Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-17-2016, 06:30 AM   #1
CaptnJohn

Louvered 5th Wheel Tailgate

Has anyone installed one of these on their truck? I have a 2016 F250 with the 6.7. Not looking for an increase in MPG, but would be nice. More in not needing to drop the tailgate.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 06:39 AM   #2
CaptnJohn

Found one of steel on line and CW has one of composite weighing only 34#. Either would be a weight savings. Does water from wet roads get sucked into the bed?

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
Old 04-17-2016, 06:50 AM   #3
WaltBennett

First off, they don't give you any more mileage. There's been several studies done on this. With a composite one, you may save some weight and then gain a quarter or less mpg. Only good thing with them is it's easier to hitch up a gooseneck, but not so much with a 5th wheel as the pin doesn't stick down as far. Otherwise, they're way expensive for what value you get out of them. My used/new truck came with one, but I put a piece of plywood on it with zip ties to keep water out with a fold-up canvas cap (Softtopper). Would have been happier with the stock one.

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 07:31 AM   #4
SADLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
Has anyone installed one of these on their truck? I have a 2016 F250 with the 6.7. Not looking for an increase in MPG, but would be nice. More in not needing to drop the tailgate.
Would you not lose a rear camer? Supposing that one exists in your tailgate handle.

I personally don't think it would add much value.. Sure you ~might~ be able to hook/unhook without lowering the gate... But I suspect that (if you could), it would only work in a straight line. If at any sort of angle to the 5er, you would have to drop it anyway.
SADLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 10:38 AM   #5
bartbill

I just put one on my 2015 Ram. I've already had one near accident with the stock gate and it is just a matter of time until mess it up. Still working on the issue of the tailgate mounted camera.

I also had one on my 2002 F-250.

I think they are worth it just to not have to drop the tailgate to hook and unhook.
bartbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 10:57 AM   #6
TAZ23

I prefer to have the stock tailgate so water and snow don't get in with tonneau cover on. I don't mind opening and closing the gate to hook up. Heck its easier to do now than before with the tailgate assist on my last two trucks. Plus the back up camera as mentioned.
TAZ23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 02:19 PM   #7
CWSWine

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZ23 View Post
I prefer to have the stock tailgate so water and snow don't get in with tonneau cover on. I don't mind opening and closing the gate to hook up. Heck its easier to do now than before with the tailgate assist on my last two trucks. Plus the back up camera as mentioned.
I with you but I will admit I have a chip out top of my tailgate....
2016 GMC Denila 1 ton Diesel CC 3722
2017 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R
Montana 3711FL Front Living Room 5er
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 03:11 PM   #8
cpaulsen

Have one on my Superduty and would never change back. Bought one on Craigslist for 50 bucks and sold my stock one for 250.00. So easy to hook up and unhook.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 08:14 PM   #9
bsmith0404

There are pros and cons to them as already mentioned by some. I personally don't use one and I don't think it's that big of an issue to drop the tailgate for hitching/unhitching. I'll admit I almost made a big mistake one day and closed my tailgate out of habit after disconnecting the wiring and almost pulled forward, caught it last second. The biggest value, IMO, is if you ever find yourself towing on slippery roads (mainly snow and ice). The tailgate actually causes the wind to hit the underside of the 5th wheel creating lift which could cause a loss of control due to light weight on the rear axle. (there have been studies to show this).

If you do decide to get one, get one with some form of lock. I've heard the latches on many of them is poor. You don't want the tailgate to drop down while you're towing, especially if you're in a turn, it can cause some serious damage to the front of your 5er. I lock my regular tailgate as well.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 08:18 AM   #10
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
There are pros and cons to them as already mentioned by some. I personally don't use one and I don't think it's that big of an issue to drop the tailgate for hitching/unhitching. I'll admit I almost made a big mistake one day and closed my tailgate out of habit after disconnecting the wiring and almost pulled forward, caught it last second. The biggest value, IMO, is if you ever find yourself towing on slippery roads (mainly snow and ice). The tailgate actually causes the wind to hit the underside of the 5th wheel creating lift which could cause a loss of control due to light weight on the rear axle. (there have been studies to show this).

