Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2013, 06:57 AM   #1
twstdpear

Battery Box on a 2013 Cougar Xlite

I have a 2013 Cougar Xlite 28RBS. It's one of the models with the new front cap with a cover that encloses the LP and battery.

I was doing some tinkering/maintenance a couple of weeks back, and decided to check on the battery. After pulling one of the LP bottles off so I could access it, I noted that it wasn't sitting flat (i.e., touching both rails) in the battery "tray". The battery box was sitting in the front rail and the back was leaning against the fiberglass of the front cap such that the battery was suspended a small amount above the rear rail, maybe something like 1/4". It looks like the battery would sit flat if it weren't for the extra girth of the battery box, although it might just be the battery box lid that's the primary culprit. It almost looks like the battery tray rails were welded on a little too far back, but if they were any further forward, it looks like the battery would hit the LP tanks. The battery is a Group 24, with a Group 24 box.

My questions:

1) Is this just my unit, or a common problem?
2) Since the battery is in a covered, semi-protected location, is the battery box even required? Would removing it be an option? I'm just picturing a kicked-up rock puncturing the battery.
3) How about just removing the battery box cover? It seemed like just removing the cover may provide sufficient clearance. That would still protect against the kicked-up rock scenario.
4) Are there other "slim" battery boxes that might work better than the one it came with?
5) Should I even worry about the possibility of it rubbing or cracking the cap in that area?
twstdpear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:28 PM   #2
davidjsimons

I just checked mine. My battery box sets flush, front and rear, with minimal clearance of the battery box top.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
davidjsimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:42 PM   #3
Mikecd

Seems to be a poor design that is still there in 2014

We have a 2013 X-lite TT and do mostly dry camping. I measured the great battery box frame (8 x 22 inch) and assumed it would be perfect for two golf cart batteries. After much searching I bought a very simple polyethylene battery box with a base that should fit just perfectly in the frame. It has straight sides and a simple cover that does not add much to the overall width. WRONG. The box for the golf cart batteries (which are higher than type 24) is too high and hits the front of the trailer so will not sit even close to vertical. The type 24 battery box that the dealer installed just barely fits. I am thinking of trying to cut the larger battery box shorter and trying two type 24 batteries in parallel but they will be a tight fit in the box. We do mostly dry camping so would also appreciate any insight if anyone has found a good solution. I met someone with a 2014 xlite and the battery configuration is exactly the same. All Keystone has to do is move the battery frame forward a couple of inches and it would be perfect.
Mikecd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:31 AM   #4
twstdpear

I never found a solution other than leave it the way it was. That reminds me, I need to go check and make sure it's not rubbing. I have a month before my factory warranty expires and it would be good to get that scheduled.

The proper fix would probably be to cut off the rails and move them forward an inch to get the stock Group 24 battery to fit properly.
twstdpear is offline   Reply With Quote