Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-12-2013, 12:32 PM   #1
Andymon

Battery question

I'm pretty sure the two 12v batteries are the originals and that would put them at 5 years old. When we bought the TT, I put them on the charger as they were pretty low. Took both up to a full charge. That was maybe two months ago. We been to the TT twice and only opened the slide and closed it. Today, went out and couldn't get anything to work. Took the batteries home and put them on the charger and the were really low...both of them.

Time for new batteries?

08 Springdale 266RLSS
99 F250 PS 7.3 Diesel
Medford, OR
Andymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 12:58 PM   #2
2011 keystone

The battery in my TT will only hold a charge for about 3 weeks with nothing on inside except the light in the radio,and the co 2 detecter.
New TT 2014 j@%$O 32BHDS
2011 keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:12 PM   #3
Andymon

Do batteries generally have a "life span"? If I took them back to a full charge and then disconnected them when not in use would they still hold a charge? I'm also trhinking of getting a solar charger and hooking that up to them when not in use.

Thanks!

08 Springdale 266RLSS
99 F250 PS 7.3 Diesel
Medford, OR
Old 05-12-2013, 01:18 PM   #4
davidjsimons

Yes, batteries do have a life span. If the batteries are good, and you put a full charge on them and then disconnect, yes they should hold their charge. You can have them checked at most any real auto part store and decide if you need to replace them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
davidjsimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:26 PM   #5
Andymon

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjsimons View Post
Yes, batteries do have a life span. If the batteries are good, and you put a full charge on them and then disconnect, yes they should hold their charge. You can have them checked at most any real auto part store and decide if you need to replace them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Just read this http://www.ehow.com/how_7544470_test...batteries.html

so I think I should get a digital voltmeter. Electrical stuff has always been one of my weak point.

08 Springdale 266RLSS
99 F250 PS 7.3 Diesel
Medford, OR
Old 05-12-2013, 01:27 PM   #6
Festus2
Site Team

Andymon -
If the batteries are 5 years old, they are getting close to the end of their life expectancy. Without knowing much about their history, it is hard to determine if they were properly maintained and kept charged. They may have been left for long periods without being charged or taken care of - not good for a battery.
The original batteries may not have been decent ones to start out with.

If you don't do a lot of dry camping, perhaps you can get by with just one good quality 12v battery which should be kept in a charged condition. If you put a trickle charger or use the converter to keep it charged, don't forget to check the water levels in it on a regular basis.

I would take a hydrometer and check out the SG of each cell and if the results are not satisfactory for all cells, I would start looking for a new pair. If there is an automotive place nearby, you can take it in and have the batteries tested under load.

When running our slides in or out, I always plug the truck (engine running) into our 5th wheel. The slide motor needs a fully-charged battery to work properly and if you ran the slides out and in on your first trip that may have run down your already weak battery even further.
Old 05-12-2013, 01:33 PM   #7
Andymon

Festus2, they are sealed batteries and I'm pretty sure they have sat unused for long periods. When we went out to the storage yard, I plugged the truck to the connector and couldn't get anything to work. It might be the new 7 pin connector as I replace the 5 pin and only one rear blinker would work so maybe the wiring in the trailer connector is not like the one on the truck. Becasue the TT is at a storage yard with rv repair, I might just let them take care of the connector and them buy two new batteries.

08 Springdale 266RLSS
99 F250 PS 7.3 Diesel
Medford, OR
Old 05-12-2013, 01:34 PM   #8
Bugle Boy

Batteries do not like to be sitting idle. I keep my TT plugged in all the time to keep the battery maintained.

http://rollsbatteryne.com/docs/A%20S...%20Battery.pdf
2014 Cougar 31RKS
TV 2012 Ford F250

https://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...ps6b1f8d57.jpg
Bugle Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:22 PM   #9
Andymon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugle Boy View Post
Batteries do not like to be sitting idle. I keep my TT plugged in all the time to keep the battery maintained.

http://rollsbatteryne.com/docs/A%20S...%20Battery.pdf
Our TT is in a storage yard. I think when I get new batteries we will disconnect them. Also am going to get a solar charger.

08 Springdale 266RLSS
99 F250 PS 7.3 Diesel
Medford, OR
Old 05-12-2013, 03:36 PM   #10
DennisT

battery

This won't help if TT is stored where no 110V is available.

While I do not like Chinese products, I am sometimes forced to settle for them. Several years ago I began buying Harbor Freight mini-float chargers. They used to run about $4 on sale; twice that now. I first used one on a motorcycle battery in my Honda generator that does not get used much. These little mini batteries are notorious for short life spans. Being floated, it finally expired 6 years later.

Now I use them on every car I have if they sit for more than 3 weeks. Best thing I've ever done for battery life span.

My TT when plugged into 110V maintains battery charge. So far, so good with that system. In that case, the above units are not necessary. If batteries are removed from a TT, then the little float units will work great on the work bench waiting for next season.

Dennis
DennisT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 03:37 PM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

With the expenses of buying a new truck, wiring the 7 pin and all the other things you've done recently, I'd hold off for right now on the batteries. If, as you say, they are about 5 years old, and they held a charge well enough to operate the slide for a "few times" but were "low/dead" 3 weeks later, that is to be expected. Most batteries in RV's will be depleted in 3 or 4 weeks just from the "parasitic drains" of the TV antenna, radio memory, propane detector, CO monitor and other 12 volt systems that we don't see running when we think our trailer is "turned off"

I'd charge the batteries, take them to an AutoZone or another similar parts store and have them checked. If they are good, I'd think you should get the rest of this year out of them and then consider starting next camping season with new, fresh batteries. I'm certainly not suggesting you "limp by" with bad batteries, but with the expenses of recent weeks, why spend money you may not need to spend right now on batteries that are good, just old????

After all, I'm good, and very VERY OLD, and I'd appreciate another camping season or two if I can make it <wink>

PS: Festus2 and Hankpage, both of you BE NICE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 03:56 PM   #12
Bugle Boy

If you can't maintain the batteries at the storage facility, take them home, keep them on a piece of plywood or a board and get some chargers/tenders to maintain them while not in use. At nearly a hundred bucks a pop it is very costly to let them sit idle.
2014 Cougar 31RKS
TV 2012 Ford F250

https://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...ps6b1f8d57.jpg
Bugle Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:03 PM   #13
Andymon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugle Boy View Post
If you can't maintain the batteries at the storage facility, take them home, keep them on a piece of plywood or a board and get some chargers/tenders to maintain them while not in use. At nearly a hundred bucks a pop it is very costly to let them sit idle.
That's what I'm thinking would be the best thing to do.

Thanks!!

08 Springdale 266RLSS
99 F250 PS 7.3 Diesel
Medford, OR