Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-27-2014, 06:40 PM   #1
Doghouse

SH Warning Light on Tekonsha Prodigy Brake Controller # 90185 Mean

Hi All..Happy Turkey Day

I am having an issue with my brake controller (Tekonsha Prodigy) and am looking for some feedback for a fix as I it is the eve of a camping trip.

Currently I will be driving and an SH warning comes up, sometimes it is blinking and will change to PL when I hit the breaks, but it doesn’t seem that the trailer is breaking until I manually ease the break controller.

I have looked at the connector and there seems to be nothing obvious going wrong, I have checked all of my fuses (don’t know if this would have an effect on anything) and all is clear. I have read on some other boards about checking wiring for any fraying, which I have and all seems to be clear.

I am heading out tomorrow and feel ok with it as I can manually break the trailer, but want to know if I should be concerned or if there is a clear fix for this.

Happy Turkey Day!
Doghouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 07:39 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

Here is a link that might explain your issue. If it were me, I wouldn't move the trailer any further than needed.

http://www.etrailer.com/question-6716.html

The SH means the controller is seeing a short in the brake system

Another link:

http://accessories.etrailer.com/trailer/Sh-Code

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 07:47 PM   #3
B&T

sh = short circuit in brake wiring, check for frayed/worn insulation in the brake wiring.
pl = power loss, may be related to the short circuit.
2003 R-Vision Traillite
B&T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 04:42 AM   #4
notanlines

The only time we had the same problem with our controller the end result was that the trailer brakes had worn down and the shoes were digging into the brake drums on two units. The trailer repair shop couldn't explain why it sent that code, but that was the reason. $800 later all was well, including larger brake shoes and all new drums.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake controller issues, trailer brake