Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 08-15-2021, 02:57 AM   #1
RickV

Delamination?

I noticed this about a month ago but wasn't able to get a picture that showed it good until yesterday. When it is hot out it is more obvious, if I press it it flexes. It looks like my 5er will spend some time at the dealer when I get home in November. I imagine they'll have to order and replace the whole rear panel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210814_38563.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	35272   Click image for larger version

Name:	_IMG_20210814_38713_.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	35273  

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 06:15 AM   #2
ChuckS

Yup that’s a void and the only way to fix it right is remove entire rear wall and replace… the new Alpine build quality lately is less than stellar

Sorry to see you having this issue

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 03:03 PM   #3
Fishsizzle

I’m little late. Not necessarily a replace. Maybe cheapest way out, but I was amazed at what can be done. Will be helping my bud with his Cooper Canyon rear wall maybe in FEB

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...mczy9ltYzlm2cJ
2020 F350 Crew DRW 6.7, 4x4, 10 sod auto, 4:10 gears
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 04:13 PM   #4
RickV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishsizzle View Post
I’m little late. Not necessarily a replace. Maybe cheapest way out, but I was amazed at what can be done. Will be helping my bud with his Cooper Canyon rear wall maybe in FEB

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...mczy9ltYzlm2cJ
As long as it is fixed.😎
Old 04-21-2022, 03:04 AM   #5
RickV

So yesterday I get an email from my service writer that the replacement rear wall was finally approved by Keystone and that it had arrived at the dealership. She asked if I could drop it off on May 11th, problem with that is we are scheduled to leave for 5+ months on May 12th. The last time I had it in for warranty work about 2 months ago I told her we were leaving on the May 12th. She said well if we don't get the wall approved or in by then we can do it when you get back it will still be covered because it was reported while still under warranty. I called and left a voicemail reminding her of our travel plans. I haven't heard back I did reply to her email this am stating the issue. Hopefully since it is a big cash cow for the dealer maybe they'll move us to the front of the line and we can get this done before we leave rather then wait until November.

Me:
Attached Images

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
Old 04-21-2022, 03:20 AM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

Hate to burst your bubble but warranty work is definitely NOT a cash cow for any dealership. Factory sets labor rate and hours, and I can assure you it’s a real battle to “make time”. There is a Keystone dealer in my area that won’t even do warranty work because of the costs vs reimbursement.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 03:47 AM   #7
jasin1

If it were me I’d wait till you get back…send the service dept a email and have them clearly reply back that it will still be covered under warranty when you get back.

They are probably gonna take their time on it and I wouldn’t want them to rush.

The only concern I’d have is how they plan on storing the wall while your gone…hopefully a nice safe spot inside a building where it won’t get damaged during your vacation
Old 04-21-2022, 03:58 AM   #8
RickV

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Hate to burst your bubble but warranty work is definitely NOT a cash cow for any dealership. Factory sets labor rate and hours, and I can assure you it’s a real battle to “make time”. There is a Keystone dealer in my area that won’t even do warranty work because of the costs vs reimbursement.
All I know is the dealer wanted 72 hours to replace it. Seems a little excessive.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
Old 04-21-2022, 03:59 AM   #9
RickV

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
If it were me I’d wait till you get back…send the service dept a email and have them clearly reply back that it will still be covered under warranty when you get back.

They are probably gonna take their time on it and I wouldn’t want them to rush.

The only concern I’d have is how they plan on storing the wall while your gone…hopefully a nice safe spot inside a building where it won’t get damaged during your vacation
Yeah it is not anything that can't wait but I do want it done and done right.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
Old 04-21-2022, 04:01 AM   #10
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV View Post
All I know is the dealer wanted 72 hours to replace it. Seems a little excessive.
I hope they got it. Since it’s not a 1 person job they most likely asked for that amount based on number of techs needed. 4 techs times 18 hrs each equals 72 hrs. For example.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 04-21-2022, 05:23 AM   #11
ChuckS

I am glad my older Alpine has the nice cap on the rear instead of that plain flat wall.. I have seen two other Alpines with the void in the same area and one of the repairs looked great and the other was a botch job and is in the process of being redone for the second time

Old 04-21-2022, 07:28 AM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Yeah it is not anything that can't wait but I do want it done and done right.

Rick there's not a way in this world I would take it in for that kind of repair at this late date since you have to have it by May 12th. I doubt seriously, if you dropped it off in the next 15 minutes, it would be out by May 12. On the other hand, once in and torn down you ain't goin anywhere with the RV and will be "grounded" until they get it done....whenever that might be. There will always be an "unknown" that delays the completion and your plans to be gone 5+ months will have little to no bearing on what happens....except to you.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 10:40 AM   #13
RickV

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Rick there's not a way in this world I would take it in for that kind of repair at this late date since you have to have it by May 12th. I doubt seriously, if you dropped it off in the next 15 minutes, it would be out by May 12. On the other hand, once in and torn down you ain't goin anywhere with the RV and will be "grounded" until they get it done....whenever that might be. There will always be an "unknown" that delays the completion and your plans to be gone 5+ months will have little to no bearing on what happens....except to you.
I was thinking along that line too

I sent this email this AM :
Good Morning,
I saw this this email yesterday and called and left a message. It is great that Keystone finally approved on the rear wall. But I guess you don’t remember that we discussed the fact that we have plans to leave for about five and a half months leaving on May 12th and won’t be home until October 30th .

