Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-22-2015, 07:03 PM   #1
ajk170

F150 Towing Outback 316RL

Ok, I am a total new-guy to the TT world. Maybe it wasn't the best idea to make my first TT so big but I''m confident I can handle the rig on the road and backing it up. My concern is in my TV. I have a 2010 F150 4x2 super crew shortbed with a 5.4L, 3.55 diff, tow pack w/o the factory e-brake (my daily driver). If I read and researched both my trailer and TV correctly, I'm not overweight when dry or wet. I use a blue ox 1500 sway pro. Blue Ox tells me I'm OK with using the 1500 and do not need to step down to the 1000 pound bars.

So my concern with my rig is the odd feeling I get when driving down the road like a push/pull sensation. Plus, when I get to the destination it's a real bear to disconnect from the hitch. I've lubricated the hitch springs with teflon lube multiple times and it seems to help the receiver trigger the hitch latch when connecting and disconnecting. But there are times when I'm almost lifting the back of my TV with the trailer when trying to disconnect.

Do these symptoms (odd oscillation when driving and difficulty getting the hitch latch to release) suggest an overload of the TV? Would adding helper springs and better shocks help?

Blue Ox suggested letting out a link or two on the chains. I tried it on one of my moves and I thought it felt better (didn't notice the oscillation as much) but didn't like the resulting sag and thought it was more than what was good for the truck.

My initial thought is to stiffen the rear suspension with better shocks (Bilsteins 5100s) and helper springs (Super Springs) in order to reduce sag so that I let more links out on the WDH. I may have to use a whole Bilstein leveling kit on both front and rear to reduce stress and wear and tare on the TV. But I'm not certain that adding the helper springs and new shocks/struts will do what I think it should- i.e. increase my TV's capacity to handle the heavy load. Pulling the load from a stop is slow going but highway speeds can get it to 65-70ish

Buying a new truck is out of the question for the next couple years so I hope fixing the suspension is the key to fixing the feeling that I'm experiencing and difficulty in connecting/disconnecting from the WDH receiver.

Thanks for the help and insight!
ajk170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 07:31 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

A couple of thoughts:

As for the difficult uncouplings, have you checked to make sure your locking pawls that slide under the hitch ball are correctly tightened? If they are too tight, they will not slide easily when you lift the uncoupling lever. Also, is the ball/shank sitting upright? If it is tilted too far back or forward, the pawls can't slide under the ball properly.

As for the "pitching motion" You didn't say what type tires you've got on your F150. If they are "P" series tires with a maximum PSI rating of 41 or 44 PSI, they may be your issue. The sidewalls aren't stiff enough and as they roll and the trailer pitches, they set up a sidewall flex that can be felt as a "bucking" or "push/pull" in the driver's seat. Run your tires at maximum pressure, make sure your hitch equalizer bars are properly setup so they bring the front fenders back to as close as possible to their unloaded height and that the trailer is sitting level as is the truck.

With a 36' trailer, you are pushing the outside limit for a half ton truck, so I wouldn't start investing in "add-on's" until you know that everything is set up correctly and the rig is "doing the best it can" Then, if you think the truck needs help, start assessing what to do next. This is my "thought" (others may disagree) I wouldn't start throwing money into adding things to the truck until I knew that it is set up correctly and that everything is working optimally. Adding new shocks, or overload air bags or ???? may resolve some of the issues, but is it really helping or is it masking something that should have been fixed or properly adjusted?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 07:46 PM   #3
ajk170

JRTJH- thanks for the thoughts- I haven't looked at the tires since I didn't realize this could create that type of issue. I'll check the plumb on the ball/shank. Initial inspection suggests it's good but I'll look harder at that one.

I'll go through a deliberate measurement of the front end with the Blue Ox.

