Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-22-2013, 08:44 PM   #1
Chinomax

Manual slide retractment.

I received the hand crank but where and how is it suposed to be cranked in?
No mention on the walk-through. Thanks Chino
Chinomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 09:15 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Chinomax -
If we knew the year, model and type of your Keystone RV, it would make answering your question somewhat easier. Thanks.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:18 PM   #3
Chinomax

Sorry! 2014 Cougar 244RLSWE fifth wheel. Chino
Old 12-24-2013, 08:12 AM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

Not sure about your Cougar as it is newer than ours but here is how our manual slide operation works:

(We have the long-handled crank with a 3/4" nut driver on the end)

1. Access to the slide motor is by means of a small "trap door" located in the black, coroplast underbelly.
2. The location of this "door" is about 2 feet in and about 1 foot ahead of the front, rear passenger side tire. There is a small cutout - about 6 inches square.
3. The door is held in place by plastic ties. Remove the ties, unfold the flap, take a flashlight, have a peek in and the slide motor is in very close proximity to the door.
4. On the motor shaft, there is a 3/4" nut which matches the 3/4" nut driver on the hand crank.
5. The manual states that you should disconnect the wire to the motor before cranking the slide to prevent damage to the motor.

This is the setup for us but yours may be different. You might have a hydraulic system and use a flexible nut driver to work the slide. I was hoping that access to the slide motor would be from the side of the unit - in plain sight and much easier to get to.

Chances are, the slide will fail when it is pouring rain and you have to crawl underneath in the mud to extend or retract it.

Let us know if you find the access to the slide motor. Good luck.
Old 12-24-2013, 03:45 PM   #5
Terry W.

Hey Chino I got 2 hand cranks with my Avalanche. One was for the front landing gear and the second was for the spare tire carrier under the camper. My manual opeation for the slides is a hex drive into the pump next to the hyd reservoir.
2-11 Pound 4 Legged Furry Childern
Pickens, SC
Terry W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 04:05 PM   #6
trucker LOU

crank

Hey Chino,when you locate the manual attach point you may want to add an extention to make it eaiser to reach. I added one on my Springdale at the same time I added spare tire rack. Attach points are on frame under door.---Lou---
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1671.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	4685   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2543.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	4686   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2542.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	4687  
trucker LOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 09:19 PM   #7
Chinomax

Thanks guys! I saw that hole in the belly pan closed with wire-ties and thought that it was odd. Will take a look this week. Would have been nice if the manual or PDI guy explained it. Chino
Old 12-26-2013, 08:43 PM   #8
Festus2
Site Team

Chino
I wouldn't rely too much on the Keystone Owner's Manual for anything specific like the location of the manual slide out mechanism. The manual slide operation varies from model to model - some come with a rigid crank, others with a flexible nut driver. The location of the slide motor is also different - depending upon the model.

The manual is very generic and certainly not model specific. Keystone issues the same manual for all of its models and revises it from time-to-time.

Perhaps the PDI guy who did the walk through with you neglected to mention it because (a) he didn't know himself, (b) he forgot to bring it up, or (c) you forgot to ask.