Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2022, 04:11 PM   #1
amrap

Question NO wifi at campground

Found a seasonal campsite that is affordable, has full hookups and the site is situated so we can easily pull the trailer out if we decide on a road trip.

The only downside.....NO WIFI. I was thinking about "working from home" on the computer but....NO WIFI. I'd like to have internet so I can get wifi and use my ROKU for addition TV channels but am confused by all the choices! What's the most affordable way? Is there something portable and pay as you go?

Ed
2017 Ram 1500 5.7 liter V8 Hemi...(GAS GUZZLER)
amrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 04:57 PM   #2
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrap View Post
Found a seasonal campsite that is affordable, has full hookups and the site is situated so we can easily pull the trailer out if we decide on a road trip.

The only downside.....NO WIFI. I was thinking about "working from home" on the computer but....NO WIFI. I'd like to have internet so I can get wifi and use my ROKU for addition TV channels but am confused by all the choices! What's the most affordable way? Is there something portable and pay as you go?

Ed
Be ready to spend the $$ you've saved on that affordable site on some sort of internet service.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 05:19 PM   #3
markcee

You're going to get a ton of recommendations on this one.

As for affordability my .02 is for Visible.

Service is $40 per month for 'unlimited' data. This cost can go as low as $25 per month with 4 total subscribers on their party plan. The other subscribers do not have to be members of your family or friends of yours. Visible works this differently than other carriers, see their site for details.

Visible is owned by and uses the Verizon infrastructure, including 5G. The only time data speed is throttled is during a period of high Verizon traffic in your area, at which time priority would go to regular Verizon subscribers and your speed will slow.

I am not a full timer, usually out in the trailer 40-50 nights per year and Visible has served us well the last 2 years. Provided I have a bar or two of service I am able to stream my FuboTV service, get on the internet etc. without much hassle. I simply use my iPhone as a hotspot and connect to it with a Firestick plugged into my cheap Keystone issued Summit TV.

Having said that, I do not know how mission critical your need for internet is. There are certainly more expensive and more robust routes you can take, but provided you have a cell signal, Visible is a cheap way to go.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 05:26 PM   #4
amrap

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcee View Post
You're going to get a ton of recommendations on this one.

As for affordability my .02 is for Visible.

Service is $40 per month for 'unlimited' data. This cost can go as low as $25 per month with 4 total subscribers on their party plan. The other subscribers do not have to be members of your family or friends of yours. Visible works this differently than other carriers, see their site for details.

Visible is owned by and uses the Verizon infrastructure, including 5G. The only time data speed is throttled is during a period of high Verizon traffic in your area, at which time priority would go to regular Verizon subscribers and your speed will slow.

LOL...I was just looking at VISIBLE. I may look for a new phone and try it for awhile. If it works out, I'll get rid of my Verizon 3G piece of 1990 technology.
2017 Ram 1500 5.7 liter V8 Hemi...(GAS GUZZLER)
amrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 05:31 PM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
LOL...I was just looking at VISIBLE. I may look for a new phone and try it for awhile. If it works out, I'll get rid of my Verizon 3G piece of 1990 technology.
All 3G phones will become paperweights very soon.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 06:23 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

Look into Visible. I use it and it works pretty well. It IS susceptible to busy times and video quality degrading but very seldom (we're streaming Netflix now). No HD but that's OK by us. I bought a separate Samsung S21? simply for a "hotspot/streaming". It just lives in the RV. My winter location has a dedicated wifi loop from xfinity and it works just fine with no problems.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 07:12 PM   #7
wiredgeorge

First, check speeds for Verizon on campgroundreviews.com for your prospective campground. A new and valuable feature is that folks reviewing can make a speed test and it gets added to the data speeds for that campground. If you don't find Verizon has good speeds and AT&T has better, I have Consumer Cellular and have unlimited data which comes in handy for when campground wifi is substandard. I use a Roku as well and keep track of my business online when camping. I have also added a 4G antenna, booster and router. I have a write up in the tech section of this site if you hunt around by my username.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 02:19 AM   #8
RickV

We've learned not to rely on campground wifi. We used to have Galaxy phones and could mirrorcast to the TV. In essence we were streaming from our phones using our unlimited data not hotspot data and never had a problem and only used hotspot for the PC. Earlier this year we got Google Pixel phones and now are not able to mirrorcast because Google wants you to buy their Chromecast garbage which has to have wifi to work, by the time we realized this we were out of the return window. So now we have to use hotspot data to stream from the TV. We have two phones both with 50gb of hotspot data so it won't be a problem but it still pisses me off about not being able to mirrorcast. We pay $55 a month for service for each phone on Verizon for unlimited data and 50gb of hotspot. So if you got a plan like that you'd be good to go.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 06:31 AM   #9
peanut

Quote:
What's the most affordable way? Is there something portable and pay as you go?
Ed
Do you have a "smart" phone? Use it.
Get unlimited data (if you don't already have it) and just tether your computer/laptop to the phone via USB to USB cable, then just use it as usual.

That's what I did on my recent 6 week trip. As long as you can get a cell signal it works just fine. I surfed the net, researched attractions and made reservations, paid utility bills for home, checked email, checked bank accounts and did all of the other normal internet useage. You could even set up a bluetooth/wireless printer if you needed it. Also, a USB to HDMI cable would allow TV useage thru your cell phone. Most (if not all) newer TV's have HDMI input.

A cable will cost 15-20 bucks. There is no extra "hotspsot" charge, no fancy equipment to buy and set up. It just works. And, as I understand it and have been told, no extra worries about security because your cell line is yours alone. If you use your phone for internet use at home with no worries you shouldn't need to worry about using it in some park somewhere.

peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 09:06 AM   #10
Weldon

Quote:

Ed
I normally work from the camper when we travel. Often, we have no wifi but I have a work phone. If I need to use my laptop, i do carry a Verizon Mifi hotspot with us. When I need internet, I can go to a store or call them up and purchase a 16gb plan (good for 30 days or until the data is used up) for about $50. Sometimes they have a bogo deal, so I get 30gb. If you have a lot of webex meetings, the data gets used up quickly. If you're just working spreadsheets or apps on your pc, it will last a long time. When I'm done, I let the kids connect their tablets either on the way home, or when I get home (so my bandwidth won't suffer from too many devices). Just a suggestion. We've had ours about 3 years now and have no complaints. I bought it refurbished from Amazon.
Weldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 06:01 AM   #11
jxnbbl

Due to recommendations from the forum I converted one of my 5 lines lines to Visible for our long trip this year. We used it in locations with no/bad wifi and I was able to work/stream with no problems in all but 1 place (bad cell service). Since then I've 'parked' one of the numbers with google voice so I don't lose the number, kicked my two remaining children off the family plan (giving them access to the 'visible share plan' I created) and reduced my monthly bill from $225/month with no hot-spotting. To $50/month (granted two of my kids not pay $25 each).

However, I now have hotspotting as well as what I use to have...unlimited call/texting/data (not hotspotting) that I use to have....and the service is the same (it should be since it is verizon 'under the covers').

The one difference is that...they require an email/account "per phone number". Where I use to have a single bill with 5 phones on it. Each phone has its own 'account/billing'...but they are virtually linked to a share plan for pricing.
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 06:24 AM   #12
dutchmensport

Affordable and Pay-As-You-Go?

Yes, Visible. The "work around" for Visible? Visible is set up so only 1 device can be connected to the phone at a time. There's no stipulation what that device can be. If it be WIFI or wired. But only 1.

So, the work around is to attach a hard wired portable router that sends out a WIFI signal. Then, you can connect any device to the router WIFI. We operate 3 computers and 2 Roku televisions, all at the same time and been doing it successfully all over the country for 2 years now. It's a pay monthly program, no contracts and if you do not share your plan number for the advertised discounted price, it's $40 a month. And IT IS TRULY UNLIMITED! We stream a lot of television and we both worked from home with our company laptops (I'm retired now, using only my personal computer, but the wife is still working full time. We live about 90% of the time on the road, in the camper.

Here's the video that introduced me to what I needed to know to get started. The only difference is, I used a different portable router as the one he talked about was not available at the time.

Old 07-26-2022, 06:44 AM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

^^^^Yes, the phone hotspot will be limited to one connection but like above we use a TP-Link router that gives us access to the wifi hotspot from any number of devices. We only use 2 smartphones, a laptop and smart TV but they work great with the exception of HD streaming which I've mentioned before.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 10:53 AM   #14
ChuckS

For those that need internet with fast speeds and reliable connections I believe Star Link is the future... I've been at two locations over in Montana and had the pleasure to watch a fella set his up... from start to finish was maybe five minutes...

Fast DL and decent UL speeds with minimal lag.

The place we stayed at the Wifi was next to useless... as it always is during this time of year due to the crowds and overworked systems...

Verizon was ok but slow and no 5G.. Thats also normal for West Yellowstone area in May thru Aug... the systems really get taxed when all the folks come back from the park and get on their devices...

