Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-17-2021, 10:13 AM   #1
emartinez

Keystone Hideout 318BR

I am looking into purchasing a 2021 Keystone Hideout 318BR just looking for some input
emartinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 11:21 AM   #2
Texas Steve

Looks like a nice unit, what is your questions? I dont have the model you are looking at, but do have a Hideout. It has been great for us. Very few minor items needing repair which I took care of. That is a pretty big trailer, what are you using for a tow vehicle?
Texas Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 05:18 AM   #3
emartinez

I was just wondering if they are a dependable camper I was originally looking at a Forest River we own a 2012 GMC Sierra with the capability of towing 9500 per the VIN of the truck it had a package added to it
emartinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 06:50 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by emartinez View Post
I was just wondering if they are a dependable camper I was originally looking at a Forest River we own a 2012 GMC Sierra with the capability of towing 9500 per the VIN of the truck it had a package added to it
Welcome to the forum. The truck you have will not be enough for that size trailer. The "towing capacity" of 9,500 lbs. is not really applicable to travel trailers and may or may not be applicable to your truck. There have many, many discussions concerning weights and towing capacities that will keep you busy reading for some time if you want to read it. If you are "certain that it's o.k. because of what the brochures say then you can stop reading here.

Still with me? Good. Here's the issue. Truck "towing capacity" is based on the max number the truck can tow without regard to the trailers tongue weight or wind resistance and effects on handling. That number is determined with a trailer that is flat (low wind resistance or side forces) has a very low tongue weight (weight pushing down on the hitch that induce sway), so if you are towing a flat bed trailer with pipe or bricks o.k. A travel trailer, not o.k.

Payload" This is one of the elephants in the room. Top find out what YOUR truck can carry look at the driver's door jamb for a yellow and white sticker with the tire inflation info and the "maximum weight of all "persons and cargo shall not exceed XXXX lbs." That is YOUR trucks payload capacity. The more optioned out your truck is the lower the payload. Everything you put in the truck comes off that payload number i.e. people, pets, floor mats, bed liner, bed cover. tool box, tools, ice chest, kids toys/bikes ,snacks, etc. Most "1/2 ton" trucks will be anywhere from 1,200 lbs. to 1,800 lbs. Brochures, advertising, etc. will list an "up to" number if "properly equipped". Properly equipped doesn't mean a "tow package". What they are referencing is typically as 2 wheel drive single cab base model with cloth seats and manual everything. As stated above, EVERTHING the factory puts in that truck above that comes off the payload.

Trailer Specs" Keystone's numbers:

Shipping Weight - 7,688 lb. This is the weight from, the factory with no propane, no battery, and NO OPTIONS. Also none of the stuff that you MUST ADD to use it.
Carrying Capacity 2,012 lb. How much weight above that "shipping weight" the trailer can support. Add this to your the shipping weight to get a number closer to what it will become when you tow it. I.E. 9,700 lbs.
Tongue weight - 900 lb. This is a fictional number. Why? because it's based on that fictional "shipping weight". Travel trailers tongue weight is typically between 10-15% of the camper weight. So use 13%, or .13 X 8,700 = 1,131 lbs. Let's call it 1,100 lbs. tongue weight. But wait! There's more! Also to that tongue weight add the weight of a weight distributing hitch. That's another 110 lbs. or more so you'll end up with a Tongue weight of ~1,200 -1,300 lbs. If your truck's payload is on the low end then you are done now.
Length - 35' 11" This where that "towing capacity" comes to bite you. Even if the numbers work that huge sail (36' long by 11.5' high) behind a light truck WILL push the truck around. It WILL be the tail wagging the dog. Look at my signature rig. I started towing this with a Ford F150 King Ranch. I came close to loosing it on a mountain pass and realized the hard way that I needed more truck. A good friend of ours had a similar setup with a Ram 1500 years ago anmd a smaller trailer. She wasn't so lucky as she totaled everything but thankfully they were o.k. I hope you don't make the same mistake that I and many others have made. IMHO a "1/2" ton truck should not be towing a TT over 25' and never tow a fifth wheel.
Stay safe and happy searching.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 08:08 AM   #5
markcee

^^^^ This

Was in the same boat - see my signature. My trailer, loaded up to about 9k had a 1300 lb tongue weight when scaled. Published brochure weight is 810. Quite the handful for my F150 and you have 2 more feet of length to worry about.

One slight math correction to the above, loaded up to GVWR your trailer will come in about 9700 lbs, not 8700.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 09:23 AM   #6
Texas Steve

x2 to Flybouy! ^^^
Texas Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 09:47 AM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcee View Post
^^^^ This

Was in the same boat - see my signature. My trailer, loaded up to about 9k had a 1300 lb tongue weight when scaled. Published brochure weight is 810. Quite the handful for my F150 and you have 2 more feet of length to worry about.

One slight math correction to the above, loaded up to GVWR your trailer will come in about 9700 lbs, not 8700.
Oops, thanks! Corrected. My "numb and dumb" fingers are failing me today.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hideout, keystone