Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2019, 07:46 AM   #1
docwade87

How bad did I screw up?

Alright, I got excited and didn’t realize all the little details that needed to be taken into consideration when buying my TT. I saw price range, good deal, great unit and the stickers say I should be fine.... After spending a decent amount of time on here researching, I realized I may have bitten off a bit much for my TV?

It’s a 2013 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 5.7L V8 TRD. It has towing package on it with tow/haul feature that changes gear ratio and gives more upfront power etc etc. it does very well pulling the trailer (2017 Cougar 28RLS) on most every roadway. I got nice hitch with 10klb limit sway/weight distribution bars. I took it into some bigger mountains this past weekend on some tight, steep and banked roads and it handled well, but obviously the engine had to work harder. I put the transmission in manual mode (which manufacturer recommends from what I’ve seen) and that seems to help it a lot when towing. I have read to not put the truck in 6th gear when towing, and haven’t except on long and flat highways. Otherwise I stay in 4th-5th gear when cruising at 60-70mph @ ~1800-2500rpms

I’ve read a bunch of threads where people dissect all the weights and help people out with literally same issue.Not necessarily trying to beat that dead horse anymore. I’m looking for help with ways to make current situation better and for an educated answer on how bad did I really do...

Without being a wise guy, can you please offer any insight?
Buying a new truck isn’t currently in the cards (it is paid off, so could be something to look at in near future). Selling trailer isn’t the best option and not something we want to do either. What are some things we could do to improve current situation if needed and possible?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A5410131-C3B5-4ABE-A8EF-1F0509798F59.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	253.9 KB
ID:	23635   Click image for larger version

Name:	26A177AD-17AA-42EB-9421-06D852CAAE26.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	218.6 KB
ID:	23636   Click image for larger version

Name:	AC73324F-A324-48BC-B2BD-19431F3897D9.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	238.6 KB
ID:	23637  
docwade87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 08:02 AM   #2
Snoking

Take the combination to a cat scale and get the three weights:

TV front axle
TV rear axle
Trailer axles

then drop the trailer and get(go in and tell them you want a reweigh of TV only.)
TV front axle
TV rear axle

You might want to go in and talk to them first before weighing if it is our first time. https://catscale.com/cat-scale-locator/

Come back and post these weight above along with the TV front GAWR and rear GAWR, we ready see the TV 7800 GVWR.

I assume from your second picture, based on TV axle ratio it is rated for a 9K trailer and your Cougar has a 7800 GVWR. Chris
Old 09-09-2019, 08:08 AM   #3
docwade87

I’m fairly certain I have those weights available on the truck as well either on the sticker or the manual. Stand by.
Old 09-09-2019, 08:10 AM   #4
wiredgeorge

If you are happy with the way the trailer tows, did all the "you got the wrong truck" threads prompt your query? If you are looking for a break down of your towing capability, perhaps list all relevant numbers for your truck typically found on a door jamb sticker. Payload would probably be the first thing. Also, a good weight estimate of how much you have in your truck (driver, passengers, pets, camping items, etc). Then find your tow hitch manufacturer's weight for the hitch and hitch accessories. How much will you be hauling in the trailer, etc?

Once you come up with this info and get to the scales, I am sure folks will be able to crunch the numbers. I have yet to see anyone pass with flying colors if that is any comfort. Last, if it tows fine, you may not want to stress any further by pursuing the possible ugly reality.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 08:16 AM   #5
docwade87

You are exactly right. Haha and just the fact that it definitely worked hard in the mountainous terrain which was to be expected, but got my mind curious. I may try and get the numbers just to see so I know for sure. I want to do things right as well and not just get by...knowing this stuff will help not only now but in future.
Old 09-09-2019, 08:31 AM   #6
Tbos

FYI, I don’t know what tires you run on the TT but a lot of them are only rated to 65 mph.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 08:33 AM   #7
wiredgeorge

My little F350 Superduty works a little harder in steep grades than out on the flatlands and I can likely safely tow two of the 5vers I own and still be within spec. If you have never towed in twisties or mountains or steep grades, any truck will work harder. I enjoy seeing my boost gauge pop up high and my fuel gauge drop low on a steep hill!

Here in the TX Hill Country we have what are called "The Twisted Sisters or The 3s". Ranch Road 335, 336 and 337. RR337 is the most twisty road in this part of the country and crawls along the edge of steep embankments over very deep canyons and is a favorite of the go-fast bike guys. Driving this road with a camper in tow is a white knuckle experience and one of the reasons I now have the F350 rather than the old 96 F250 is four wheel disk brakes. My brakes, especially the rear drums on the F250 got HOT doing this road and my wife's knuckles took about a week to un-clench (I said knuckles to be polite... might have been some other anatomical feature). The other road alternative was flat and boring and we had been on the Twisted Sisters MANY times on a bike and/or our trike where the experience is actually fun as opposed to terrifying!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 08:42 AM   #8
docwade87

Just updated OP with TV GAWR & GVWR sticker
Old 09-09-2019, 09:00 AM   #9
Northofu1

My trailer has a gvwr of 7450. I was towing it with the GMC 1500 that had a payload of 1680, a 7200 gvwr, and a max tow of 9200lbs (that some will say means didly)
It felt fine in wind and rain and curvy flats, what made me change tv's was the August Tennessee / Georgia trip (That never was), and the fact the 20's were coming out and I didn't want to wait to see how the new 6.6 gas engines would work, so dealers wanted to unload them to make room, which got me the deal I wanted. I also want to start venturing out west.
After my last trip, weighed my set up fairly empty and then trip ready, I was only carrying 450 lbs. I think as long as your aware of the fact you are at the top end of the trucks capacity, with careful loading, good LT tires, making sure TV suspension isn't too soft. you might be ok. That top end weight will definitely be taxing on your drive train, brakes and suspension, (not sure if you have external oil / tranny coolers). Personally, I would be looking for an upgrade TV. Look for a '19 model make it hd and you won't have any issues wherever you go. The big three hd trucks are all competent, it's just what brand you prefer.
Just my 2cents worth

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 09:59 AM   #10
docwade87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbos View Post
FYI, I don’t know what tires you run on the TT but a lot of them are only rated to 65 mph.

According to mfg Trailer King...the speed rating is 75. At most I travel at 70mph and that is it.

Thanks for all your answers thus far. I feel a bit better. I know I’m near the top of my towing capacity and we typically don’t pack too heavy. We are a bring what you need and must have and that is typically it. I will weigh TT in near future and get some approximate travel weights when packed etc for my peace of mind.

I may look into options for a stiffer stronger rear suspension.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:05 AM   #11
Snoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by docwade87 View Post
According to mfg Trailer King...the speed rating is 81. At most I travel at 70mph and that is it.

Thanks for all your answers thus far. I feel a bit better. I know I’m near the top of my towing capacity and we typically don’t pack too heavy. We are a bring what you need and must have and that is typically it. I will weigh TT in near future and get some approximate travel weights when packed etc for my peace of mind.

Load it for a typical trip and then weigh it to get real world numbers.

Regarding speed towing when you know you are towing near your limits, brings up a questions you should be asking yourself about, and thinking a lot about your family. The difference of handling a tight situation at 70 MPH vs 60 MPH is night and day. 14,000+ at 70 MPH has a lot of inertia. Chris
Old 09-09-2019, 03:55 PM   #12
docwade87

I am well aware of what increased speed and weight brings as I drive 40k+ vehicles at higher speeds for a living. Thank you for bringing that up as many do not think about that.
Old 09-09-2019, 05:42 PM   #13
Bolo4u

Quote:
According to mfg Trailer King...the speed rating is 75. At most I travel at 70mph and that is it.

I may look into options for a stiffer stronger rear suspension.
It seems you have had your original question answered. The next thing you should consider is swapping out the TK (aka China Bomb) tires at your earliest opportunity. There are numerous threads and posts related to concerns and experiences with those (and other) brand of tires. Since you're already doing good research as far as your towing criteria; the next logical step for piece of mind is tires.
Bolo4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 06:02 PM   #14
docwade87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolo4u View Post
It seems you have had your original question answered. The next thing you should consider is swapping out the TK (aka China Bomb) tires at your earliest opportunity. There are numerous threads and posts related to concerns and experiences with those (and other) brand of tires. Since you're already doing good research as far as your towing criteria; the next logical step for piece of mind is tires.
Good to know! Thanks for the insight. So many pieces to the puzzle when you’re new to owning a unit.
Old 09-09-2019, 06:31 PM   #15
Snoking

Quote:
Good to know! Thanks for the insight. So many pieces to the puzzle when you’re new to owning a unit.
Put GY Endurance load range E on it. Sell the OEM tires on Craigslist. My OEM ST225/75R15D sold the first day on CL.
Old 09-09-2019, 06:59 PM   #16
Bolo4u

Quote:
There are 3-4 really good, high quality tires available to upgrade to. I have had very good luck with the Carlisle HD tires. You can usually find them on sale and after selling your take offs, you may only be out of pocket $100-$200. As another poster mentioned the Goodyear Endurance line. You'll also hear about Maxxis and Sailun.
Bolo4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 05:48 AM   #17
docwade87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolo4u View Post
There are 3-4 really good, high quality tires available to upgrade to. I have had very good luck with the Carlisle HD tires. You can usually find them on sale and after selling your take offs, you may only be out of pocket $100-$200. As another poster mentioned the Goodyear Endurance line. You'll also hear about Maxxis and Sailun.

Thank you! I’m accustomed to Maxxis as I race and ride downhill mountain bikes. They are my go to tire and have been for a couple years. Any one of those brands better bang for the buck per say?
Old 09-10-2019, 05:54 AM   #18
Snoking

Availability of the Endurance would be the best, along with dealing with a company that has the best warranty.

Tires are to important to shop price in many cases.
Old 09-10-2019, 08:34 PM   #19
hornet28

Quote:
It has towing package on it with tow/haul feature that changes gear ratio and gives more upfront power etc etc.
Where did you come up with the idea that tow/haul changes the gear ratio and gives you more power? Changing your gear ratio on the fly would require a 2 speed rear-end
1917 T roadster 270 Hemi/4 spd
34' car trailer w/63" semi sleeper on the front
hornet28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 05:58 AM   #20
docwade87

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornet28 View Post
Where did you come up with the idea that tow/haul changes the gear ratio and gives you more power? Changing your gear ratio on the fly would require a 2 speed rear-end
I did not articulate correctly, here’s the more appropriate language for it. Engaging the tow haul feature in the Tundra causes the truck to hold lower gears longer when accelerating or decelerating and on long grades and mountain roads. This gives you more pulling, stopping, and steering power. It gives better engine response as well as adds engine braking. Definitely very noticeable. As stated previously the 5.7l V8 tundras do a spectacular job of hauling and towing in their weight/class ratings..