Startup investment for Starlink is costly but if you gotta have internet due to working from home, etc then its gonna be the winner in my book in the long run..

It will take some more time to streamline the system and such and maybe the initial outlay costs and monthly costs will come down.

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 03:00 PM   #15
Camp CA

We use a hotspot on our cell phone for wifi, when the rv park does not have wifi.
Old 07-26-2022, 03:31 PM   #16
wiredgeorge

Again, I suggest if you are going to be at one park more or less all the time, go to campgroundreviews.com and check out the speed test average for the phone carrier you are contemplating. Pushing everyone to a Verizon based carrier may not be the best option.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 07:46 AM   #17
Cascadia

We use our cell phones

We have the unlimited plan with AT&T. We use our hotspots to enable internet access on our laptops and use our phones to cast to our TV so we can watch Netflix, HBO, etc. We have Samsung phones and a Samsung smart TV. My hubby needs internet access for work. We used to have satellite-based internet but it was too slow and expensive. Our wifi Hotspots through our phones are fast and our TV streaming is perfect. We live in the woods on a lake and this works perfectly for us!
Cascadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 08:07 AM   #18
Ddaddyo

Verizon is a No Go for me. We're on a Permanent Spot in N/E Indiana. Phone Service/Text is fine with 4 Bars. Data is mediocre durning the week and sometimes nonexistent on Weekends. Verizon Store says their Working on it, for the last 3 years......
Ddaddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 01:11 AM   #19
Dave fromRockcliffeTheSea

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
For those that need internet with fast speeds and reliable connections I believe Star Link is the future... I've been at two locations over in Montana and had the pleasure to watch a fella set his up... from start to finish was maybe five minutes...

The place we stayed at the Wifi was next to useless... as it always is during this time of year due to the crowds and overworked systems...

Verizon was ok but slow and no 5G.. Thats also normal for West Yellowstone area in May thru Aug... the systems really get taxed when all the folks come back from the park and get on their devices...

Startup investment for Starlink is costly but if you gotta have internet due to working from home, etc then its gonna be the winner in my book in the long run..

It will take some more time to streamline the system and such and maybe the initial outlay costs and monthly costs will come down.
I use Star Link at home. Great.
Old 08-01-2022, 07:18 AM   #20
firestation12

Starlink

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post

We’ve had our 5er parked at a friend’s ranch in northern Arizona this summer and have been using his Starlink for phone via Starlink WiFi. As stated by ChuckS it sets up and is operable is less than 5 minutes. Last year we erected a 80x60 steel Quonset hut building that completely blocked what little cell coverage there was (1 bar of Verizon none of any other cell carrier). One of my sons purchased one of the first Starlink (mobile version) 2 months ago and I borrowed it to try on the friend’s ranch. The WiFi coverage not only works throughout the interior of the metal building, but also is reaching the 6 adjacent rv spaces when the roll up door is opened. The friend ordered his own Starlink that day and received it less than a week later. Yesterday he ordered a part from Starlink that allows a second device to be installed outside the building so that the roll up door will no longer be needed. Amazing that that single Starlink can stream video and data throughout a 100 yard radius. Memorial Day the entire family camped at a location in the white mountain region of northeast AZ and a single Starlink provided useful WiFi to all 5 fifth wheel campers. Photo 1 is the recent permanent antenna mast installed on the Quonset hut using 1-1/4” EMT conduit, 2 photo is the indoor antenna set outside the Quonset hut roll up door providing service to all 6 rv slots, #6 is a temporary mast made of 1-1/4” PVC pipe zip tied to the roof ladder at Memorial Day camp out (zero cell service without Starlink). Cost of Starlink was $600 and $125 per month. The monthly fee can be suspended as needed when not being used. Elon Musk made Starlink available to Ukraine that restored it’s wartime communication lost through attacks. While not all of the SpaceX satellites are not in place making 100% coverage complete, a former coworker just finished a 30 day 5,000 mile trip of the western U.S. and his Starlink performed flawlessly. I think ChuckS is right…..Starlink is the future.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01AA11DC-8DFC-4B1A-B15A-454D64518206.jpeg
Views:	160
Size:	281.0 KB
ID:	40926   Click image for larger version

Name:	70489A1D-264A-42B4-AD02-6F1A3176D7B2.jpeg
Views:	138
Size:	559.3 KB
ID:	40927   Click image for larger version

Name:	7FDDAFE5-FA67-4A20-B91A-A42A599B7EDE.jpeg
Views:	166