Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 12-20-2009, 09:19 PM   #1
BCRVer

Shocks on Challenger 5th Wheel

Added shocks to our Challenger. Purchased them from a wheel and axle shop, 1/4 the price of dealer cost. Mounting brackets were already in place. 4 shocks, 2 on each side, front and back of axle. Biggest challenge was lifting the trailer high enough to get the shocks in the mounts. Makes the ride alot smoother, definitely will make sure all future trailers have them.

BCRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 06:41 AM   #2
hhh

shocks

BCRVer
I also have a 2007 Challenger (29RKP) and would like to install shocks. I looked for the mounting brackets and our camper has the mount on the frame but not on the axle. I have included a pic of what is on my camper. If possible, I would like to have more info on the type of shocks and how they were mounted.
Thank You
hhh
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	camper2.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	68  
hhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 07:55 PM   #3
BCRVer

My trailer had both top and bottom brackets. See pic at http://www.ourspot.ca/wwwourspotca/pics Pics rather big but I didn't have program to resize smaller. I measured the distance between the brackets and went to an axle and suspension supplier and told them what I wanted for my rig and they gave me exactly what I needed. I think my shocks were about 8.5 inches. Price was 1/4 of what they cost from the dealer. I know others have gotten Monroe brand shocks but I didn't have access to them. Hardest part was jacking trailer high enough to get the shocks in place. I have more before pics I can post soon, will take some after pics next time I'm at the trailer, it's in storage right now in the town where we mostly use it. Hope this info helps.

Another thought: Monroe's website has a kit for adding shocks but I would try contacting Keystone first for the lower bracket. It would probably be easier...though not really sure how difficult it would be to replace.

BCRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 08:33 PM   #4
hhh

Challenger Shocks

BCRVer

Thank you for the information and the pix. I see that they didn't include the lower bracket on the axle. I think the next step for me is to identify the axle and see if the bracket is available from challenger or maybe from the co that produced the axle. Additional pix would be greatly appreciated when you have the time.

hhh
Old 04-08-2010, 09:01 PM   #5
SLIMSHADIE

I've seen pix that somebody(monroe?) makes a lower mounting bracket that attaches to the leafsprings and ubolts? Maybe more searching is needed. They had the top spring mounts already and just bought the shocks and lower brackets. The installation was almost a cakewalk.
Old 04-10-2010, 07:00 PM   #6
hhh

Challenger shocks

The axles that are on our 5ver are Dexters. They have the kit for the installation of shocks. I have attached drawings of their kit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	70   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image2.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	71