Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2015, 05:04 PM   #1
BlueThunder34

How to weigh at the truck scales

I really would like to weigh my truck and trailer for my own piece of mind vs my hypothetical numbers and calculations. How hard is this to do? Where do I find a local truck scale to do this and not end up at the busiest truck weigh station holding up truckers trying to get down the road and make a living. I've read some articles on doing this but still don't have a clear idea of how many times I need to go over the scales, once with trailer, without, are WDH bars supposed to be on? I want to get my GCVW, as well as tounge weight and trailer weight. Any help or advice from those who have gone on this adventure would be much appreciated!
BlueThunder34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 06:10 PM   #2
CarKath

It is as simple as going to your local ( local being a relative statement ) certified public scale . It is a very simple process. Pull on to the scale to the point where your driver window is equal to the com system to talk to them inside. At that point your steering axle, drive axle and trailer axles should all be on different sections of the scale. As the com system is designed for trucks, it will probably be to high for you to use. Walk into the store , ask for and pay for your scale ticket. The information you need is all on that ticket. Some quick math give you all the info you will need. Unless of course you want your truck tare weight, then you would have to unhook and scale just the truck. Google certified public scale and I am sure you will find one nearby you.

Good Luck
Carl
Dog : Tucker
Cats: Beaudie and Jangles
CarKath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 08:24 PM   #3
KanTC

BlueThunder,

http://catscale.com/how-to-weigh

Scroll about 1/2 way down the page... there's a photo/explanation of how your truck & trailer should be positioned on the platforms. And, there's a video too.
A bit further down that page, there's also photo/explanations for truck & 5th wheel, and others.

You may be required to pay "prior to" weighing, depending on what each scale/station requests of the general public.
Most attendants are helpful though & will answer any questions you might have.

CAT Scale locator http://catscale.com/cat-scale-locator

Hope this helps.
Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 04:54 PM   #4
BlueThunder34

Thanks guys. How do I get the tounge weight with the trailer hooked up to the truck?
Old 06-30-2015, 05:21 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

You will need multiple weights. Pull the rig onto the scales with the tow vehicle front axle on pad #1, tow vehicle rear axle on pad #2 and both trailer axles on pad #3.

First: Weigh the entire rig WITH the weight distribution system engaged.

Second: DO NOT MOVE THE RIG, uncouple the weight distribution system (leave the bars in the hitch) and weigh the entire rig

Third: Tow the rig off the scale, unhitch, then pull the tow vehicle back onto the scale (front axle on pad #1 and rear axle on pad #2)and weigh the tow vehicle.

With this information you can determine: GCW, GVW, GTW, Hitch Weight, Distributed hitch Weight and Front and Rear Axle Weights of the tow vehicle and axle weight of the trailer. You won't be able to determine front/rear trailer axle weights unless you carefully coordinate that with the scale weighmaster. To obtain that weight, you'll need to pull the tow vehicle off the scale and position the trailer with the front axle on pad #1 and the rear axle on pad #2. It will take two people to position the trailer properly, a spotter to tell you when to stop and you in the tow vehicle. There is usually no need to get individual trailer axle weights unless you are having some "issues" with weight distribution or unless there is some special problem with tire wear/axle hub heat buildup, etc.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 06:25 PM   #6
CarKath

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueThunder34 View Post
Thanks guys. How do I get the tounge weight with the trailer hooked up to the truck?
As I said. Unhook after first scale. Weigh just the truck. Some math give you that weight. Rear / drive axle of truck 1st scale with trailer minus just the truck drive axle weight = tongue weight.

Carl
Dog : Tucker
Cats: Beaudie and Jangles
CarKath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 04:36 PM   #7
BlueThunder34

Thanks everyone, this is helpful. Now I can get my real numbers and stop guesstimating.
Old 07-17-2015, 03:25 AM   #8
jimbari

Great information, thanks BlueThunder34 for asking the question.

It's been years since I've used scales (or towed a RV), but when I was interested, I went to my local Sand & Gravel Pit and could weigh total weight, as those scales were very simple but accurate.

Had no idea how "public" scales worked. Cool.
jimbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 05:07 PM   #9
Bolter303

I just weighed my unit and it was really easy. I also followed the work sheet I got from Fifth Wheel St. They also have an app that you can use.

Don
Las Vegas NV
2015 Montana 3710FL
Ford F350 CC DRW
Bolter303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 07:53 PM   #10
CWtheMan

Here is one that provides a worksheet.

http://www.trucktires.com/bridgeston.../WeighForm.pdf
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 10:37 PM   #11
MattHelm21

"Weigh My Truck" App

I wanted to resurrect this old thread because I've searched the forum and don't see any information about this. I've been weighing my previous truck and RV at Cat Scales as outlined in this thread. I've been planning on weighing the new trailer and TV and noticed that there was an APP for IOS(I think it is available for Android as well). It is called "Weigh My Truck" and you need to run it on a GPS enabled device. After account setup, you just pull your rig onto the platforms and instead of pushing the button on the pole that is probably out of reach anyway, you press the button on the app and your weigh will be billed to your payment method on file and weights will be displayed on your app. Oh yeah, keep your window down as the weighmaster will come on over the speaker to confirm your company(just make something up when you create the account). There is no reason to go inside to pick up the ticket unless you want that record for other reasons(I took a screenshot on my phone). The price is the same for using the app as going inside to pay.

I was on the scale, off and on my way in about a minute. No need to find a parking place unless you need the ticket or need to unhitch for the second weight.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:15 AM   #12
canesfan

It will also email a PDF copy of your ticket to an email address you can supply. They will hold your ticket inside for an hour if you need it according to the info.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:47 AM   #13
Ken / Claudia

Bluethunder, if you live near Portland I can give you 5 DOT weight stations locations maybe more I think hard enough in the area. None are open 24/7. All have readouts available 24/7 for seeing your weight. To make real easy. Weight 2 times only. Check weight of truck without trailer, record each axle. Hook up trailer, Check weight of each axle, everyone. Compare truck axle rear wt. and truck front axle wt.. The difference will be the pin or tongue wt. The front axle may be more or less than empty so addition and subtraction skills are needed. These scales will record any weight within 200lbs of 100% and show readouts as I recall in 20lb min difference. They are not made to check light weight stuff like you standing on them.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 10:01 AM   #14
Todd727

THANKS MATT!!

I hated the process of weighing, mostly because of not being able to easily reach the comm box and then having to make another trip inside.

Cool find. Appreciate it.