Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-21-2016, 07:58 AM   #1
bill-e

My 2015 26RBI has 2 Grey water tanks

Hi Folks,

I peaked into the underbelly of my camper and noticed that there were 2 grey water tanks. I have 2 tank indicators on the level panel but when I asked a year ago I was told by folks on here that there really was only one tank. I only have one outlet valve for grey.

So, not so. And though I haven't/wont measure the capacity, I believe that Cougar typically used 38 gallon tanks in pairs and they advertise their Western Edition models as having 76 gallons of grey capacity.

Does anyone actually know for sure?...just curious.

2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
2015 Cougar 26RBI
bill-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 08:06 AM   #2
dcg9381

Bill, I dunno for sure, but if there is a transfer tube between the two tanks, it only makes sense to measure the level in one of them...
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 09:37 AM   #3
canesfan

Don't know for sure on yours, but I can share this if it helps. Mine has 2 gray tanks and I knew that from the literature and crawling around looking under it to confirm. What I couldn't figure out was how to dump the second gray tank. I could see the pvc running from the rear up to the main drain outlet, but there was only a black and 1 gray handle there. I finally started tracing the pvc back to the tank and where I never would have noticed it there is a valve handle stuck up in the wheel well above the rear tire. You have to be a contortionist to reach it. They put things in strange places on this stuff so dig around and you might find your second valve.
Old 04-21-2016, 10:19 AM   #4
bill-e

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcg9381 View Post
Bill, I dunno for sure, but if there is a transfer tube between the two tanks, it only makes sense to measure the level in one of them...
Sense???...this is Keystone remember

History on this is that my camper was listed as a Western Edition on a New England dealer's website. Called keystone and they said it wasn't per the VIN. The WE advertises 76 gal of grey while the East coast version advertises 56.

Anyway, I went back and found a tag and it looks like they are two 38+ gallon tanks, tied together with each having their level sensors connected. (PN TS2463sd 63x24x7") so I have no idea why my camper got the larger capacity or what else is different.

2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
2015 Cougar 26RBI
Old 04-21-2016, 11:59 AM   #5
Ken / Claudia

I doubt that 2 tanks are connected together and dumped from 1 valve. Sounds silly to me. If you looked and saw 2 tanks. Where does the rear tank drain go. If you seen it go into the 2nd tank than I guess it would. I think like other trailers it drains foreword to the dump valve where the big black tank valve and the rear gray come together and the other gray connects above them. If so you have a galley gray tank valve behind the rear wheels. How about running the galley sink and see if it fills the tank and backs up into that sink. If it fills than drains into a empty gray 2 tank like you think your panel would show that.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 12:40 PM   #6
bill-e

Two tanks, one valve. Both tank indicators fill up at the same time and both empty at the same time...been using this camper for a year, only ever used the one and only grey dump valve. My only question was did I have 56 or 76 gal of holding. Now I know it's 76.

Tanks are mounted side by side and while I cant see everything it appears that the outlets come off the inside towards the rear of the tank/trailer and meet into one 3 or 4" pipe.

Actually not silly to me at all, why would one want two separate tanks when one can connect them and have only one to worry about filling and emptying?

Here's the pic. I tried to add arrows depicting the direction of flow and I overexposed the pic to better see the black pipe

2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
2015 Cougar 26RBI
Old 04-21-2016, 12:43 PM   #7
dcg9381

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill-e View Post
Sense???...this is Keystone remember
The WE advertises 76 gal of grey while the East coast version advertises 56.
Anyway, I went back and found a tag and it looks like they are two 38+ gallon tanks, tied together with each having their level sensors connected. (PN TS2463sd 63x24x7") so I have no idea why my camper got the larger capacity or what else is different.
I've read the BBB complaints against Keystone on "advertised" tank size versus actual (when the tanks are not tied together).

I suppose when they can label the dump handles right, we'll consider that a start...

Why you'd tie them together at the same point and then have two different level systems is kinda beyond me..
Old 04-21-2016, 01:00 PM   #8
bill-e

Actually my camper has been great. I've only had one problem, my outdoor speakers don't work and I'm having the stereo replaced tomorrow. Other than that we've not had a single issue with the camper. I got it in July '15 and camped about 8 times with it so far.

My valves were even properly labeled

2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
2015 Cougar 26RBI
Old 04-21-2016, 02:15 PM   #9
dcg9381

And you got a *real* 78 gallon tank too! Always happy to hear positive feedback.
Old 04-21-2016, 03:06 PM   #10
Ken / Claudia

Another Keystone thing? I guess. Still silly for me, maybe I am just old school. Each tank and a valve to control the fluids it that tank if and when needed. I guess it saved them the cost of a valve and maybe drain pipe. Some even have gray water going into black water tank.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 08:04 PM   #11
schoolbusjudi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
Another Keystone thing? I guess. Still silly for me, maybe I am just old school. Each tank and a valve to control the fluids it that tank if and when needed. I guess it saved them the cost of a valve and maybe drain pipe. Some even have gray water going into black water tank.
Hi, Judi here. I thought the two tanks were tied together as I couldn't see any other option with only one dump valve. Hank thought that was illegal. Guess not. The underbelly is all enclosed so that we are not able to see where or how many tanks are there. Hank put some septic cleaner in the toilet today hoping that would clean it out IF that is the reason nothing drains. The bottle is a year old, so tomorrow we will purchase a fresh one and hopefully that works. Do you have any idea what else could be holding the water back? Hank filled the black holding tank via a hose into the toilet. Nothing is moving. = (
schoolbusjudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 06:20 AM   #12
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoolbusjudi View Post
Hi, Judi here. I thought the two tanks were tied together as I couldn't see any other option with only one dump valve. Hank thought that was illegal. Guess not. The underbelly is all enclosed so that we are not able to see where or how many tanks are there. Hank put some septic cleaner in the toilet today hoping that would clean it out IF that is the reason nothing drains. The bottle is a year old, so tomorrow we will purchase a fresh one and hopefully that works. Do you have any idea what else could be holding the water back? Hank filled the black holding tank via a hose into the toilet. Nothing is moving. = (
Judi, Put together a signature (new rule on forum) and we may be able to help. Most campers with two gray tanks have one that has a handle easy to find the other handle will be tucked up under the camper just behind the rear driver sice wheel.
https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=52977
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 07:01 AM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Some trailers have two gray water tanks, one for the galley one for the bathroom, some trailers have only one gray tank for everything. Every toilet I've ever seen in an RV has its own black tank. As a general rule, one toilet, one black tank, two toilets means two black tanks. Also, on almost all Keystone trailers, EVERY tank will have its own dump valve.

If this is a new trailer, then the dealership needs to address "customer education and training" and if this is an older, used trailer, then there's a good chance that a previous owner might have modified the trailer or lost a valve handle while towing, so you may need repairs or replacement parts. Without specific trailer information, there's no way to even start to explain a repair.

Without knowing what trailer brand, model and year you might have and without knowing more about what conditions you're using the trailer for, it's impossible to even know what problems you might have and the same goes for any solutions to your problems....

That said, post your trailer information, how the black tank is used (do you always dump only when it's full? or has the valve been open so it never fills? or ..... )

At this point, DO NOT POUR ANY CHEMICALS DOWN THE TOILET !!!!! Many "home type sewer products" are harmful to the plastic in RV holding tanks, some will damage or even destroy the seals in the dump valves and some may even "eat a hole in the tank, dumping all its contents inside your trailer belly..... Hold off on putting anything in the toilet or shower or sinks for now, let's first determine the what, where, why, and when of your problem.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 07:44 AM   #14
sourdough
Site Team

Welcome to the forum. As has been pointed out it's difficult to address your questions without information. It sounds like you are just missing a dump valve handle. If the unit is old the black tank could be "stopped" up with the dreaded poo pyramid. We just need to know more to intelligently address your situation. Posting the information that has been pointed out in your signature will help all of us.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 08:05 PM   #15
schoolbusjudi

Handles Found!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Judi, Put together a signature (new rule on forum) and we may be able to help. Most campers with two gray tanks have one that has a handle easy to find the other handle will be tucked up under the camper just behind the rear driver sice wheel.
https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=52977
Good Evening, I have no idea what the signature thing is about. I'm so tired of being told to do this and that and then having no idea what it is I am supposed to do. With that off my chest here is the good news...hubby was able to slide under the camper and drop the entire rear protective cover. It was then that he saw a rod and followed it to the outer edge of the camper. There are two handles painted black and hard to see that are right at the edge. After working his way back out from under the camper, he pulled the handles and all that clean water that he had added drained perfectly well. The local Keystone dealer Service departments were absolutely no help at all.
We appreciate all the help we received on the forum. It saved a great deal of money, time, and effort. It was hard for Hank to get down and back up from the cement carport, but well worth the effort.
PS there is only one grey water tank.
Old 10-07-2022, 08:13 PM   #16
schoolbusjudi

Hank, the hubby, and I couldn't find the handles for the black and grey holding tanks. After crawling underneath and dropping the protective panel, he was able to follow a rod to the hard to find painted black handles that open the two holding tanks. After crawling out he opened the handles and everything flowed perfectly. It was difficult for him at 77 to do that job, but well worth the effort. We thank everyone on the Forum for their ideas. The local Keystone Service Depts. were absolutely worthless!! And we are unable to download a 2003 Outback Owners Manual from the company! Go Figure!
We've been camping in various rv's for 52 years. This was a strange way to put the handles...totally unseen without being able to get on all fours and look UP under the camper. Hank and Judi
Old 10-08-2022, 04:12 AM   #17
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Good Evening, I have no idea what the signature thing is about. I'm so tired of being told to do this and that and then having no idea what it is I am supposed to do. With that off my chest here is the good news...hubby was able to slide under the camper and drop the entire rear protective cover. It was then that he saw a rod and followed it to the outer edge of the camper. There are two handles painted black and hard to see that are right at the edge. After working his way back out from under the camper, he pulled the handles and all that clean water that he had added drained perfectly well. The local Keystone dealer Service departments were absolutely no help at all.
We appreciate all the help we received on the forum. It saved a great deal of money, time, and effort. It was hard for Hank to get down and back up from the cement carport, but well worth the effort.
The signature thing is simply this,

Go to the top of the page. You'll see a black bar with words in white letters. On the far left side is "UserCP" . Click on it and a new page (screen) will open.

In that new page you can fill in the information to create a signature. This is now required in the forum rules. There's a link at the bottom of every screen that will open the forum rules labeled "community rules". At the bottom of the screen you will find it in blue bar with white letters, right in the middle, the 5 th word in either direction.

Hope that clarifies this for you. Please let us know if you need further assistance.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 10:47 AM   #18
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Maam, You joined this forum for assistance I guess. The rule comes from those who moderate the forum, not me. The link I posted has instructions on how to create a signature. Sorry but I wasn't telling you to do what you don't know how to do as the instructions are there. If you are getting tired of instructions, well by golly, there are options but please don't shoot the messenger.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote