Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-16-2013, 06:25 PM   #1
BobnLee

cupboard door above tv on cougar 26 sab

Not really having a great day today. Spent the night in Lexington Ky with freezing rain overnight. Trailer was nice and warm though. When we hit the KOA in Forsyth Georgia the living room slide caught the door which must have been open and not only tore it off but broke it in half. Is this an item that I can readily get when I hit Florida or is it something I will have to order through Keystone. One other puzzling thing. When we opened the trailer, everything was damp. The table was wet the sink and condensation everywhere. Is this normal when going from different climate changes? Or is there something else going on. My laptop which was in its bag and closed up even had condensation on it. Oh ya it rained all the way here and its still raining...
BobnLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:32 AM   #2
CUFFS054

B&L,
My Springdale will generate alot humidity when it goes from cold to hot quickly. The fact that that is happening every other day here in GA is beginning to be a PIA
CUFFS054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:24 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

It's sort of like when you turn on the defrosters in a car when it's near the dew point, the windshield quickly is covered with fog. When it's raining, the air inside the trailer gets super saturated with moisture. If the walls and windows are near the dewpoint, they will collect the moisture and form droplets that can really get things wet. It seems like every flat surface starts to collect moisture.

One way to combat that is to keep the furnace on about 60F or so. That will help dry the air during travel and help keep the walls and windows above the dewpoint. Once the RV is wet, it seems that it takes forever to dry again. If it was wet enough to even get to your computer, you might want to move cushions away from the walls and make sure the spots that don't normally get heat are dry. Behind and under cushions, under the mattress are excellent places to grow mold in an RV. Keeping those places dry is a lot easier than cleaning the mold

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:30 AM   #4
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnLee View Post
When we hit the KOA in Forsyth Georgia the living room slide caught the door which must have been open and not only tore it off but broke it in half. Is this an item that I can readily get when I hit Florida or is it something I will have to order through Keystone.
It's highly doubtful that any Keystone dealer would have inventory on replacement cabinetry doors. There are too many different materials, styles, and colors. So a replacement door would be a special order item from any Keystone dealer.

Depending on the damage, it may be possible to repair the cabinet door. I broke one under very similar circumstances and it was in several pieces when I found it. I used Gorilla Glue to reassemble it followed by some finish touch up with a MinWax Blend-Fil Pencil. If I don't show you which door was repaired, you'll never find it.

Speaking of the Min-Wax Blend-Fil Pencil, it's one of those items that I highly recommend each RV owner have on hand. They're readily available at home improvement stores everywhere, and come in a wide variety of colors.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:04 PM   #5
BobnLee

thanks guys for your help I thinks I will put the door back together with the glue I am going to the Tampa RV show this weekend and will see what there is for me. Thats why I love this site Beat the snow from Knoxville and Atlanta by one day I guess a door and trim along with some condensation isnt so bad. Thanks for the advise pulling cushions and turning them over. keeping the laptop in the truck
Old 01-19-2013, 05:38 PM   #6
BobnLee

Jenson AWM970 no power

Well guys here we go again. Gluing the door worked I would not have believed it but you really have to get up close and personal to see where it was glued back together. I am not really inept but I am starting to have second thoughts. Last fall I installed a second battery with a switch it works great but when I hooked up the second battery I (for some stupid reason) I reversed the wires. I thought I got away with it until tonight when the DW turned (or tried) to turn on the stereo. No power... nothing. 15 amp fuse in the panel is good. Is there an inline fuse in these behind the cabinet or is she fried.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:57 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

In the converter, between the 120VAC circuit breakers and the 12 VDC fuses tucked away where you can barely see them are two 30 amp maxi fuses. Their in the circuit to protect the converter from being damaged if the batteries are hooked up backwards. You will probably find that one or both of these fuses is blown. If not, there may be an inline fuse behind the stereo. Pry the molding away from the stereo face and you'll find 4 screws to remove the stereo from the cabinet. You may find an inline fuse holder on the power input line.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote