Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 07-17-2021, 07:25 PM   #1
Camping family

Slide toppers

Who has installed their slide toppers? Is it an easy install usually do everything on my own can do about anything. So is this a job that the dealer should do or is it a DIY kind of task?
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 07:58 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

I did mine. Honestly, it's an easy to do mod for anyone who is handy with a drill, a drill driver and a tape measure. You'll need a helper to support the other end of the roller tube while you thread the gimp through the awning rail.

After "doing one self taping screw in FILON" I didn't like the "little tent of fiberglass" produced by the screw forcing its way through the fiberglass, so I predrilled starter holes on all the other holes to mount the awning rails to the trailer sidewall... To me, I was concerned with the awning rail sitting flush on the trailer sidewall and "convinced myself" that those little "fiberglass tents" created by the self tapping screws would make a difference... I don't know if they would have or not, but I know with predrilled holes, I don't have to wonder any longer....

Easy mod to do if you know which end of a screwdriver to grab onto......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 05:02 AM   #3
rhagfo

We installed the two slide toppers on our Copper canyon. I actual did the 6' bedroom slide myself, and wife helped with the 13' supper slide.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 05:06 AM   #4
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping family View Post
Who has installed their slide toppers? Is it an easy install usually do everything on my own can do about anything. So is this a job that the dealer should do or is it a DIY kind of task?
I agree with John and Russ about doing it yourself …but I’m a little worried about drilling into my new trailer while it’s still under some kind of warranty.

I was thinking about letting the service dept install mine
Old 07-18-2021, 07:02 AM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
I agree with John and Russ about doing it yourself …but I’m a little worried about drilling into my new trailer while it’s still under some kind of warranty.

I was thinking about letting the service dept install mine
We don’t predrill. Have had one fail and come back because of installation. I can say I prefer the Carefree over the Dometic. Sturdier brackets IMO.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 08:01 AM   #6
jasin1

[QUOTE=chuckster57;459630]We don’t predrill. Have had one fail and come back because of installation. I can say I prefer the Carefree over the Dometic. Sturdier brackets IMO.[/QUOTE

I’m new to the whole rv warranty process and I wasn’t sure if they would make a big deal about any owner installed accessories to the filon. But I guess if it’s done right there would be no issue
Old 07-19-2021, 04:26 AM   #7
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
We don’t predrill. Have had one fail and come back because of installation. I can say I prefer the Carefree over the Dometic. Sturdier brackets IMO.
Interesting, I pre-drilled the screw holes, and got a good tight fit. Even the 13' super slide didn't take that long. Tapped the rail in place and marked with a sharpie, took it down and pre-drilled then put sealant on rail and put back up. put sealant on each screw as I put them in.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 08:33 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Interesting, I pre-drilled the screw holes, and got a good tight fit. Even the 13' super slide didn't take that long. Tapped the rail in place and marked with a sharpie, took it down and pre-drilled then put sealant on rail and put back up. put sealant on each screw as I put them in.
That's the same way I did both of our slide covers. It was easy to do, and so far (7 years) no leaks, no loose rails and no problems with stripped screws.

The other way (not pre-drilling holes) may be just as good, I don't know, but the "little mounds of fiberglass from using self drilling screws" just goes WAY OUT OF ACCEPTANCE for me with a background in repairing airplane sheet metal. YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 10:55 AM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
That's the same way I did both of our slide covers. It was easy to do, and so far (7 years) no leaks, no loose rails and no problems with stripped screws.

The other way (not pre-drilling holes) may be just as good, I don't know, but the "little mounds of fiberglass from using self drilling screws" just goes WAY OUT OF ACCEPTANCE for me with a background in repairing airplane sheet metal. YMMV
The last 1/2 dozen or so Carefree toppers I have installed didn’t have self tappers for the rail. The brackets haven’t been an issue using the supplied self tappers as long as you know to let off the trigger when the get tight.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide