Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-19-2013, 08:25 PM   #1
RV 4 Fun

level up system and loud pop sound

Our 2013 Montana with the 6 point level up system makes a loud pop sound with the legs extended. Recently we noticed that the sound multiple times in the morning but by afternoon the popping stopped. We only have noticed this a few times....when it was above 70 degrees. Not sure what it is...or if it is a problem.
Any thoughts or suggestions?
RV 4 Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:32 PM   #2
Ron

to the forum, you can do a forum search on (6 Point Level Up), it had been brought up several times, as for myself, we also had the same issue and posted there.......
01 F350 7.3 PSD Crew Cab DRW 4X4 6 Speed/Chipped

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:13 AM   #3
geo

Ron is correct, this has been discussed several times. However, I don't think a solution, or more correctly this solution, has been posted yet. Admittedly, this does come from another brand RV owners forum, which posted it from the Escapees Forum, so it is third hand information . . .

The following information was posted on the Escapees Forum

Topic: Noisy Lippert Level-up System fix ( marvmarcy -- Today, 09:18 AM) http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?showtopic=105151 ...........................................
Lippert has finally offered a user fix for temperature related popping in their hydraulic four point and six point auto leveling systems used on many fifth wheel trailers. They determined the noise was caused by high stiction (static friction) in the hydraulic cylinders. Changing out a quart of hydraulic fluid for a quart of Torco RFF 15 ( 15 weight racing fork fluid) significantly reduces stiction and thereby greatly reduces the popping and jolting that many RV owners have felt. There is a recommended procedure to follow, and 10 wt fluid may also be used in cooler climates.

Though we do have the Lippert 6 Point Level-Up on our new fifth wheel, we have not had any problems yet (knock on wood!). So I offer this information untested.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:51 PM   #4
RV 4 Fun

Thanks for the links and suggestions. As this has only happened a couple times.....I will watch closely and use the suggested solution if it appears to be regular occurrence.
RV 4 Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:06 AM   #5
tdawg

just got off the phone with Lippert they are in the process of testing a solution for the popping noise. they said to call back in 2 weeks
tdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:45 AM   #6
kazuaki

I wonder if their solution is the RFF15 mentioned above or something else? Our Raptor 381 pops constantly. Just guessing, but probably 50+ times a day.
kazuaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:00 AM   #7
dogger

I will be interested in the fix for this myself. The first time I heard this we were sleeping in and my wife thought the camper was about to drop or something. I figured it may be a temp issue or a seal. With our temps not being so warm as of late, I haven't heard it the past couple weeks. I am curious of the fix and if it is only a matter of some 15wt fork oil, I have lots of that around the house, and possibly some in the trailer.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:35 AM   #8
geo

Talked to a friend (and previous Alpine owner) this past weekend who attended a SuiteOwners International Rally last month in Goshen, IN. He told me a Lippert representative had a presentation and "question and answer" session at the Rally. About half of the presentation attendees gave the Lippert guy some hard questioning about the "pops and shocks" of their Level-Up Systems.

Note: My friend is an Amsoil representative and had been telling people they needed to switch their hydralic oil to Amsoil, with little agreement. Also, when he attended the session, he was wearing his Amsoil shirt.

From his report, the Lippert representative was a little embarrassed, stalled for a few seconds, and finally admitted that the hydralic oil used in the systems was fairly inexpensive . . . and that one fix would be to upgrade to a quality oil (pointing at my friend) such as Amsoil! He got to turn around and grin at all those who were in a little shock!

Perhaps the racing fork hydralic fluid is just an "enricher" for the inexpensive fluid present in the system? But the Lippert guy did fully explain how to change out the hydralic fluid - and that there was a video on changing the fluid available on YouTube.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
Old 07-02-2013, 10:07 AM   #9
kazuaki

Just got back from our first trip after adding the RFF15. We did not notice any popping, and we normally have a lot of it. We were camping on a dirt site. Now back in the concrete side yard, I have noticed some popping again. Not as bad as before, but it is there.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:34 AM   #10
geo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazuaki View Post
Just got back from our first trip after adding the RFF15. We did not notice any popping, and we normally have a lot of it. We were camping on a dirt site. Now back in the concrete side yard, I have noticed some popping again. Not as bad as before, but it is there.
Kazuaki -

For just "a little popping" and a hard (concrete) surface, try this: Go to HD, get the 8' length of treated 2x12 and have it cut in one foot lengths. Place one of these wood squares under each pad. I have been told it works because the wood acts as a temperature insulator from the ground, and someone else said, no, it absorbs vibrations. I don't know which is correct, but it solved my occasional popping.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
Old 07-03-2013, 07:13 AM   #11
kazuaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo View Post
Kazuaki -

For just "a little popping" and a hard (concrete) surface, try this: Go to HD, get the 8' length of treated 2x12 and have it cut in one foot lengths. Place one of these wood squares under each pad. I have been told it works because the wood acts as a temperature insulator from the ground, and someone else said, no, it absorbs vibrations. I don't know which is correct, but it solved my occasional popping.

