Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 03-03-2014, 08:37 AM   #1
Old Bear

Old Bear from Tennessee

It appears that in just a couple of days, my family and I will be proud owners of a 2008 Cougar 278 RKS fifth wheel! I already own a 2005 Ford F-250 crew cab, which came with the controller for electric brakes. The trailer has been immaculately maintained, with only one decal showing age by peeling at the edges. The seller is including his 5th-wheel hitch, a cover, a generator, cords, hoses, pots, pans, pretty much everything they have in it ready to roll.

I am a US Army retiree with 20 years of service, now working full time for the US Army Corps of Engineers. Most trips will include my wife, daughter, son-in-law and two-year old granddaughter. Most likely my daughter will drive the truck while my son-in-law and I ride our motorcycles to wherever we are headed. We used to camp quite a bit with a large tent, have spent a lot of time outdoors in the mountains or on lakes with our boat. We are really, really hoping that we are going to love the world of RV camping, and I'll take all the tidbits of info, tips, and suggestions anyone cares to share!
Old Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 08:54 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Greetings, Old Bear ......
We have the 5th wheel equivalent of your TT - rear kitchen as well. Rear kitchens certainly have their advantages but you also need to be aware of the bouncing around that takes "back there" when on the road. Consequently, dishes are more susceptible to breakage - something we found out early on.
Since then, we've taken a few steps to prevent any more shattered glassware, etc.

Additional cupboard latches have been added, "Scoot-Guard" material lines the cupboard shelves, and we shove a couple of pillows into the cupboards as well - one into the microwave too.

Otherwise, the rear kitchen is a plus for us. Just be aware that this end of the TT takes more of a "beating" and precautions should be taken to help eliminate dishware from being broken.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:01 AM   #3
Kristi

Congrats! We also moved up from tent to tt last year and love it! Hope you guys enjoy!

Sent from my iPad

Kristi & Jeff
2014 Cougar 313 rli
2013 F350 king ranch
2014 passport 2650bh (sold)
2009 GMC 2500HD 6.6L 4X4 (sold)
Kristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:11 AM   #4
Old Bear

Well, done learned my first thing ... "TT" is for those hitch-pulled, and what we are getting is in fact a fifth wheel unit. Actually, I've been pouring over the site ('Search' is such a wonderful thing!) and have made a lot of notes, especially about the plates in the back cabinets. That note is certainly a keeper!
Old 03-03-2014, 10:47 AM   #5
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Bear View Post
Well, done learned my first thing ... "TT" is for those hitch-pulled, and what we are getting is in fact a fifth wheel unit. Actually, I've been pouring over the site ('Search' is such a wonderful thing!) and have made a lot of notes, especially about the plates in the back cabinets. That note is certainly a keeper!
Well then, I guess we have exactly the same 5th wheel. I should have picked up on the fact that it was a 5th wheel when you mentioned about the hitch being included. A little slow this morning ......

We've been really pleased with our Cougar and its layout. The only issue we've had with it since '08 is the front landing jacks. Needed to replace them.

hankaye is another member who also has the identical unit.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:21 AM   #6
Old Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
Well then, I guess we have exactly the same 5th wheel. I should have picked up on the fact that it was a 5th wheel when you mentioned about the hitch being included. A little slow this morning ......

We've been really pleased with our Cougar and its layout. The only issue we've had with it since '08 is the front landing jacks. Needed to replace them.

hankaye is another member who also has the identical unit.
Hmmmmm, looking all over for the "brain-dump" button to suck all that experience out of your head ... not finding it ...

Oh well, guess we'll have to do this the old fashioned way and actually have me ask questions when needed!
Old 03-05-2014, 11:56 AM   #7
Kristi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Bear View Post
Hmmmmm, looking all over for the "brain-dump" button to suck all that experience out of your head ... not finding it ...

Oh well, guess we'll have to do this the old fashioned way and actually have me ask questions when needed!
We all wish we could find that button! We have learned a bunch so far by going back though old threads and reading. The search button has been my best friend.

Kristi & Jeff
2014 Cougar 313 rli
2013 F350 king ranch
2014 passport 2650bh (sold)
2009 GMC 2500HD 6.6L 4X4 (sold)
Kristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 12:57 PM   #8
Dave & SUe

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the 20 you gave our country.Enjoy your working retirement.
Dave & SUe is offline   Reply With Quote