Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2013, 07:04 PM   #1
overdrive

flat leaf springs

so my 2013 hideout 26bh, the leaf springs are flat I noticed this after seeing that the tire had rubbed through the underside of the trailer. so I started by taking some measurements and then comparing them to one at the dealer.my trailer has 1.5 inches of clearance the one at the dealer ship 4.5 inches. so my question is. is this common and if the dealer doesn't fix the problem how would I fix it, over load springs?

2011 Ford FX4 F350
2004 ford fx4 f150
2013 26bh Keystone Hideout
Air Lift ride hieght airbags
2006 Honda Rubicon
14' Lund 10 hp Mercury
overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:20 PM   #2
theeyres

I had that problem on one side of a former Springdale trailer. I figured I had hit a "tope" (speed bump) in Mexico too hard and flattened the spring. New springs are very cheap--I replaced both sides and didn't have any further problems.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:58 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Ovedrive,

Measuring the distance on an RV at the dealership isn't "apples to apples."

Your RV is loaded with personal items and weighs more than an empty one at the dealership. You may get close, but the measurements won't be the same. If your RV is relatively new, the axles are often warrantied by either Dexter or Alko for a period exceeding the Keystone 1 year. You may be able to get some resolution from the axle manufacturer. If you're older than their warranty, then replacing the springs may be a good option. I would inspect the suspension very carefully before doing anything as there are a number of issues with bent spring hangers, damaged "wet bolts" and worn shackles. Any of these could cause your suspension to ride closer to the frame without even affecting the springs which could be perfectly fine.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:36 PM   #4
overdrive

apples to apples

JRTJH , yes my trailer has some of my gear in it, maybe 200lbs should have a very small affect on the springs, but I have lost 3 inches of clearance. its at the dealer and they agree that there is a problem with the springs and they have done measurements for keystone. so I will wait to see if keystone thinks there is a problem. I may have hit a pothole or maybe a bunch of them, I don't camp in sites that are paved, these springs should have lasted longer than 4 months.

2011 Ford FX4 F350
2004 ford fx4 f150
2006 Honda Rubicon
14' Lund 10 hp Mercury
Old 07-30-2013, 06:21 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Ahhhh You're the lightest "packer" I've heard of. Most people have upwards of 1,000 lbs in their RV. As for the springs, it appears you've found your answers with the dealer, so just post what the outcome if if you wish to share it with the forum..... Asfor "4 wheeling with an RV" we also go to some pretty remote places, but I wouldn't want to hit too many potholes without a good insurance policy..... Good Luck

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:54 PM   #6
overdrive

wrong running gear

so the guys at the dealership have decided that I have the wrong axles and springs on my hideout !!! service tech told me that they are under rated, so the dealer says he has a new set of lipperts coming in from keystone. I really hope this dealer is on the ball as my holidays begin in 4 days and I have reserved campgrounds. trying hard not to freak out on them and keystone.

2011 Ford FX4 F350
2004 ford fx4 f150
2006 Honda Rubicon
14' Lund 10 hp Mercury