Ron
Thanks, I'll give that a try.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:57 AM   #12
tdawg

just got a phone call back from lippert yes 15w fork oil is the answer it does not have to be torco.procedure is to retract all slides and jacks then suck out 1qt of fluid. then add 1 half qt of fork fluid and extend jacks and slideouts retract all slides and jacks and add the rest of fluid and cycle all slides and jacks several times. i will be doing this today will see what happens
Old 07-19-2013, 03:44 AM   #13
tdawg

1st night after adding fork oil no popping yet
Old 12-11-2013, 07:50 PM   #14
turbopilot51

Quote:
Talked to a friend (and previous Alpine owner) this past weekend who attended a SuiteOwners International Rally last month in Goshen, IN. He told me a Lippert representative had a presentation and "question and answer" session at the Rally. About half of the presentation attendees gave the Lippert guy some hard questioning about the "pops and shocks" of their Level-Up Systems.

Note: My friend is an Amsoil representative and had been telling people they needed to switch their hydralic oil to Amsoil, with little agreement. Also, when he attended the session, he was wearing his Amsoil shirt.

From his report, the Lippert representative was a little embarrassed, stalled for a few seconds, and finally admitted that the hydralic oil used in the systems was fairly inexpensive . . . and that one fix would be to upgrade to a quality oil (pointing at my friend) such as Amsoil! He got to turn around and grin at all those who were in a little shock!

Perhaps the racing fork hydralic fluid is just an "enricher" for the inexpensive fluid present in the system? But the Lippert guy did fully explain how to change out the hydralic fluid - and that there was a video on changing the fluid available on YouTube.

Ron
What is the replacement oil that Amsoil recommends?
Always looking for more power, the next add-on goodie, the perfect camping spot, spending more time camping with dw.
turbopilot51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 04:32 AM   #15
tdawg

i put the fork oil in per lipperts instructions did not help. i guess next step is to change oil. i would like to know what amsoil to use also
Old 12-12-2013, 06:06 AM   #16
geo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg View Post
i put the fork oil in per lipperts instructions did not help. i guess next step is to change oil. i would like to know what amsoil to use also
I will email Al today and find out.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
Old 12-12-2013, 07:07 AM   #17
tdawg

Smile

Thanks and where can you buy it Amazon?
Old 12-13-2013, 08:16 AM   #18
geo

Amsoil Transmission Fluid

Tdawg & Others -

Here is a quote from Al:

Quote:
You use ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid). I'm an AMSOIL dealer and I buy it direct from AMSOIL at about 25 to 30 percent less then what you pay for it at a retail store. I can set anyone up on an AMSOIL account and they order directly from the company and pay wholesale price and shipping. You can pass my contact information to whoever you are communicating with.
If you would like to contact Al, per his above offer, please PM me for his email address.

I also know that NAPA Auto Parts sells Amsoil, and I am sure other auto parts store would too. I looked but did not see Amsoil on Amazon.

Some additional information concerning the Level-Up and hydralics on a different brand of fifth wheel (Al was a former Alpine owner also):

Quote:
When I went to the Lippert seminar at the rally they said all you needed to do was empty the reservoir and refill it with ATF when all the slides are in and all jacks are up. The remaining fluid in the hoses and jacks is so minute that you really didn't need to be concerned. If you wanted to replace the fluid in hoses and jacks, recycle the slides and jacks a few times replace the fluid in the tank again. Of course they stressed to support the nose with floor jacks or be hooked to the truck.
I also know there is a YouTube video from Lippert showing how to remove and replace the hydralic fluid.

Hope this helps,

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
Old 12-13-2013, 10:11 AM   #19
tdawg

Thanks for the info. I have a few months to look for amsoil not going anywhere soon if i cant find it locally i will use atf.
Old 12-15-2013, 08:34 PM   #20
turbopilot51

Quote:
Tdawg & Others -

Here is a quote from Al:

If you would like to contact Al, per his above offer, please PM me for his email address.

I also know that NAPA Auto Parts sells Amsoil, and I am sure other auto parts store would too. I looked but did not see Amsoil on Amazon.

Some additional information concerning the Level-Up and hydralics on a different brand of fifth wheel (Al was a former Alpine owner also):

I also know there is a YouTube video from Lippert showing how to remove and replace the hydralic fluid.

Hope this helps,

Ron
Which Amsoil ATF fluid does Al recommend?
Always looking for more power, the next add-on goodie, the perfect camping spot, spending more time camping with dw.
turbopilot51 is offline   Reply With Quote