Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 05-09-2010, 09:11 AM   #1
fiddlinrver

Thumbs down seals around plumbing in bathroom

We were surprised that we could see daylight under the bathroom sink cupboard where the plumbing goes to the basement. Our last RV had that foam seal around things like that.

Is this normal or was there to be that foam sealant at those spots? Has anyone sealed these areas...and how?

I wonder what it looks like under the kitchen sink - need to check that too.

Dianne
fiddlinrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 02:51 PM   #2
GBHRPS

The bottom of my 2004 Cougar has a cover which hides the tanks, plumbing and wiring. It has 2 or 3 openings where the fresh water tank drain and the low point drains come through the cover. Here the factory used some sort of black expandable foam to seal up the openings around the drains that hang down.

I would expect that you could do the same using the standard yellow expandable foam that comes in spray cans, and is used to seal openings around doors and windows of your home before you put the wood trim pieces on.

Simply spray it into the opening using the tube supplied and let it expand above and below the opening to ensure a good weather seal. Let it setup until no longer tacky and then you will be able to use an exacto knife (let the blade extend out of the handle 2 or 3 inches) to slice through the foam. Lay the blade flat on the floor and slice towards the drain pipe and pull the excess foam away.

When the foam is completely set, you may wish to cover the foam with a small bead of clear or white silicone seal, in order to give it a finished look.
Good Luck!
GBHRPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 07:39 PM   #3
SLIMSHADIE

I had a mouse come in the new camper last fall. I was so suprised how many holes and how big they were for 1 wire or pipe. I ended up using steel wool and foam for every nook and cranny. I ended up using the window and door foam cause it didnt over expand. And like GB said use a razor to cut the excess if necessary.
Old 06-13-2010, 05:38 PM   #4
icefireguy

That was one of the items I had on my punch list when I returned our Sydney 5th wheel to Camping World after our first use. They agreed it should have been done at the factory and took care of it for us. They just used the yellow foam.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:49 PM   #5
DFreiberger

Floor penetrations

I happened to notice my holes in the floor with no sealing, etc. I also have the insulated underbelly which will certainly contribute to keeping bugs, rodents out. However, I still wish to seal off all the holes in my floor also. I thought about using the foam also but was afraid that as the foam swelles to seal and dry, that it might pinch of the clear flexible water lines to the sinks, etc.
DFreiberger is offline   Reply With Quote