Any suggestions on tire types to run on the TV?
Old 03-22-2015, 07:56 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

On my 2010 F150 FX4 SCAB 145" WB, I ran Michelin LTX/AT2 265/65R18 LRE. They were rough riding when empty, even at 50 PSI, but they felt solid and stabile on the road.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 11:46 AM   #5
tirnanah

I'm running Cooper Discoverers (sp) on my GMC 1500 pulling a 323BH outback. I can get the exact model for you if you'd like (don't have the truck with me today). I know they are load range E and my truck is handling the weight great. I never pulled with the stock tires knowing I would need the heavier load range with the trailer. I did put a super spring just to help out the sag a little and it made a huge difference in how the truck rode with the trailer on, and it doesn't hurt it when just driving around.

One note on the super springs if you put them on, there is a certain weight (don't know exactly what it is, you'll know when you hit it) that you can hit with them that it barely activates the spring and will make your truck bounce around a little from the extra spring. I hit it the other day and felt every little bump in the road like seasickness.. Usually I don't even notice that they are on...

Thanks,
Doug
tirnanah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 01:10 PM   #6
GaryWT

The push and pull on a highway is common when a truck, bus or other RV passes you. You get use to it in time and if you keep an eye out you can be ready for it.

On my trailer I have to hit a sweet spot to open the latch and then lift the trailer/truck to get the ball out. Once you get use to that then it is quick and easy. Sometimes it is just a matter of pull forward or back to take the pressure off once your wheel chocks are set.

When I towed with a 150 I had P tires with a max inflation of 35 psi. I looked at upgrading and the tires had psi's of 44 or 65. The tire dealer told me I would have to run those at 35 because that is what the door of the truck said. Did not make science to me but I never bought the tires.

Just watch your payload and don't over load your trailer. Good luck.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 03:11 PM   #7
Goingfor9

My story is similiar to you. My first tt I purchased is very similiar weight and length wise to you. I was towing with an 2010 F150 platinum 4x4. I was over weight on though. With my hitch weight dry being 980 lbs then adding stuff inside the TT and propane and batteries my hitch weight had to be 1200 lbs by the time I added my hitch. Add people and bikes to the bike and I was over. It didn't bother me that I was 100lbs or so over. It did pull the camper ok but I had the same kinda of push pull when traveling. Not real bad but occasionally. I added new XL P rated tires and purchased airbags to help with the sag. It all helped a little. Finally after replacing the brakes earlier than when I shoukd of after pulling the camper I purchased an f250. Should of done it to start with. All that went away. I think the f150 was just way to light to handle that much weight both in payload and in pulling. It says it wil tow 9600 but I think that is way overstated.
Goingfor9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 04:37 PM   #8
ajk170

Thanks guys- reading all of this really helps ease the nerves and helps to validate what I already thought as well as enlighten me on things I never considered.

Tirnanah- thanks for the thoughts on the Super Springs- I just put mine on this eve since I already ordered them before I posted. I figure since I have them, might as well use them. I reckon I'll have to replace my tires so I'll look into the ones mentioned by y'll. I also realized that I should level the front since this is my daily driver but I assume under load the rig will level out.

Goingfor9- I see the 250 in my future since this trailer will outlast this truck.

Thanks for the help on this- I'll have the trailer out this weekend so I'm going to look for a scale house and see what the loaded weight looks like
Old 04-12-2015, 03:51 PM   #9
ajk170

Well, we pulled the trigger and traded the 150 for a 2013 F250 lariat diesel w/26.5K miles. It has the FX4 and trailer package on it as well. I already readjusted the BlueOx so were pretty excited to get it out and see how she pulls. Hopefully this pulls like there's nothing back there. Now that I have the extra space in the bed, I built my PVC bike rack to haul the bikes upright.
Old 04-12-2015, 05:51 PM   #10
Goingfor9

Congrats on the truck. I imagine your towing Differance will be completely different
Goingfor9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 02:59 PM   #11
tirnanah

Congrats on the new truck... I know what my next one will be, not so much because of this trailer, but because I know what the wife already has planned for the next one
tirnanah is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bilstiens, blue ox, helper springs, outback 316rl, super springs