Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-25-2018, 10:10 AM   #1
Tweber

Questions regarding 2018 FK 3820

Does anyone have suggestions on multiple issues and what to do with this coach? Bought brand new and I’m finding screws in different places on the floor, sail switch went out, a/c compressors cycling on and off every 5 seconds , stress crack In a window, door latch not catching, toilet globe was broke but I fixed it. It’s 6 months old and I am at a loss on what to do. I use it for work and cannot leave it at the dealer for as long as it would take to repair everything. Please help!!!
Tweber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 10:21 AM   #2
Canonman

Welcome!
Sorry to hear of the problems you're experiencing.
I'd suggest locating a mobile repair service that is authorized to perform warranty work.
Not sure where Harvey's lake is, but hopefully there is a mobile service company that will do your warranty work.
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 12:08 PM   #3
Tweber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
Welcome!
Sorry to hear of the problems you're experiencing.
I'd suggest locating a mobile repair service that is authorized to perform warranty work.
Not sure where Harvey's lake is, but hopefully there is a mobile service company that will do your warranty work.
I know Canonmam but 6 months old and nothing but headache after headache. I work 12 hours a day and it's just difficult to coordinate everything. I appreciate your response though!
Old 11-25-2018, 03:32 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

I'm assuming you're moving the trailer all the time (screws in the floor all the time)? If so, there will some minor issues from time to time, especially with screws - depending on what they are from/where they are there are different ways to secure them to hopefully remedy that. Plus, moving does make other things flex and come loose. It also seems to me that you may have some issues with the extent/quality of the PDI done by the dealer. Did they go through the trailer thoroughly before you bought it? Did you go through it again with them to assure that everything was operating as it should and nothing broken/out of place?

In all reality your list isn't that bad. My dealer and I both did extensive inspections and the first year, year and a half I spent LOTS of time fixing things or having them fixed. They are done now (fingers crossed) but it did take some time. At times they aren't convenient; failed control board on furnace on a Friday night in 20 degree weather while in the trailer, under warranty and had to get the board and replace myself; 1 1/2 year old WH develops a tiny seam split and decides to fill the floor overnite…..and the list goes on and on. Owning an RV is an adventure....that never ends. You will have to get the "RV owner mindset" and expect the worst and hope for the best.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 04:16 PM   #5
Tweber

That's a good statement when you say get the RV mindset but as far as moving it, it's been from the dealer which I wouldn't recommend to my worst enemy which was abt 130 miles then I moved it 12 miles. So a total of 150 maybe. It just seems when you pay a good amount of money you should not be sold a pile of trash. I'm not gonna name the dealer but their customer service is AWFUL. My situation is a particular one though, I can't just bring it in when something goes wrong due to my work schedule. I'll keep my fingers crossed and attorneys updated. Thank you for your input, it means a lot.
Old 11-25-2018, 04:29 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Understand your situation. You just keep us (the forum) in mind. Tons of experience and many, many helpful folks here that will come to your aid, and in all honesty, will probably get you fixed up quicker and better than a dealership could ever hope to. When you hit the problem, post the specific issue and exactly what has happened and what you have/have not done.

Door latch not catching; mine had to be adjusted (me) and I think many others have had to as well. Cycling AC...what settings do you have? What brand/size? They actually cycle a lot at times. "Toilet globe" broken but you fixed? Are you talking about the base? Is it porcelain? What was broken and how did you repair it? (Don't want it to come back to haunt you). "Stress" crack in a window? What kind of "stress"? Cracked? Why did it not just break? Are you twisting the frame/body of the trailer in some way while set up?

Lots of questions but trying to get the lay of the land so that we can hopefully assist as quickly as possible.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 04:34 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

You may already know this, but just in case you don't, nobody from Keystone RV is a member of this site, they don't monitor this site and the factory has never responded to any comment/complaint that has been posted here. So, chances are that anyone at Keystone, who is in a position to help you will not see your comments....

That said, it has been my experience that once an attorney has been retained, Keystone (and most other companies) stop all work on the trailer, turn the matter over to their legal department and only resume work once the court (or the attorneys) reach a settlement. Sometimes that happens in a matter of weeks, often it takes months and in some situations, years before any settlement is reached. Good Luck with legal action against Keystone. Be prepared for a lengthy "limbo" period in which your RV sits, either at your dealership or in your back yard.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 06:51 PM   #8
Logan X

I found with my air conditioner, if I set the fan to low instead of auto, the fan was always on when the A/C was on. With the fan always on, I couldn’t tell when the compressor cycled on. It was much more pleasant to listen to, especially at night.

When the fan was set to auto, it would start and stop when the compressor started and stopped. It would keep my wife awake at night.

I hope this helps!
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 05:07 AM   #9
Tweber

Logan that does help and it's a much better idea. Coming from a family who owned a HVAC company you would have thought I'd a known that. Quiet honestly, this is all new to me and I just get frustrated. Another kind person said that I should have the RV mindset and indeed he was correct. It means the world to me that so many of you are willing to advise. The problem is also with me setting expectations, which is not something I should do. To all who have spent time and energy for me I sincerely thank you. At least I know I have support through this forum.
Old 11-29-2018, 05:31 AM   #10
Jgkopp

We have the same rig, 2016. We love the layout and front kitchen. Had a great PDI. I have the RV mindset. Have fixed some minor things and if you search my login I have posted some great tips. I am a HVAC guy. This Coleman a/c even through me a curve ball. In auto fan it will stop for a few seconds as it changes fan speed, what seems like short cycling. Your better off setting fan to high or low. High is recommended for higher temps and if the compressor needs to operate for longer than 20 minute cycles. There are some ductwork issues I have posted about.
One of our crown molding strips needed to be screwed down better. I have a few other minor issues but overall we’re very pleased with our rig and Keystones quality in their Montana product line. As stated, every day is an adventure, and my parents always took us camping. Fond memories in our 16’ 1960’s Shasta trailer with a hand water pump for sink water, butane lamp that also provided some heat, Honda motorcycle,s with custom racks my Dad built for the front and back. The refrigerator was a block of ice for cooling. We have come a long way now days, we even have an electric fireplace that looks so real and puts out heat.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ElygXOXXGSc
Jgkopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 05:47 AM   #11
Tweber

JG, thanks for the info. I’ll take a look at your threads and see if I can use any info. Funny thing, my family had an HVAC company for all of my life except I didn’t go that route, just familiar with the terminology and what not. Anyway, yes the “RV Mindset” is definitely an understatement and great piece of advice. It means so much there are lots of people in this forum who are willing to help. To all of you, thank you so much!
Old 01-25-2019, 05:31 AM   #12
Salsaman1a

Just picked up 2018 3820FL

Just bought one myself. Dually noted on your experience and if you have only other issues please let us know and I will don the same. Always want to be a head of the curve and share fixes to issues as they arrive.
Salsaman1a is offline   Reply With Quote