Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2013, 03:44 PM   #1
usaclark

2014 Premier Bullet Stove Hood Vent

I discovered that the hood over the stove which is equipped with a fan and a light does not vent to the outside. Do any RV hood vents, vent to the outside? Is there a kit to enable it to vent to the outside. There has been so much thought put into the design of our new 2014 Premier Bullet 19FBR and we are really enjoying it. Every time we make coffee or do anything on a burner, we turn the vent fan on to take a way the steam and the cooking odor only to find it recycled into the main cabin to trip the smoke alarm. Why wasn't this vented to the outside? It would have been so simple at the time of construction.

Man with the smoke alarm under a pillow.
usaclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 03:56 PM   #2
Englishman

We installed a fan into the roof venf to fix that issue. Its a poor design.

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk 4
https://thecloudscamping.weebly.com/
Englishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:22 AM   #3
cathcartww

Not venting the hood to the outside is apparently relatively common on Keystone products - our Outback 277RL is not vented outside, and many other members on Outbacker.com have the same complaint.

As mentioned above, many have installed a fan on the roof vent nearest the stove. If the back of the vent hood faces an outside wall, it is a relatively easy modification to redirect the discharge out through the wall.

Unfortunately, on the 277RL (and some other models) the back of the vent hood faces a window rather than a wall, and venting straight out is not an option. Some owners have rigged a vent using 4" dryer vent components, but it is a more difficult job ......

Apparently, there are many owners that never use the stove, and don't miss an outside vent .....

2014 Forest River Wildcat 272RLX Fifth Wheel
2018 F-250 4x4 Crew Cab 6.2L Gasser
cathcartww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:30 PM   #4
Andymon

Our 08 266RLSS has a vent.

08 Springdale 266RLSS
99 F250 PS 7.3 Diesel
Medford, OR
Andymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:43 AM   #5
billb800si

Many manufacturers are not venting their stoves to the outside now. If you decide to modify your trailer for a direct outside vent be careful when cutting the hole in the wall for the vent.
Another option would be if there's a roof vent by the stove area just install a vent fan there.
Our 2014 Cougar HC 321RES has a outside vent in the slide over the stove.
Good luck,

Bill B. (Michigan)
2014 Cougar H.C. 321RES
2007 Dodge Megacab 6.7 Cummins
billb800si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 06:31 AM   #6
GaryWT

Our 2013 is not vented but we have the outside kitchen so we do not cook inside much. Actually used the inside stove twice this week for breakfast as it was in the 30's but still did the coffee outside.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 01:44 PM   #7
CUFFS054

My 2010 Springdale 291 w/ rear kitchen is vented. I cook alot and wouldn't be w/o external vent. The fan is god-awful loud though.
CUFFS054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:38 AM   #8
Ken / Claudia

Mine is vented to outside. I will still at some point put in a power fan in the nearest vent. Just to move more air thru out the trailer. Had one in the artic fox and used it alot to help get out hot air at start up of AC etc. I think there are a good investment.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:45 AM   #9
RS0530

My 2013 Cougar 27RLSWE vents to the outside, but it has a plastic flap with two clips that need to be turned to unlock it. Then when the fan is turned on the flap opens to allow the vent.
2003 Chevy 2500HD Duramax
RS0530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 07:42 PM   #10
threejaws

My 2012 sprinter has a outside vent.
threejaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 06:55 AM   #11
Bob Landry

There sees to be no rhyme or reason behind the decision to install vents on KS's trailers. I also am going to take exception to the statement about a lot of design going into these trailers. On the first year's model, then yes, but after that, nothing changes on a yearly basis despite the complaints that Keystone has to have heard about this particular issue. As far as the kitchen window preventing the installation of a vent, I would submit that this is probably the result of a bean counter/purchasing agent that must have gotten a super deal on those windows and they had to be used somewhere. The galley was it.
I've seen a PDF that was drawn by someone who had fabricated a sheet metal duct to the outside, but to me, it was quite complicated and seemed beyond the expertise of the average DIYer, myself included. My solution was to install a Fantastic Fan in the vent opening in front of the stove. that keeps heat/smoke from reaching the smoke detector that was installed directly in front of the stove. I guess KS thought their customers were not smart enough to tell if they were burning the bacon. At any rate, I'm still trying to figure that one out, but then Keystone did not call me at home to ask my opinion about their design. That said, my Outback 277RL meets my needs and after many hours of mods and only a few simple repairs, I overlook the lack of a hood vent and a wall switch for the overhead bedroom lights, enjoy the amenities that it does have and do not let the small stuff bother me. I think the thing that probably bothers me the most is that I would expect these features, or lack of, in an entry level trailer, but the Outback is certainly not in that class. I'm keeping silent mental notes that I will certainly call up in the event there is ever another trailer in my future. My only real complaint at this point is that there is no way to swap the microwave with a convection type without doing some serious cabinet alteration and I'm not up to that at this time.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 06:37 PM   #12
Garyd

Our Sprinter 311BHS vents to the outside
Garyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:06 PM   #13
RGene7001

I asked the dealer to install a traditional outside exhaust hood after checking with Keystone. It should not affect body structure. The quote is $430 or so. We use the trailer as a summer destination residence in addition to several local trips during each year (90 days of camping since purchase), do a lot of cooking. Still did not have a chance to check the new vent in action, the shop is working on solving a different issue

Gene.

'13 Passport 2650 BH- traded in
RGene7001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:30 AM   #14
Charby

My stove vent will be found in the recycle bin this week as it was useless, and used matching single light out of front storage to install under microwave. I replaced storage light with another similar one from Canadian Tire. Installing Maxxair Turbo vent in kitchen area next week for ventilation. Amazon.com has best price if anyone looking at same idea.
Old 02-05-2014, 04:04 PM   #15
Inherentwired1

I use a portable fan aimed out the window...you"re right the design leaves a lot to be desired
Inherentwired1 is offline   Reply With Quote