If you do decide to get one, get one with some form of lock. I've heard the latches on many of them is poor. You don't want the tailgate to drop down while you're towing, especially if you're in a turn, it can cause some serious damage to the front of your 5er. I lock my regular tailgate as well.
Many opinions pro and con. I have a hitch cover but do not cover the bed as little is ever hauled in the bed ~ our F150 can handle that. The F250 is my daily driver as it is more fun to drive. Still thinking about which way to go. Good thought on locking the tailgate as that never came to mind.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
Old 04-18-2016, 07:06 PM   #11
bsmith0404

I had my tailgate drop on me one time. Luckily it was in a straight line. Personally I think someone messed with it. I had just stopped for a break, came out and found the break away cable disconnected. Next thing I knew the tailgate dropped. Luckily I always do a good walk around after each stop. Now I lock the tailgate whenever I'm connected to the trailer and give it a good tug test.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
Old 04-18-2016, 09:40 PM   #12
denverpilot

The former owner of my TV had one on the truck. It rattled and never seemed to latch well. He had offered that he had the original tailgate stored and would sell it with the truck to me, and I'm glad I took it. Put it back on and the louvered thing sits, collecting dust.
Old 04-19-2016, 05:49 AM   #13
Barbell

On our old truck, after I destroyed the original tailgate, I put one from CW on and was pleased with it. Never had to put it down to hook up or unhook even if at an angle. When we traded for the new truck, I kept the tailgate thinking I would use it but haven't because of the lock and camera in tailgate of the new truck. The CW tailgate for "94-'02 Dodge is for sale if anyone is interested.
Barbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 08:18 AM   #14
Dave W

It took me 37 years of owning 5ers to 'bend' a stock tailgate. I now have a steel, lockable, Custom Flow tailgate with their filler piece to fill the notch when I'm not towing. As far as using with an Extang soft tonneau and a piece of plywood to cover the louvers - works well for me. I also put the OEM unit back on if I'm not going to tow the 5er, say for instance, over the winter. That takes about 5 minutes to change out - remove the security lock, 2 cables, rotate to 45* and off it comes. The camera adds a few seconds to unhook - rehook up. It usually takes longer to find the security lock key since it usually gets stored exactly where I can forget where when CRS happens. Fuel mileage - who cares. We don't have these toys to pinch pennies to farthings. Disrupted and lifting air flow - I doubt it really makes a difference when you have 2-2500 or even more pounds holding things down vs the OEM barn door.
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 08:47 AM   #15
tgpilot

I've used the V style tailgate on all my trucks for the last thirty years or more. I once had an engineer tell me that trucks are designed for the best fuel mileage with the tailgate up. Not down, or off as a lot of people do.
Old 04-20-2016, 08:29 PM   #16
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
Disrupted and lifting air flow - I doubt it really makes a difference when you have 2-2500 or even more pounds holding things down vs the OEM barn door.
Many transport companies make drivers remove tailgates during winter months because lift from airflow off the tailgate has been shown to be a contributing factor to losing control on icy roads. Some don't make you remove them, but they will make you sign a waiver for leaving it on. I'm just passing on information that I have been briefed on. Personally, I don't know how much of a difference it makes and I'm not going to spend time or money to conduct a study to prove the insurance companies wrong.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
Old 04-21-2016, 11:09 AM   #17
CaptnJohn

OK ~~ a couple things...

Tailgate causing lift effecting the handling on ice/snow. If the result is less weight on the rear axel would that increase pin weight? And would that not also put more weight on the front axel?

Still thinking about replacing the tailgate only to make things simplified on hitching/unhitching. If MPG is increased I'm guessing the amount so negligible itwill not be noticed so is not a concern unless diesel hits $8 or more.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
Old 04-21-2016, 12:09 PM   #18
Dave W

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post

Tailgate causing lift effecting the handling on ice/snow. If the result is less weight on the rear axel would that increase pin weight? And would that not also put more weight on the front axel?
Who really cares? I have had zero- zip - nada lift indicated in 15,000 or more miles with two 5er nor will you. As far as a commercial vehicle ............ I don't have one, will never have one nor ever expect to haul my 5er on an icy road. Mine is on my truck for my convenience sake and to maybe never ever wing another tailgate though did take a bit of paint off the notched area of the 'gate during a weird off camber campsite in, I believe, NM last fall. They do make life easier hooking/unhooking, especially if your truck rear end is close to the 5er vs trying to put that 75 pound OEM tailgate up while hunched over.
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 08:47 PM   #19
CaptnJohn

Agree Dave it is a mute point. I'll never have another commercial vehicle and never PLAN on hauling on ice or snow. Only may get caught heading to FL in January. You hit the nail on the head ~ looking to make life easier hooking and unhooking. There is a slice in the tailgate protector from when unhitching in Florida last winter. Nothing to the tailgate but before trading the truck it will need replaced. Mostly on the road until June so need to start researching where to buy. The composite is out as it is not designed to hold more than about 100#. Wish it was as it only weighs 34#.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
Old 04-22-2016, 06:08 PM   #20
theeyres

I'm really surprised by the negative comments. We have had several fivers along with several trucks and I wouldn't even think of pulling a fiver without the notched tailgate. It makes hooking and unhooking 100% easier. I'll bet 90% of those who say they wouldn't have one have never had one to realize how much easier they are. I'm not concerned whether they save me a minimal mpg or not...it's all about ease. When I wasn't towing for an extended time I could pop it off and put on the original tailgate in 2 minutes or less.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote