Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-16-2013, 09:15 AM   #1
fuzion14

generator wont stay running

I have an 08 fuzion with a fuel station. I have an onan 5500 that will start then immediately die. I have to hold choke to keep in running. any suggestions.
Thanks
fuzion14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:37 PM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

Disconnect the low oil shut off switch and see if it runs then, but be sure you have oil first.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:45 PM   #3
tileman

If you have to hold the choke in you may have a cloged pilot jet in the carb.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:51 PM   #4
rnkburg

Clean the carb, if it hasn't been run in a while may be easier to replace. Fuel now a days is horrible on small engines . I can't stress the importance enough on a fuel stabilizer / ethanol treatment .

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
rnkburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 02:56 PM   #5
Htfiremedic

Mine did the same. The trouble code was wrong. I had to replace the brushes and it is great now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -
Htfiremedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 03:59 PM   #6
KenBob

Had to replace the carburetor on our Onan 5500. Went a few months without running it. Tried to start but would die. Took carb off and tried to clean. Ran a little longer then would die. Fouled the plugs rich. Put a new carb and new plugs. Runs like new! I did have stabilizer in fuel but failed to drain carb after exercising gen. There is no rebuild kit for carb. A $300 lesson. REGULARLY RUN YOUR GENERATORS!
KenBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 08:29 AM   #7
Jager

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnkburg View Post
Clean the carb, if it hasn't been run in a while may be easier to replace. Fuel now a days is horrible on small engines . I can't stress the importance enough on a fuel stabilizer / ethanol treatment .
+1 except I would suggest not using fuel with Ethanol any more. I have been through just about every small engine I own, generators, lawn mowers, weed wackers, etc . . . either replacing or major overhaul on the carbs due to that crappy gas. I also don't believe in the additives. I have seen fuel lines and carbs plugged full of gel like crud that used additives to prevent this. Find yourself a good source of real gas, no ethanol.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:03 AM   #8
Desert185

Its getting really difficult trying to find gas without ethanol. Using Stabil on a regular basis seems to help in my case with quads, gens, lawnmower, weed eater, chainsaw, etc. I occasionally use 100LL avgas in my Honda 1000 with good results, but my Smarter Tools 2000's (with Yamaha engines) caution against using leaded fuels. It would seem we are at the mercy of ethanol added fuels.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 03:42 PM   #9
rnkburg

Use the marine formula stabil. It has the best protection and twice as strong so you don't need to use as much. I have been to a class out on by them. Very informative

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-23-2014, 03:46 PM   #10
rnkburg

We run aviation fuel in our products when they come off the line it helps them break on better and it won't damage carb. It also doesn't leave a gas smell. The reason they caution is the engines have been tuned to the lower octane and it can cause damage if run for long period of time. For small stuff you can buy a product called tru fuel that is ethanol free or your best bet at a pump would be close to a lake river

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-24-2014, 09:16 AM   #11
Jager

There use to be NO gas stations here that sold real gas (without ethanol) but when the entire country started having tons of problems with their engines, especially anything not fuel injected stations stared to carry it again. I have seen it all over the place and there is a web site that will tell you where the nearest station is that offers it. The site is far from perfect but better than nothing. Most of the stations around here carry it but only in premium. It is marked on the pump if it is ethanol free.

Ya, once everyone in America started having all the problems and called their congressman to ask what they were thinking . . . then we got some action.