Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2013, 05:15 PM   #41
Jim Dow

Honda SuperQuiet Generator

By all means go with the Honda 3000 generator SuperQuiet. It can be paired with a second Honda 3000 generator if you want more power. These are not too heavy that you can't work with them; and they are not too large.

Although they are 30 amp generators, they supply plenty of power for your camper. They are the quietest generators around.
Jim Dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:43 PM   #42
TandE

I have a champion genny that I bought used for $100 and is 7 years old. Don't know how many hours are on it but the thing is still kicking strong. This last trip when we were staying the night at rest stops we used it to run the a/c.

While it is a louder than a Honda it wasn't bad at all and we could barely here it running inside. It doesn't run full speed all the time only under a load. Running for 8-10 hours straight a night the most fuel I used was 2.4 gallons. The temps outside were high 80's to low 90's so it got a workout to get the trailer cooled down.

I'd say that is decent fuel economy while I haven't used a Honda or the likes to see the difference. But for night stays in restops it's perfect. The dry camping we do go to the genny will only be ran before quiet hours maybe a little in the day to recharge the batteries and make coffee. Since the parks are usually quiet and shaded the trailer doesn't get as warm and the windows open cools it down enough.

One of these days I might spring for a quieter one but for what I mentioned we use it for it does the job.

Couldn't be happier.
TandE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:28 AM   #43
Jim Dow

Honda SuperQuiet Generator (3000i)

I use a Honda SuperQuiet 3000i generator. Two of these units can be coupled together using a special kit - for more power. These units are indeed super quiet. Also, they are not too heavy.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:50 AM   #44
woster

I highly recommend the Powerhouse 3100 Generator. It is very quiet on eco mode, starts 1st try and best of all has a remote start/stop that works from 100 feet. Almost 1/2 the price of the Honda 3000.

Check it out.

Oh, also the Powerhouse 3100 will run our 15K Btuh AC, blow dryer and curling iron without overloading.
Quality of life is 10% what happens to you.....90% how you react
woster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:25 AM   #45
bucketman

Has anyone looked at the Generac LP3250. It runs on LP and supposedly only 73db.
So Wisconsin
bucketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:47 AM   #46
TandE

The only thing that concerns me about that one is the weight. 137lb. Is a lot to store when need be and that is probably without the propane and tank. Mine weighs approximately 97lbs or so without fuel and it gets heavy lifting it in and out of the truck.

I did find a company though that sells conversion kits to run a lot of generators off of propane and even a rv kit that can run off the low pressure port for the outside grill. It was approximately 160 dollars for it and im thinking of doing that to mine.
TandE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:37 PM   #47
pjhansman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketman View Post
Has anyone looked at the Generac LP3250. It runs on LP and supposedly only 73db.
"ONLY" 73db??

Making it more than 10 times louder than my Yamaha.
MOR/ryde Wet Bolt Kit, TST 507 TPMS, 1000w PSW Inverter, JT's Strongarm Stabilizers, and the list goes on....
Yamaha EF3000iSE/B Inverter Generator
pjhansman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 04:50 PM   #48
labs4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjhansman View Post
"ONLY" 73db??

Making it more than 10 times louder than my Yamaha.
So how many DB is the Yamaha??? 10 times sure is a lot!!!! The Hondas are a whopping 63 DB and that is not 10 times less. S tell us why we should buy a Yamaha!
labs4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:23 PM   #49
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by labs4life View Post
So how many DB is the Yamaha??? 10 times sure is a lot!!!! The Hondas are a whopping 63 DB and that is not 10 times less. S tell us why we should buy a Yamaha!
The decibel is a really confusing term which can easily be misunderstood. It is based on the power/factor of 10 and is quite complicated. You would have to, for example, have 10x the intensity to sound twice as loud.

If generator X is 55dB and generator y is 65dB, you can safely say that one is noisier or quieter than the other. No need to make it more complicated than it is.
Old 08-04-2013, 03:30 AM   #50
pjhansman

Quote:
Originally Posted by labs4life View Post
Matters not to me what you buy unless you're parked beside me

In practical terms, at full demand you can stand beside my Yamaha (or the equivalent Honda) and easily carry on a conversation. When you get over 70db that is not possible.

In addition to being quiet, it's PSW power, gets great gas mileage, has wireless electric start, and is very reliable.

I will admit that it's heavy, but I've got a small jib crane that I use to lift it in/out of the truck box.

Phil
MOR/ryde Wet Bolt Kit, TST 507 TPMS, 1000w PSW Inverter, JT's Strongarm Stabilizers, and the list goes on....
Yamaha EF3000iSE/B Inverter Generator
pjhansman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 06:43 AM   #51
Jim Dow

Honda SuperQuiet Generator (3000is)

I went with the Honda 3000is. Yes, it cost a lot more, but it is the quietest generator I have ever owned. Also, it has electric start; and it can be paired with another similar unit for double the power.

I only intend to buy one (or one set of two) generators; and so far, I made the right choice. All my facilities/utilities run - even continuously together.

And, everyone is happy with the lack of noise.