Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-14-2021, 06:36 PM   #1
Robear

Recliners

Hello, I’m looking to replace my very uncomfortable cougar sofa with two swivel rocker recliners. Looking around at camping world and on the internet, I’m reluctant to buy before I can actually sit in the chair and try it out. Any of you have ideas where to look? Would most chairs fit through the door if I can remove the back of the chair?
Also I’m planning on strapping down the chairs for travel, but need ideas for where to hook the straps or bungee cords. Wife and I are retiring next month and going camping for a week. It will be our longest trip so far, then hopefully start taking longer trips after that.
We need comfortable chairs to make this happen! LOL
Robear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 07:23 PM   #2
bobbecky

We had to replace to two really heavy and poorly made recliners that came with our trailer several years ago and just went to a local furniture store. We found the chair we wanted, and ordered two of them with the fabric we wanted. When they came in, the store delivered, removed the two broken down chairs and brought in the new ones. Couldn't have been easier, and ended up with lighter and better made chairs.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 07:26 PM   #3
Robear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
We had to replace to two really heavy and poorly made recliners that came with our trailer several years ago and just went to a local furniture store. We found the chair we wanted, and ordered two of them with the fabric we wanted. When they came in, the store delivered, removed the two broken down chairs and brought in the new ones. Couldn't have been easier, and ended up with lighter and better made chairs.
Did you have to separate the back of the chair from the seat to fit through the door?
Old 03-15-2021, 04:15 PM   #4
bobbecky

The old chairs had backs that came off as well as the new chairs were delivered with the backs off and the delivery crew installed the backs after getting them through the door.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 04:18 PM   #5
Robear

Ok, Thanks!
Old 03-15-2021, 06:18 PM   #6
Laredo Tugger

Robear, Funny you should ask. I spent some time today looking for exactly what you described. My requirements were color. swivel, the ability to open (recline) with a minimum clearance and no separate ottoman. So far the best I found were these with only an 11 inch offset from the wall.

https://www.cymax.com/Bowery-Hill-Fa...-BH-153350.htm

I plan on mounting them to the slide floor possibly using the existing bolts/mount that hold down the existing theater sofa and putting some type of table between them. If not available I will figure something out. That's what we do with these campers, figure stuff out. Always fun!
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 11:38 AM   #7
Robear

That looks like a nice chair! I checked their return policy and it said no returns for furniture though. I’m going to have to find a place to tryout the chair before buying. Lazy boy has a showroom near me, so I’ll check that out first. Also, I have a recliner in my house that I’m going to push through the RV door just to make sure I have enough clearance. Should be fine, but I’ve said that before on other projects and messed up! Lol.
Old 03-16-2021, 01:20 PM   #8
Laredo Tugger

I ordered 2 of these today. They explained that their return policy was, if damaged upon receiving they will replace for free, after 30 days if I do not like them the return shipping is on me. Sounded fair.
I did some measuring today and those chairs will fit onto my living room slide and replace the theater seat sofa that is showing ware on the cushions.
These recliners will fit but I do not think I will mount them permanently to the floor as the clearance needed is variable (depending on recline angle). Instead I am going to put some eye hooks (2) into the exterior wall (to the aluminum studs) as low to the floor as possible and ratchet tie the chairs for travel. This will allow the chairs to be placed wherever needed when used.
The color in the website photos is not correct (according to the sales rep I spoke to) and the fabric/leather is darker than the studio prints they show and much closer to the one photo of the chair inside a home setting. These appear to be very close to the existing couch and theater seat I have now. Another selling point for me.
Oh yeah, sale price plus 10% off and free shipping was a plus as well.
RMc
Old 03-16-2021, 01:30 PM   #9
Laredo Tugger

Robear,
Sorry just read all of your post. That recliner you are going to "push through" the trailer door may be able to be separated where the back cushion meets the base. You might have already known this but it will make that "push" a little easier.
Good luck
RMc
Old 03-16-2021, 01:53 PM   #10
dutchmensport

The choice of chair is yours, but you can go to any furniture store and test out the chair before you purchase. Take lots of measurements and understand if the new chair comes in a box in pieces, or complete. If complete, can it be dismantled in any way to fit through the door. Do your homework before purchasing to make sure it will go through the door. If you do, anything you find will work, it's all dependent upon your personal taste and comfort.

About strapping the chair(s) down? If you go to Wall Mart, any home improvement store, or any home hobby-craft store and go to the picture frame area, you will find catches that attach to the back of picture frames for hanging on the wall. These are small, and VERY strong. A single 1/2 inch wood screw in the floor and can put them anywhere. I have used these in every camper I've ever owned to strap things down.

Here's a photo of the drawer on the couch in my previous camper. In transit, the drawer would come open. It drove me nuts. I put a catch on each end of the couch and then used a simple strap to hold the door shut. It worked fabulous.

Here's a photo of one of them attached to the floor. The carpet fluffed over them so nice, you never knew they were there until you actually looked for them. Very strong and a strap, slightly snugged (not overly tight .. not needed) and nothing moves.

Here's your life saver: Small Command hooks and small picture frame hangers.

Old 03-16-2021, 02:03 PM   #11
Robear

Sounds like a great deal! Send a picture when you get them installed.
Old 03-16-2021, 02:05 PM   #12
Robear

Thanks for the ideas. I’ll have to get some of those hooks or eyelets.
Old 03-16-2021, 06:34 PM   #13
Laredo Tugger

Thanks Dutch,
I was trying to avoid putting holes in the floor that may protrude through the Darco on the slide bottom but those small (short)screws look like they will work.
Thanks
RMc
Old 03-17-2021, 01:24 PM   #14
Cbrez

You are going to have to tie the chairs down very securely. Our Montana came with two swivel rockers and a tie down strap for each. The chairs still beat up the walls, window valances, slide trim and each other. We modified the Keystone setup so the chairs no longer hit anything when we’re going down the road.

We recently ordered two Stressless swivel rockers from a local furniture store. Did not want to order sight unseen over the internet. The chairs are expensive but very high quality and very comfortable.

Steve & Diane
2015 Montana 3402RL
2017 F350 Super Duty Lariat 6.7 Powerstroke, Super Cab, Long Box, 4WD DRW
18K PullRite Super 5th ISR
Cbrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 08:32 PM   #15
Robear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbrez View Post
You are going to have to tie the chairs down very securely. Our Montana came with two swivel rockers and a tie down strap for each. The chairs still beat up the walls, window valances, slide trim and each other. We modified the Keystone setup so the chairs no longer hit anything when we’re going down the road.

We recently ordered two Stressless swivel rockers from a local furniture store. Did not want to order sight unseen over the internet. The chairs are expensive but very high quality and very comfortable.
Cbrez, I can totally see that happening if they’re not strapped down tight. Thanks for the advice!