Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2013, 03:40 PM   #1
marter

Battery Dead

We just bought a 2013 Montana with a battery cut off switch or in this case a plastic key that you turn to off when you don't want the battery to get a draw. My question is should this also disable the landing gear and stabilizers? My battery keeps drawing down even with the switch turned to off. Nothing inside the camper works even the LP gas detector is off so I am making an guess that the control box is still powering up to get power to jack system. It is quite a draw as when I connect the battery I get a pretty good spark. anyone have any ideas?
marter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 05:25 PM   #2
gepaine

If the battery disconnect is doing what it is supposed to do (interrupt the circuit from the negative terminal or to the positive terminal depending where the disconnect switch is installed), then nothing in your TT will be drawing current. Unless, of course, some item such as your stabilizers is wired around (bypasses) the disconnect switch. This should be easy to determine by examining how many wires are actually connected directly to the battery. For the disconnect switch to disconnect everything, there should be only one wire at the negative and positive battery posts.

To test the switch, disconnect both wires at the switch, put the switch in the OFF position, and verify with a meter that there is infinite resistance between the two posts on the switch.

2011 Keystone Cougar 24RKS
2007 Cadillac Escalade
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller
Past Trailer:
Forest River R-POD RP-175
Past Tow Vehicle:
2008 Toyota Sienna
gepaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:47 AM   #3
marter

Well found problem. The emergency brake controller at hitch I would disconnect there when unhooking trailer and leave out. What that does is put constant 12 volts to brakes even with battery switch off. Well live and learn.
marter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:01 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by marter View Post
Well found problem. The emergency brake controller at hitch I would disconnect there when unhooking trailer and leave out. What that does is put constant 12 volts to brakes even with battery switch off. Well live and learn.
You may find over time, that if you activate the magnets in the brake system by pulling the "breakaway pin" and leaving it out, that you will burn up your magnets. They are not designed to be used as a "parking brake" and will eventually fail if you continue to activate them during parking.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:35 AM   #5
Drew Waller

Dead batteries

Check for all your battery drains! Smoke detector, Carbon monoxide, and now LP gas detectors. I did that, then I think I found it! I have a Zony Music system. Up high behind a door is a speaker amplifier, that doesn't go off when you flip the Battery off switch or turn the system off. I'm still looking for other things. I'm not sure I've found every thing yet! My old Raptor when you flipped the battery switch everything was turned off. I tried flipping the main breaker the other day and that got the amplifier off.

2015 Chevy Crew Cab 3500
Duramax/Allison Tran.
2013 Raptor 332 Toy Hauler
TrailAir Tri-Glide
2 Honda ATV's for climbing
mountains & getting muddy.
Traveling Partners: Dozer & Zeus
Drew Waller is offline   Reply With Quote