Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 08-29-2016, 07:58 PM   #1
Dave W

Bed platform gas 'springs' plea for guidance

Last year I cut the bed platform height down by about 5 inches. When I did this, I pulled the two gas springs out. Unfortunately the memory card that I used to document approximate locations of the platform end brackets ended up corrupted and the inner panel pieces I removed that had the original screw holes were trashed when I pulled it apart in small pieces (glue and dozens of staples). Does anyone have a location or dimensions they could get for me so these springs can be mounted correctly? The raiseable piece is correctly set as those spring brackets were never removed.

Thanks
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 04:02 AM   #2
tech740

Mine are 20 3/8" From the bottom of the non moving head support board to the center of the ball. My struts are 20" extended. Hope that helps.

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 07:09 PM   #3
Dave W

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech740 View Post
Mine are 20 3/8" From the bottom of the non moving head support board to the center of the ball. My struts are 20" extended. Hope that helps.
I have tried to figure out where that 20-3/8" is measured from but I have to be dense and can't. The struts on ours are also 20" long in a free state.
Old 08-31-2016, 04:11 AM   #4
notanlines

Dave, I have tried every which way to measure something that would be the same as what you have. We have the same struts, but the bed box might be different. We are at the trailer right now. If you want me to text you a couple pictures just send me a message and I'll contact you and sent them right away.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 05:05 AM   #5
Dave W

Thanks for the advice folks. I think I'll put this project on the shelf for the next few weeks as we are traveling (headed for Durango, CO this morning from Colorado Springs). I've pulled the existing, improperly mounted springs off and will use 'muscle power' when we need something from under there.

Part of my problem is the mattress that weighs in at probably 2-3X what the original Keystone pad did
Old 08-31-2016, 04:45 PM   #6
tech740

Hope this helps
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2016-08-31-20-44-04.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	11149  

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 06:09 PM   #7
Tom N OH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
Thanks for the advice folks. I think I'll put this project on the shelf for the next few weeks as we are traveling (headed for Durango, CO this morning from Colorado Springs). I've pulled the existing, improperly mounted springs off and will use 'muscle power' when we need something from under there.

Part of my problem is the mattress that weighs in at probably 2-3X what the original Keystone pad did
Enjoy your trip to Durango. Lovely little town & the train to Silverton is a nice ride. The Cumbres & Toltec is a much more scenic ride if you have the time while in that area.

2017 F350 CC LB SRW 6.7
2015 Montana HC 305RL
Tom N OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 06:52 PM   #8
Dave W

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech740 View Post
Hope this helps
Perfect - I'll give it a try. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N OH View Post
Enjoy your trip to Durango. Lovely little town & the train to Silverton is a nice ride. The Cumbres & Toltec is a much more scenic ride if you have the time while in that area.
It has been years since the last trip here - what a difference in the town. Have taken the Durango-Silverton train but probably wont this trip though may drive to Silverton on Friday. The Cumbres & Toltec might have been a good choice but at this point, would be a big backtrack on US160 (and Wolf Creek Pass) and many 30 mph miles that are being rebuilt. Dang!!!
Old 09-01-2016, 11:32 AM   #9
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N OH View Post
The wife and I rode the narrow gauge, from Durango to Silverton, 13 years ago and it was great.

On our trip out, 2 years ago, I was pretty shocked at how much the ride costs now (like over $100 each maybe?)

I think it was around 35 previously.

I'll check out Cumbres & Toltec the next time we are in the area.

Thanks,

-Brian
Old 10-03-2016, 08:09 AM   #10
Dave W

Did a trial fit and have to report that 20-3/8 from the header shown in the photo will not work on ours without moving the top bracket which I didn't have time to 'play' with at the time. I also think that I have a bad gas spring as my 200 pounds just cannot compress the 80 pound Made in China operating force gas spring any amount which tells me something internal happened to it. I'll order a pair of new springs and go from there.

These are Industrial Gas Spring, Inc pieces and I will be contacting them directly for correct force rating and mounting now that I have one in-hand. Their web site is pretty decent too.
Old 10-15-2016, 09:49 AM   #11
Dave W

Re: Bed platform gas 'springs' plea for guidance

I found the pieces that I trimmed off the bed platform in my soon-to-be-cut to kindling pile. The required bracket mounting dimension is 27-1/2" from the outside foot end of the platform. The top flap now works as it should.

What I thought was a jammed gas spring wasn't as the other is just as stiff. Come to find out - you just cannot simply (easily!!) compress these springs by leaning on them. You need some sort of lever arm (2nd class if I recall my last physics course).
Old 10-15-2016, 01:32 PM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

When they are operational the struts are that way - very difficult to operate by hand. Keep in mind that the struts are rated for varying loads and you said you have a mattress that is 2-3 times the weight of the original mattress - they might have a problem. On the other hand, we replaced our RV mattress with a new, thicker, much heavier mattress and our struts work fine. Hopefully yours will as well.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 05:00 PM   #13
chuckster57
Site Team

Struts are rated by pounds. If you can post a P/N I may be able to give you the rating, then you could get different ones. They come in various ratings and lengths.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 04:30 AM   #14
Dave W

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Struts are rated by pounds. If you can post a P/N I may be able to give you the rating, then you could get different ones. They come in various ratings and lengths.
These actually had the 'weight' rating on them at 80 pounds. I may try a pair of 70 pounders but these seem to work just fine for now even with a boat anchor weight Simmons mattress instead of the feather weight original