Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-12-2018, 07:52 PM   #1
RetiredOMA

Removal of peeling decals

Decals are peeling and or shrinking on our Keystone Cougar travel trailer - 2010 model . Desire to remove them. I have read how some people have used the heat from hair dryers to assist in that task. Guidance/suggestions appreciated. After I remove the decals what is a safe to use solvent to remove the glue residue? I do not plan on replacing the decals.
Any advice/guidance is appreciated. Thank you in advance.
RetiredOMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 02:53 AM   #2
Pull Toy

Two products come to mind. "Goof Off" and "Goo Be Gone" are available, but usually come in small bottles $$$ for big jobs. I would try turpentine, mineral spirits or paint thinner. But try it first in an inconspicuous area to make sure it doesn't hurt your Gel Coat.

You will probably have to buff out the area to allow for the difference in gloss due to weathering.

Good Luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 03:51 AM   #3
gearhead

I haven't done it, yet. I've read all about it though, so I guess I'm an armchair/internet subject matter expert. LOL
Anyway there seems to be several choices for removal. 3M makes a "removal wheel" that attaches to your drill. Reported to work pretty good. Amazon has them.
Others have used a razor blade and heat. I would be very careful with the razor blade. You can get a heat gun from Harbor Freight pretty cheap.
Another option is using a wallpaper steamer. There is a current thread about that on RV.net, I think in the 5th wheel forum.
3M makes aerosol "Adhesive Remover". I would test it in a small spot first.
I've been saying for 2 years I was going to do it on my cabover. I think the biggest problem is ghosting. You will have as new fiberglass under the decal as opposed to weathered siding everywhere else. Look on that RV.net thread at what was done. Used a wallpaper steamer, then masked and painted with Krylon.
https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...g/1/page/1.cfm
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 04:43 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

I use a heat gun to remove decals. Then use denatured alcohol to clean any residue. If your not applying new decals you may have a shiny spot where the decal was, and the only fix is to buff out the whole trailer.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 05:53 AM   #5
66joej

I have used WD40 to remove decal glue. Cheap and worked for me. Of course it depends on how long decals have been in direct sun.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 05:54 AM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

Be very cautious when using a heat gun, it's easy to blister the gel coat. Same can be said with any friction type pad, staying in spot too long can be disastrous. From years of previous boat ownership I used to see the marina use acetone but that was years ago so I'd think there might be a better product. If you have a marina nearby you may want to check with them as they deal with this every day.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 07:08 AM   #7
cynjon

+1 on the eraser wheel, although I've only used them on vinyl graphics on vehicles, not fiberglass. Slow and steady is the key, as too much speed on the drill can burn the paint and just turns the vinyl to goo rather then rolling it off. Then some denatured alcohol or Goo Gone to remove any remaining residue.
cynjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 07:32 AM   #8
RetiredOMA

Thanks for the info

Thanks for the speedy replies. Before I get started I will take pictures so that hopefully they will assist others. Not sure which method I will use but I need to do something. I will also take pictures of the end result.
Lesson learned - do not buy another trailer with decals.
RetiredOMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 03:56 PM   #9
Pull Toy

Thanks for your "future input"!

We all depend on each other for reliable input and resolutions to help resolve issues. Better yet... we're free! Dealers ain't cheap! $$$ when we can fix it ourselves in a lot less time!

Good Luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
decals