Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-23-2015, 01:26 PM   #1
1l243

Black Tank Rinse Premier 19fbpr

Winterizing today. Let me also say this trailer is brand new and we have not even used it yet. I hooked up air hose to black tank rinse (40psi) and I don't hear a thing. I added tornado tank cleaners to my last trailer and I could hear them buzzing around in there. Now, unlike this trailer my old trailer did not have a sealed underbelly and the floor was not insulated.

Should I be hearing the black tank rinse working? maybe I will hook up the water hose to it and see if that makes a difference?
1l243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 01:53 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Yes, you should hear air/water flowing through the system. It may be that you're not "listening" in the right place? If you open the bath vanity and locate the anti-siphon valve, some people have found that it is installed backwards, others have found that the rubber disc inside has "stuck" to the mount and won't let air pass. It should "rattle" when you shake it. That anti-siphon valve is the "weakest link" in the black tank flush system and is the part that causes the most issues.

When we use our black tank flush I hear a "vibratory water flow" going into the black tank. When I open the vanity and listen, I hear a very distinct flow of water, much louder than a "typical faucet" sound.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 04:17 PM   #3
1l243

I connected a water hose to the black tank flush and the water does not flow. Being blocked somehow.

So the anti siphon valve in the vanity is for the black tank flush? Can you tell by looking at it the valve if it's correct?
Old 11-23-2015, 04:25 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Yes it is under the vanity, tucked way up top behind the sink and next to the faucet connections. If yours is installed like most, there are 4 half inch PEX pipes, one red, one blue (for the hot/cold water to the faucet) and two white. Since there's no way (under the sink) to tell which is the input to the anti-siphon valve and which is the output from the valve to the tank outlet, no you can't tell by "looking at it" if it's installed correctly. That's probably the reason so many are installed "backwards" at the factory.

If you connected a hose and didn't get water flow, turn the valve around. If you still don't have water flow, contact your dealership. Good Luck

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 11-23-2015, 05:45 PM   #5
1l243

On mine which is a 2016 19fbpr the siphon valve in in the closet in the bathroom. It sticks up about 18" through a hole in the bottom of the closet. Tomorrow I will switch the valve around and see what happens...
Old 11-24-2015, 06:38 AM   #6
jsmith948

Just a thought - if you can get your head anywhere near the anti-siphon, look for an arrow embossed on the side of the valve indicating flow direction. Might save you the trouble of removing the valve? On ours, the vertical fitting was "in" and the horizontal fitting was "out". I say was because we no longer use the valve.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 11:44 AM   #7
1l243

I pulled the valve I guess I am not getting how this thing is supposed to work. The flow arrow goes from the black tank rinse inlet to the black tank. That is way they have it plumbed. If I blow in the valve part (where my fingers are) in the direction of flow it shuts off by pushing up on a float. If I suck on it I get air. If I blow on the other end of the valve it's blocked?

I really can't tell if this valve is supposed to be a siphon valve or a back flow valve. It's only function is on the black tank rinse line. If its back flow valve shouldn't the direction of flow be from the black tank to the rinse outlet?

Old 11-24-2015, 11:57 AM   #8
cw3jason

air or water in the dirction of the arrow forces the valve up and blocks the vent directing the water or air down to the black tank. when pressure is relieved the valve drops back down, opening the vent. this allows air into the system which prevents any syphon effect so you do not get black water being syphoned from the tank and out the connection.

I hope that makes sense
B&W Patriot 16k fifth wheel hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 12:54 PM   #9
slow

Some of us have hard plumbed a couple of 90 degree elbows to replace the plastic anti-siphon and have added a brass anti-siphon to our dedicated water hose that we attach to the black flush inlet on the outside of the TT. Less likely to have a flood in the TT. Something to consider now that you have removed it.

Here is what I did at the location of the plastic anti-siphon valve: http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/album.php?albumid=705
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 05:05 PM   #10
bill-e

I had the same thing happen, the manufacturer sent me a new one and told me how to fix the old one.

Remove the white spacer and the spring from the output end of the valve. Turn it upside down and see if a white ball falls out....I bet it wont, it's stuck in the valve.

If the ball is stuck, take the valve and bang that end real hard on a solid surface until the ball pops out.

