Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2013, 04:35 AM   #1
therink

Propane leak?

I have a brand new fiver (see sig). Within the first two weeks of ownership and maybe three nights of running the furnace, I ran out of propane (2-30 lb bottles). I wrote this off as selling dealer short filling the bottles to save a few bucks. I refilled the bottles and have camped 5 nights where I used the furnace but not very cold out. I also have electric Fireplace which I keep cranked to minimize propane use. I woke up thus morning to no heat and 1 empty bottle. On my last fiver two bottles would last almost entire summer. I think I have a small leak somewhere but don't smell propane anywhere. Thinking of spraying every fitting with soapy water to check for leaks. Any ideas?
Please don't flame me for not using search function. I have limited cell coverage and in lucky if I can send this post.
Thanks, Steve

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 05:02 AM   #2
jsmith948

Steve,
Need some more info:
How much propane did it take to refill the bottles? Were they both completely empty?
The second time you had one empty bottle. Sounds like your automatic regulator did not switch over. Did you still have a full bottle on the secondary side?
When the furnace quit the second time, did the stove work?
We found that we had a bad (defective) propane 'pig-tail'. As you probably know, the pig-tails have a safety valve that will close if there is a sudden, large flow of gas.
You have to start with two bottles that you KNOW are full. Then use the proper sequence of opening the propane valves. If you open the valves too fast, the safety valve will restrict the flow of gas.
I believe there is a sticky on this.
I would certainly test for leaks as well

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 05:13 AM   #3
Bugle Boy

I agree definitely check for leaks. Make sure the valves on the bottles are backseated (fully open).
2014 Cougar 31RKS
TV 2012 Ford F250

https://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...ps6b1f8d57.jpg
Bugle Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 05:21 AM   #4
therink

First time both bottles were empty. Took 6.5 or so gallons to fill each. This morning one bottle completely empty. I don't use the auto changeover setting / feature. I like to know when first bottle is empty so I know when it needs refilling as I always like to ensure I have at least one full bottle. I have never consumed this much propane on similar size rig. I need advice on best way to check for small leak.
Thanks

Old 05-25-2013, 05:38 AM   #5
jsmith948

Steve,
I have always relied on dish soap & water in a spray bottle. Sometimes it's difficult to get to some of the fittings. I've never used one, but, there is also a 'sniffer' type detector. No idea what they cost. I would spray soapy water on every fitting and connection I could find. Also agree with the previous suggestion about back seating the valves. Good luck and be very careful!

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:46 AM   #6
Bob Landry

You don't have a small leak, you have a bad regulator, I lost a whole bottle of propane through a bad auto-changeover regulator because I didn't tun the valve off in storage. Marshall replaced it free of charge and I haven't had any more propane issues..

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 10:22 AM   #7
therink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
You don't have a small leak, you have a bad regulator, I lost a whole bottle of propane through a bad auto-changeover regulator because I didn't tun the valve off in storage. Marshall replaced it free of charge and I haven't had any more propane issues..
Bob
That makes sense. My regulator is a new style, different than on my 2010 Sydney. New one is a Fairview brand. I checked all fittings with soapy water and no visible leaks, no odors any where. What caused your regulator to go bad? Was it leaking? I don't smell any propane in propane bottleccompartment.
Steve

Old 05-25-2013, 01:03 PM   #8
Bob Landry

Regulators actually have a vent on them. They fail internally and leak through that vent. Propane being heavier than air, it would not be unusual to be able to walk around the trailer and smell it if it wasn't a windy day. There are no repairable components inside one. If you have soaped all of your connections, I would just replace it and see if that takes care of the problem. If it doesn't then you have a spare, which you should have anyway, right?

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote