Steak or courtbillion?
I'm having a identity crisis.
I find myself in "Alec" pretty regularly. I'll look up that place.
If y'all are ever in Lafayette, stop in Cafe Vermillionville. It was my family's "tavern" back in 1820's. Probably oldest building in town, if its the original. Good food, good bar.
cafev.com
Good thought. Thanks. We are actually looking at modifying your route back to TX and it would take in Lafayette.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:24 PM   #17
gearhead

^^ look around for rv parking first! We've never pulled the 5th there, just buzz over, eat, and back home.
Just looked on Google maps....Oil Center shopping center 1 block north.
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 02-21-2017, 09:44 PM   #18
gearhead

Another one...Prejeans. On I-49 just north of I-10. Not as good as it was though. I have pulled the 5th in there.
Prejeans.com
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 02-21-2017, 09:54 PM   #19
sourdough
Site Team

Thanks! We leave FL March 1 (wife won't stay another day - her 5 year visit with the oncologist to declare her cancer free is in mid March and I can't persuade her to move it....I totally understand). We'll try to hit Lafayette and the places you mentioned....thanks!
Old 02-22-2017, 06:00 AM   #20
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
You're right. We've sampled various styles of BBQ/smoked meats across the country. There are different styles, wood used, sauces etc. but they've all been pretty good. I think here if it's not fish related they just shoot from the hip and hope for the best.

I know what you're talking about on Cajun. Our ex-daughter in law and granddaughter live in Alexandria, LA and we go down there, as well as many other places in LA, quite often. We love Cajun food of all variations. In TX, there is a place that advertises that is a genuine LA Cajun kitchen. Went in and ordered gumbo, jambalaya, crawfish and a creole fish dish. It was just sad. The Cajun style crawfish were boiled crawfish with what appeared to be pounds of Cajun seasoning piled all over it. Whoever made the gumbo never heard of roux I don't guess...I think they used brown gravy mix or something. The fish was covered with the Cajun seasoning as well. One of those deals where my wife and I just looked at each other shaking our heads.
Nothing like taking a bite of etoufee and tasting cream of mushroom soup. I asked the waitress "does this have cream of mushroom soup in it"?
Yes it does.
Al T's Winnie Texas.
2023 CanAm Defender SXS