Once it pops out, drop it back in, install the spring and spacer and reinstall the valve. It will now work.

Very bad design, I can see this happening all the time.

2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
2015 Cougar 26RBI
bill-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 05:37 PM   #11
1l243

I think the ball was stuck in the valve. I pushed on it then I was able to blow air through it. Thought it was fixed put it back on and still restricted. So I by-passed the valve with a elbow and it still was blocked. So, I guess the line is kinked somewhere under the floor. I don't relish the idea them tearing apart the sealed underbelly so they can fix it but I guess that is the only choice.. Maybe next spring won't mess with it now..
Old 11-24-2015, 05:46 PM   #12
bill-e

If you didn't get the ball to fall out then it's still blocked. When you blew on it did air actually come out the the output or out the bypass?

Anyway, another thing you can try is to remove the valve or elbow and blow into the hose end that goes to the tank. While troubleshooting the problem, I had to be a contortionist to do that but I was able to get a little flow through so I knew it was the valve.

And

A kink seems unlikely to me.

2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
2015 Cougar 26RBI
Old 11-24-2015, 07:05 PM   #13
1l243

I by-passed the valve altogether and it was still blocked at least I did not hear anything and no fluid came out the black tank when the rinse water was on and dump valve open (trailer is new and never used so I can get away with that)
Old 11-24-2015, 07:15 PM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Are there two dump valves in the same general vicinity? On a large number of trailers, the dump valves are mismarked and the black tank is actually the gray. Is it possible that water is actually flowing into the tank, you can't hear it and when you pull the valve, you're pulling the gray tank, not the black tank. Try pulling the other valve and see if water flows from the tank.....

If that's not the situation and the trailer has not been used, rather than disassemble and try to repair it yourself. Let the dealer handle it if he's somewhere close.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 12-05-2015, 12:12 AM   #15
1l243

I dropped the underbelly under the bathroom at the rear of the trailer and there it was the black tank rinse line was kinked. There is no way the pex tubing was going to make that 90 degree bend. I wonder if the factory routes all the lines like that. I cut out the kink and put in a Quick Connect elbow. All is good now..

Old 12-05-2015, 04:53 AM   #16
bill-e

Wow, I would have never guessed that. How difficult was it to drop the underbelly?

2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
2015 Cougar 26RBI
Old 12-06-2015, 04:03 PM   #17
1l243

I dropped several screws along the back just to get a peek with a flashlight. There is no extra insulation in there so I could see right away that the line was kinked. To get to the line I had to drop the gas line for the portable BBQ on the right side and remove a few more screws. I was then able to reach the kinked line. Was not bad.
Old 01-27-2016, 09:45 AM   #18
Charby

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1l243 View Post
I dropped several screws along the back just to get a peek with a flashlight. There is no extra insulation in there so I could see right away that the line was kinked. To get to the line I had to drop the gas line for the portable BBQ on the right side and remove a few more screws. I was then able to reach the kinked line. Was not bad.
Did you get any water flowing through line? I have used mine and found very little water coming out of outlet. I am afraid of using too much pressure on these lines. Starting to think it could be a little kinky!
Old 01-27-2016, 01:25 PM   #19
Pmedic4

Black tank flush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charby View Post
Did you get any water flowing through line? I have used mine and found very little water coming out of outlet. I am afraid of using too much pressure on these lines. Starting to think it could be a little kinky!
We usually get a good flow out of the BW Tank when using the flush connection. If we use the water pump to flush, I can't usually hear anything, but that is mostly because the pump is making noise, but see the flowing 'clean' water. If I connect it up to a regular hose, like some dumpstations or a full hookup site, I can actually hear the water spraying - and if I'm not mistaken/crazy, it sounds like the flush port actually rotates?? Obviously I can't see it, but it sounds like a whirring sound.

When time permits, I'll let the BW Flush a fairly long time, just careful not to be inconsiderate when at a dumpstation and there is someone waiting in line. It seems like no matter how long you let it run, there is always something that comes out if you have the patience - the BW tank flush I mean!

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 08:23 PM   #20
1l243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charby View Post
I think you could be right.

You can drop a couple of the screws at the rear of the trailer and pull down on the underbelly and look in there with a flashlight. Check out the photos I posted earlier. Look for the white hose...