Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2012, 11:43 AM   #1
Quiroule

Thumbs down Propane tanks will not transfer.

I have a split-bottle system and the transfer from the main to the secondary bottle does not work. As a mater a fact, I cannot get the stove to work on the secondary with the transfer switch in any position. Both tanks are full and I have tried without success the method describes below which I pick up from Jim W on another thread.

At the secondary tank, there is a small red regulator installed on the steel pipe. If I disconnect the pig tail going to the transfer switch at the other end of the steel pipe, should-I get propane there?

Thanks

Split-Bottle Systems – (Primarily on Fifth-Wheels)
Some Keystone fifth wheels use a split-bottle system where there is one propane bottle located on each side of the unit. There are some instances where this system may inadvertently activate the “excess flow device” located in the propane pigtail.
The “excess flow device” is a safety feature that is designed to detect a large leak in the propane system such as a broken gas line and reduce the flow of propane from the bottle. It also activates when the propane bottle service valve is turned on and the propane system is not completely closed such as when the range burner is left on. The device is not designed to completely stop the flow of propane, but to reduce it to approximately 20,000 BTUs/hr.
When activated, one appliance at a time may operate normally; however, when a large demand is placed on the system such as turning on several appliances or the furnace, they will not receive sufficient propane pressure to operate properly. Follow the procedure below to avoid inadvertently activating the “excess flow device” and to operate the split bottle propane system.
Follow this procedure for the following conditions: After refilling either or both bottles; After any part of the propane system has been disconnected; Appliance burners are not operating correctly; Low operating pressure exists downstream from the regulator when operating heavy demand appliances such as the furnace.
1. Verify both propane bottles contain sufficient propane. Refill if necessary.
2. Close both propane bottle service valves.
3.Attach the propane pigtails to the service valve.
4. Close manually operated gas valves on the range or water heater.
5. Turn the indicator on the regulator to the bottle closest to it.
6. Slowly open the service valve on the bottle closest to the regulator. This is typically the bottle on the entry door side. Open the valve all the way.
7. Slowly open the service valve on the bottle that is furthest from the regulator until you can hear gas start to flow through. Do not open the valve all the way. Wait 1 minute.
8. Re-close the service valve and then slowly re-open it all the way. The system is now ready to operate.
This happen to me earlier this year and I followed these instructions and have had no issues since.
Jim W.

2018 Ford F150 XLT

Your children and grand-children will not remember what you did for them, they will remember what you did WITH THEM.
Quiroule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:06 PM   #2
geo

Quiroule -

I have had problems with the pigtails. The valve inside the connector will freeze in the shut position. Trade the tanks just to convince yourself that you don't have a tank problem. The Mr. Heater pigtails from CW are worthless. I finally purchased two pigtails from a marine store - twice the price of the Mr. Heaters but I haven't had to replace them! I got them through Amazon, but you might check with a local marine store. I just wouldn't recommend the Mr. Heater anything!

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:16 PM   #3
Quiroule

Tanks Geo,

I forgot to mention that the first thing I did was to switch tanks.

2018 Ford F150 XLT

Your children and grand-children will not remember what you did for them, they will remember what you did WITH THEM.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:31 PM   #4
hankaye

Quiroule, Howdy;

Had the same problem myself...
Please read the following ... I haven't had a problem since
(fingers crossed )
Page 2 post #14;

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=6671

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:37 PM   #5
Johnnyfry

Propane valves

I agree with Jim W's method. If it does not work the first time, close valves, remove and replace the hoses and try again opening the valves VERY slowly.

John
Johnnyfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:55 AM   #6
grtoutdoors

We had a very similar issue. We ran out of propane and went to use the second bottle - but nothing would come out the second bottle. We tried all sorts of things with the transfer swtich etc. etc. We actually thought the second bottle was empty and we made a newbie mistake.

What we learned from the manager of the campground - when we found out the second bottle was full ... was that the newer propane bottles are SUPER senstive to how fast you release the gas initially and they will actually "lock up" if they feel the gas is released to fast. He actually said to "unlock" them is quite challenging. He actually had a small 'gizmo' that he used to release the pressure lock.

So the lesson we learned ... initially open the valve VERY SLOWLY until the gas starts to flow ... then you can open it wide open. Otherwise, you get a 'pressure lock'.

C
grtoutdoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:41 AM   #7
Quiroule

Problem solved, I changed the pigtail and it works fine now.

Thank-you for your good info.

2018 Ford F150 XLT