I got this reply back:OK so I will schedule you for when in October ?

Let's see we are getting back on October 30th.............

I was nice with my reply

We will get home on Sunday October 30th need a few days to unload and unwind so anytime after November 1st will work for us.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
Old 04-21-2022, 10:51 AM   #14
chuckster57
Site Team

I think your better off waiting, your replacement wall is most likely in a crate and they can set it somewhere inside out of the way.

Old 04-21-2022, 10:55 AM   #15
RickV

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
I think your better off waiting, your replacement wall is most likely in a crate and they can set it somewhere inside out of the way.
Yeah I agree it isn't really hurting anything (atleast at the moment). I've waited since we got back the end of last October what's another 5 months as long as it is still warrantied.

There is also this little crack at the Kitchen slide out that they were waiting for approval to fix.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220421_38614.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	39370  

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
Old 04-21-2022, 11:26 AM   #16
sourdough
Site Team

Rick make sure you have everything wrong documented with your dealer and Keystone prior to the expiration of your warranty. They will fix it when you return, even if after the expiration date of your warranty, if it is documented, filed and accepted as a warranty item. If not, anything they've not seen prior to the expiration will be denied.

I would also speak with the service manager. Your return time is far enough out that you should set the date for bringing it in and ask him to MAKE SURE he has a bay to put it in as soon as you get there so they can begin work. You would have to follow up a few times to assure him you haven't forgotten and he's not going to be holding an open bay for a no show....if he'll do that. My dealer has done it for me and it sure beats bringing it in 6 months from now and being at the back of the line that exists on that day.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 12:29 PM   #17
RickV

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Rick make sure you have everything wrong documented with your dealer and Keystone prior to the expiration of your warranty. They will fix it when you return, even if after the expiration date of your warranty, if it is documented, filed and accepted as a warranty item. If not, anything they've not seen prior to the expiration will be denied.

I would also speak with the service manager. Your return time is far enough out that you should set the date for bringing it in and ask him to MAKE SURE he has a bay to put it in as soon as you get there so they can begin work. You would have to follow up a few times to assure him you haven't forgotten and he's not going to be holding an open bay for a no show....if he'll do that. My dealer has done it for me and it sure beats bringing it in 6 months from now and being at the back of the line that exists on that day.
The first time we took it in in late November there was about 10 pages of warranty issues printed out (that we have) that described everything and estimated Hours to repair. I am waiting for the service writer to get back to me with a date and then I will request everything be documented.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
Old 04-22-2022, 04:25 AM   #18
ChuckS

Quote:
Yeah I agree it isn't really hurting anything (atleast at the moment). I've waited since we got back the end of last October what's another 5 months as long as it is still warrantied.

There is also this little crack at the Kitchen slide out that they were waiting for approval to fix.

That is "No little crack" and will require the filon to be removed and some repair work to be done on the aluminum wall studs.. front cap is gonna have to be removed as well if this is a front slide out.. If this slide out isnt in the front then the repair work will be even more intense
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Keystone KSB -180328 V2 Sidewall Crack Repair.pdf (903.6 KB, 310 views)

Old 04-22-2022, 04:52 AM   #19
jasin1

Wonder if these cracks develop because of over extending slide mechanisms? It seems like when the slide extends all the way out and it’s not adjusted properly or you hold the extend button too long it could put undo stress on the wall. Still a problem with factory install but I was wondering if it’s frame flex or outward pressure causing these cracks
Old 04-22-2022, 05:28 AM   #20
ChuckS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
Wonder if these cracks develop because of over extending slide mechanisms? It seems like when the slide extends all the way out and it’s not adjusted properly or you hold the extend button too long it could put undo stress on the wall. Still a problem with factory install but I was wondering if it’s frame flex or outward pressure causing these cracks
The cracks occur because the RV builders have YET, after over 20 years of cracks occurring in this area taken the time to properly assess the issue.

Some fifth wheels get this crack and some don't. The larger units withi dual front slide outs are more prone .. IMO to cracks in this area at the lower front corner..

This type of crack is occurring on every builder out there.. Grand Design, Forest River, Keystone, Jayco.... and on and on...

The operation of the slide out has nothing to do with the issue.. its the lousy welds and lack of additional gusset support up underneath the pijnbox area that is causing the issue.