Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-13-2017, 06:54 AM   #1
GregH.

LED Light replacement

We just sat in our new 24RKPR for the first time last night and we noticed how bright and cold the factory LED lights are. I'm looking to replace them with something that gives off a warmer light. A dimmer would be nice too.

Has anybody done this?

Greg
GregH. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 08:40 AM   #2
Tbos

I replace the incandescent bulbs in mine with LEDs. There are a bunch of different types available on Amazon. You might find something that will work there.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 08:53 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

If you don't like the "color" of the LEDs just do a google search, or a search on this forum, and you'll find lots of alternatives. They come in shades from bluish to yellowish (interior LEDs) and various intensities. If you install a dimmer make sure it is for LEDs.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 08:57 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

If your overhead lights (I'd guess that's the ones you're talking about) are the "newer type" with permanently mounted LED's, you won't be able to replace them with LED's of a different color. In that case, you might consider purchasing surface mount LED fixtures and just swapping them out. I'd suggest LED's in the color range of 2800-3500 K. They are closest to incandescent light bulbs. Color range 3600-5000 is closer to florescent bulbs and anything over about 5500K is usually "too blue" for most people. That is probably what you've currently have installed in your trailer.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 09:35 AM   #5
GregH.

Hi John, yes, it's the overhead lights.

I actually tried to pry off a cover, and it wouldn't budge. I'll have more time tonight to see if I can remove the cover or the entire fixture. If I can get the cover off, then I can see if the bulb can be easily replaced. I noticed they sell replacements on Amazon, so one way or another, they'll get replaced.
GregH. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 09:57 AM   #6
BuxCamper

If an edge of the lens is not seated you can get it off by getting a fingernail on it and pulling. Otherwise you'll need a small screwdriver to pry an edge out.

The LEDs are not bulb replacements. The fixture is built with flat boards of the LEDs and likely custom to that fixture style. Most probably you'll have to replace the fixture.

As the technology has moved on so has the fixtures. Since the LEDs last so long there is no need to make a socket. Besides cutting out a few pennies, manufacturing costs are reduced and a potential point of failure (the socket ) eliminated.

-- Mark

I used a multi-billion dollar government satellite navigation system to look for a rubber chicken in a tree!

2017 Bullet 248RKS towed by a 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 5.3L V8 W/ AFM
BuxCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 03:10 PM   #7
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregH. View Post
Hi John, yes, it's the overhead lights.

I actually tried to pry off a cover, and it wouldn't budge. I'll have more time tonight to see if I can remove the cover or the entire fixture. If I can get the cover off, then I can see if the bulb can be easily replaced. I noticed they sell replacements on Amazon, so one way or another, they'll get replaced.
Here is pictures supplied by "canesfan" in a previous post describing his ceiling led lights , I am not sure if you can replace just the LED portion, may have to buy the complete light. If your cover is as pictured they are tight to get off

ADDED: [http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...0&postcount=38
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 05:17 PM   #8
B-O-B'03

The covers on the LED ceiling lights in my trailer require a little twist to remove them. There are little metal tabs on the fixture that hold the cover on.

Not sure if yours are the same, but I would think prying on them would break something.

-Brian
Old 04-13-2017, 05:30 PM   #9
BuxCamper

The second picture in the thread noted below shows the overhead style lights I have in my 248RKS. This one needed a small screwdriver in between lens and the bezel to start working it out. I also have round lights over the sink/counter and bed with push butten switches that I have not tried to open yet.

http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=28162

I used a multi-billion dollar government satellite navigation system to look for a rubber chicken in a tree!

2017 Bullet 248RKS towed by a 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 5.3L V8 W/ AFM
BuxCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 07:33 PM   #10
Hshorten1

Lens cover

I have the hard wired LED lights. They are way too bright. Instead of replacing them (sounds costly) does anyone know how to order new lens covers that might be a little darker. Or, does anyone know of something that is safe to put inside these lens covers to dim it?
Hshorten1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 08:03 AM   #11
Hike till I drop

Hshorten1 I wonder if you have tried spray painting the inside of a cover with an opaque paint just to dim it a bit? I have considered that or stopping by our local Platt electric parts supplier to pick up a LED dimmer. I would either put it by the control panel and dim all the lights at one time or just mount it in the ceiling next to the light and tap into the wires there. We have rarely used our lights and have instead bought battery powered LED light strings and draped them over the window valances or put them into glass jars on the counters for the evening lights. My wife calls them fairy lights.
Hike till I drop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 10:14 AM   #12
Hshorten1

I have thought about paints but am worried about excessive heat. Without doing nothing, the lights are almost hot to the touch. I like your fairy lights. Think I’ll try that. Thank you very much.
Old 09-28-2020, 07:18 AM   #13
Hshorten1

Thank you very much for the information.
Old 09-28-2020, 07:24 AM   #14
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Roe View Post
I think LED light is also good. It's designed to reduce power load dramatically. But when replacing, should also pay attention to safety because it also has some dangers. Some useful information that I have read:
https://vogeltalksrving.com/how-to-c...lbs/#more-1229
Man, that was a hard read... English as a second language?

I cannot remember the last RV I saw with 120 volt lighting in it.

Converting to LED lighting is pretty straight forward... pick the correct style bulb, make sure it is rated for greater than 12 volts (since the converter will go to 13.8 or higher when charging the batteries) and install in the existing receptacle. Some older LED bulbs were polarity sensitive, so you might have try them in a different position if they do not light up.

-Brian
Old 10-19-2020, 08:28 AM   #15
LV_Tom

I replaced all of my lamps in my 2011 Cougar TT with LED lights from Superbrightleds.com. They have a wide range of LED bulbs of various colors. I used the soft color in general trailer lighting and kept the bright white under the kitchen sink for doing dishes. Every lamp on my trailer has been replaced, including the exterior marker lights and brake lights. Here's a tip when replacing LED lamps in your brake lights it is recommended that you use the color that matches the color of the lens.
LV_Tom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led, light