Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-16-2012, 07:47 PM   #1
jj67133

Botanical furniture fabric

Has anyone had any problems with the fabric on the sofa with the "Botanical" pattern/color in an Alpine? Ours is a 3500RE and the fabric has a lot of loose threads that stick out and the seams around the edge of the cushions are pulling apart.
jj67133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 07:34 AM   #2
gbsb

We have a Fuzion toyhauler and the cusions are doing the same thing, coming apart. Our dealer contacted Keystone with pics and a discription and Keystone said they would waranty them. May take several months but at least they are going to do it. George
gbsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 07:37 AM   #3
geo

Flair Industries Furniture

Oh, can I answer this one! In short - Yes, we have had problems with the "Botanical" patterned couch in the Alpine. (Ours being a 3640RL.) We noticed it this summer - there on the right-hand side of the couch seat cushion along the seam next to the arm. The seam had pulled away from the piping along some 8 inches exposing the hard foam of the seat cushion and lots of frayed material. I removed the seat cushion (see below) and took it to an upholstery shop to be fixed. This particular upholstery shop does do work on boats, RVs, etc., besides "home furniture". After a week in the shop, Jay called me to come in and "be prepared for the news". Well, the good news was that Jay only charged me $50 to fix what was pulled and to attempt to reinforce all the other seams of the seat cushion. The bad news that Jay had to share was all of his work would probably be destroyed if anything heavier than a Chihuahua sat on it.

Keystone primarily purchases furniture from Flair Industries, Inc. In fact, most RV manufacturers utilize Flair furniture in their RVs. It is the low-end RV furniture manufacturer up there in northern Indiana.

Next time you go to an RV Show, sit on all the couches, etc. and reach down in the folds to find the "Do Not Remove Under Penalty" tag . . . you will find mostly Flair. We did exactly that (only got caught by a salesman once! ) and found we liked the FlexSteel sleeper sofa. Though it is a fairly new fiver, we plan to spend a lot of time over the next few years in it. I found "Bradd and Hall" on the Internet, ordered some fabric swatches, and soon we had a new 80" FlexSteel Sleeper Sofa in rich light brown fabric ordered and on the way.

We "love" our new FlexSteel and feel it was a GREAT decision to replace a relatively new Flair Industries sofa. That Flair sofa is now sitting disassembled in the garage and hopefully this next week will get reassembled in the back of the truck and taken to a local Habitat For Humanity resale shop. Trust me, no one on the Forum wants this!

Ron

+++++++++++++++

RV furniture is a "different breed". It is constructed to assemble/disassemble to get it in and out the narrow door. For the Flair sofa, there are two sheet metal screws in the back that hold the seat cushion. Removed those screws and the seat cushion and frame slide back and out. The rotating back and air mattress are held on by two shank screws on the sides. The drawer just slides out and away. Once those items are done, the arms and connecting rods are easy enough for one person to pick up and carry out the door! The FlexSteel sofa comes mounted on a long pallet encased in thick cardboard. The back is held on by four bolts. The arms are held in place (on the folding bed and seat cushion frame) by three screws and two bolts each side. The kick panel is held on by four screws. The hardest part is standing the bed frame and seat cushion on end to get into the Alpine door, but if my DW and I can do it, you can probably too! Once inside and reassembled, it is beautiful. I did find that I needed to use two short 3/8" lag screws to attach the FlexSteel sleeper sofa to the slide floor. When we attempted to fold out the 72"x80"x10.5" spring based queen air mattress, the sofa rotated forward. Now securely attached, it is no problem!

Again, we are extremely pleased with our new FlexSteel sleeper sofa and so happy we got the Flair Industries "thing" out! It was definitely worth the investment! And dealing with Bradd and Hall was also a pleasure! Nothing but good words for those folk! And I saved the cardboard packing sides to use to crawl under the fiver to mount the tank heaters! Hey, recycling at its best!
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:42 PM   #4
jj67133

Keystone replaced the seat portion about 2 months after I purchased the 5th wheel for this problem. The back portion started doing the same thing and I had it at the Keystone factory in Goshen for some other problems last September for the month. They had their supplier look at it and was told the loose threads were normal. Now the seams and cording have seperated and you can see the foam cushions through the gaps on both the back and seat. I talked to a Keystone Rep at an RV show in Tampa a few weeks ago. He was going to have someone from Cust Relations call me but I haven't heard anything yet. We have coverd the sofa with a bedspread for now. Sounds like I need to check out FlexSteel.
jj67133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:25 AM   #5
geo

If my feeble mind can remember, I will take a picture of the FlexSteel sleeper sofa tonight and append it to my earlier post.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
Old 02-01-2012, 06:58 PM   #6
geo

FlexSteel Sleeper Sofa

Here is a picture of our FlexSteel Sleeper Sofa that we purchased from Bradd and Hall. The color is "Tumbleweed". It is the large sofa with 6" wide arms. The foldout bed mattress is an air mattress with concealed springs in the lower portion. It is a very comfortable sofa and the mattress is like sleeping on a cloud. And best of all, the seams are all tight and don't pull!

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FlexSteel_Sofa.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	951  
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
Old 07-11-2012, 07:43 PM   #7
Westie0506

Sofa shredding

So even though several people have had their sofa self destruct, the answer is to
BUY a sofa and replace it. Ours is under warranty and cushions replaced and within a few weeks was doing the same thing again. Keystone should find us a sofa that does not self destruct in my opinion. Will work with the local rv dealer next week to hopefully get some resolution and keep you posted.
Westie0506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:31 AM   #8
Westie0506

Botantical fabric Alpine 3500

Our cushions were repaced (3rd time) with the solid fabric of the chair this last time. However Flair refused to replace the back cushions that the piping is showing and you can put your hand into holes along the back. There should have been a recall on this sofa because of the fabric....Flair screwed up choosing it and Alpine's reputation continues to suffer because of it. IMOP Keystone should have forced them to stand behind the product and not have the owners fight for whats right. We could write a book about it.
Westie0506 is offline   Reply With Quote