Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 08-05-2022, 02:05 AM   #1
HouseMouse

Target Water Pressure...

So, I bought one of those Adjustable and Guaged water pressure control devices for our first Bivwack. Is there a target pressure to adjust it too or if the trailer is 2" off the ground back it down some? What do you guys do. Just don't want to blow up the pipeing.
HouseMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 02:21 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Having the trailer 2” off the ground doesn’t matter, your water pressure should be 40-45 PSI.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 02:53 AM   #3
HouseMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Having the trailer 2” off the ground doesn’t matter, your water pressure should be 40-45 PSI.
Old fireman joke.... Too much pressure on hose, just back it down some as to put the Fireman on the nozzle back down on the ground.
Old 08-05-2022, 03:59 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseMouse View Post
Old fireman joke.... Too much pressure on hose, just back it down some as to put the Fireman on the nozzle back down on the ground.
The PEX tubing used in today's RV's will easily withstand 100+ PSI. It's those "pesky china plastic fittings" that cause the problem. They may or may not withstand half that pressure. Then there's the "craftsmanship" (or lack of it) added to the plumbing system by the worker with no plumbing experience, who was installing windows yesterday, but today, the guy that does plumbing called in sick. So, whether the fittings, clamps and PEX are properly clamped as intended is questionable. Then add the acute angles that many of those plastic fittings are stressed to and the vibrations of towing a trailer, and there's very little "true relilability" as seen in a S&B house.

I'd also recommend 40-45 PSI and EVERY time you leave the campsite, turn off the water at the campground pedestal connection. I can't begin to count the number of flooded trailers with water pouring out the coroplast or when the owner returns and opens the door, the "deluge of water" that greets them. Turning off the water prevents all that.... And, yes, for me, turning off the water also means turning off the water pump when we leave a "no hookups site".... 50 gallons of water from the FW tank can do far more damage than you'd imagine, and that pressure is usually somewhere around 35-40 PSI.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 08:37 AM   #5
travelin texans

If you read the label on the regulator it states what it's preset at, mine said 55 psi.What that means is the pressure will never exceed 55 psi into my rv, that does not mean I'll have that pressure always. If the faucet only has 40 psi 40 is all you have, that regulator does not increase pressure, it only prevents over pressure. I'd recommend whatever it's preset at, leave it, that way you'll get the max faucet pressure up the that preset & not reducing already low pressures.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 09:06 AM   #6
HouseMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
If you read the label on the regulator it states what it's preset at, mine said 55 psi.What that means is the pressure will never exceed 55 psi into my rv, that does not mean I'll have that pressure always. If the faucet only has 40 psi 40 is all you have, that regulator does not increase pressure, it only prevents over pressure. I'd recommend whatever it's preset at, leave it, that way you'll get the max faucet pressure up the that preset & not reducing already low pressures.
That makes too much sense, thanks.
Old 08-06-2022, 12:10 PM   #7
Alpine Custom Upgrade

Water Pressure Regulator

Quote:
So, I bought one of those Adjustable and Guaged water pressure control devices for our first Bivwack. Is there a target pressure to adjust it too or if the trailer is 2" off the ground back it down some? What do you guys do. Just don't want to blow up the pipeing.
I installed a pressure regulator after the camper guy next door at a site we were at asked me if I had checked the faucet pressure. NO I had not. I checked it and it had 110 psi.
I installed a cheap water pressure regulator I bought online. It would not limit the pressure to what I set it to at and it let the pressure creep up to full line pressure no matter what else I tried. I finally permanently installed a Watts pressure regulator and it works well. It has never let the pressure creep up.
I also moved the water supply connection to the outside while was at it and also ran a water line to the curb sided and put a faucet there for the dog's pool.
2012 Freightliner M2 112 2L Conversions
450HP Detroit DD13 1,650 torque,
Allison 4000 automatic, 4.30 gear
Alpine Custom Upgrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 12:29 PM   #8
Alpine Custom Upgrade

Regulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine Custom Upgrade View Post
I installed a pressure regulator after the camper guy next door at a site we were at asked me if I had checked the faucet pressure. NO I had not. I checked it and it had 110 psi.
I installed a cheap water pressure regulator I bought online. It would not limit the pressure to what I set it to at and it let the pressure creep up to full line pressure no matter what else I tried. I finally permanently installed a Watts pressure regulator and it works well. It has never let the pressure creep up.
I also moved the water supply connection to the outside while was at it and also ran a water line to the curb sided and put a faucet there for the dog's pool.

Some photos of the permanentlly installed regulator and the water supply connection.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5050.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	165.5 KB
ID:	40996

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5051.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	475.3 KB
ID:	40997
Old 08-06-2022, 02:11 PM   #9
travelin texans

Quote:
Some photos of the permanentlly installed regulator and the water supply connection.Attachment 40996

Attachment 40997
Nice install!
The issue I see with this setup is what about your supply hose? I doubt it's rated for 100 psi, how do you protect it?
Replacement undetermined
Old 08-06-2022, 02:15 PM   #10
dutchmensport

Quote:
,,,What do you guys do. ,,,

Here is the simplest thing you can do to never have over-pressure water problems: simply fill your fresh water tank and use your on-board water pump. Once the fresh water tank is full, turn the shore water spiggot off. Problem solved. You will never have over-pressure woes.

Even when we have full hook up sites, (like we are on right now), I fill the fresh water tank and then shut the shore water spigot off. We always pump water from the fresh water tank with the on-board water pump. There are many moe reasons why we do it this way, but the possibility of over-water-pressure from shore water is definitely one of those reasons why.
Old 08-06-2022, 03:28 PM   #11
Alpine Custom Upgrade

Hose Rating

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Nice install!
The issue I see with this setup is what about your supply hose? I doubt it's rated for 100 psi, how do you protect it?
I don't protect it. I carry more than one hose but have never needed them. Even the cheapest hose at Lowes is rated for 180#. The hose we use is rated for 200# on their website. Some are rated for over 400# but I highly doubt that house would actually hold that pressure continuously. If and when I ever have a hose burst from over pressure, we will just fill the fresh tank and pump our water. Good question, though!
Old 08-22-2022, 06:33 PM   #12
Mikelff

Quote:
I have an adjustable pressure regulator with a gauge. Actually, I have two. I have been in some parks with high water pressure and have been reminded to use a good regulator. I put mine at the spigot, then use my second, which is strictly a water pressure gauge (not a regulator) to check psi coming out of the regulator itself. Then I adjust the regulator to the pressure i want, usually about 46-47 psi. This way I know for sure what pressure is going to the 5er. I have also replaced the water pump on my rig with an adjustable psi Water pump, which is set at 47 psi. There have been parks with low pressure, about 39 psi. I fill my fresh tank and use on board water pump when I want decent water pressure. As recommended by others, turn off the water pump, and water at spigot if leaving for any length of time. I have had RV techs tell me NEVER go over 50 psi or you could blow a fitting. Its the cheap china bomb fittings that will give way before the pex hoses. Happy Camping!
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 06:49 PM   #13
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelff View Post
I have an adjustable pressure regulator with a gauge. Actually, I have two. I have been in some parks with high water pressure and have been reminded to use a good regulator. I put mine at the spigot, then use my second, which is strictly a water pressure gauge (not a regulator) to check psi coming out of the regulator itself. Then I adjust the regulator to the pressure i want, usually about 46-47 psi. This way I know for sure what pressure is going to the 5er. I have also replaced the water pump on my rig with an adjustable psi Water pump, which is set at 47 psi. There have been parks with low pressure, about 39 psi. I fill my fresh tank and use on board water pump when I want decent water pressure. As recommended by others, turn off the water pump, and water at spigot if leaving for any length of time. I have had RV techs tell me NEVER go over 50 psi or you could blow a fitting. Its the cheap china bomb fittings that will give way before the pex hoses. Happy Camping!
What brand regulator are you using? Every water or air regulator that I've ever seen has a gauge that's connected to the regulated side that indicates the regulated (output) pressure.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 08:13 PM   #14
travelin texans

Set your regulator to your desired pressure, say 47 psi, then leave it alone, no need to constantly adjust it. If the spigot your connected to is more than that 47 psi the regulator will keep it at that pressure, if it's less than your set pressure the regulator does not/will not increase pressure. If the spigot pressure is too low run the onboard pump, they're typically set at 45+/- psi.
Replacement undetermined
Old 08-23-2022, 05:29 AM   #15
ChuckS

Quote:
Some photos of the permanentlly installed regulator and the water supply connection.Attachment 40996

Attachment 40997
Curious why you wanted so many other connections inside the water compartment that could leak.. it’s a nice install but where is the water filter at?

Also what does the other small white water line run to at the T before it gets to the pressure regulator?

I also use the Watts regulator and gauge setup. Mine is located at the spigot before my water filters

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 08:58 AM   #16
travelin texans

Does that valve & other line hang down under the J wrap while traveling? If so how do you secure it, keep it up from dragging or getting torn off.
And a drinking water hose rated 200-400 psi, you're buying yours somewhere other than I am.
Replacement undetermined
Old 08-23-2022, 10:26 AM   #17
Mikelff

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
What brand regulator are you using? Every water or air regulator that I've ever seen has a gauge that's connected to the regulated side that indicates the regulated (output) pressure.
I have a Renator Brand regulator. Yes, it has a pressure gauge but I want to know max pressure from the spigot. By using a pressure gauge after the regulator hook up, i know the max pressure going to my rig. It does not allow any water flow, only measures max pressure. I will adjust the regulator to the pressure I want, then disconnect the second water pressure gauge (as it is a pressure gauge only) and hook up my filter and water lines. Once hooked up and water hose is pressurized with no water flow, it will show max pressure you set in the regulator which should show same pressure as the water pressure gauge did. If I hook up the water pressure gauge in front of the regulator it will show actual pressure at the spigot which could be 80 psi or higher. The gauge on the regulator will only show max pressure when system is fully pressurized with no water flow. Once you have water flow you will see the pressure on the regulator gauge drop to the pressure maintained with water flowing. The difference in pressure is significant, and should there be an increase in pressure at the spigot, it will not exceed your set pressure on the regulator. Max pressure with no water flow is what you want to know so you know what kind of pressure is on your pipe fittings. Usually when you set your regulator it will only require small adjustments depending on pressure at the spigot from park to park. I always ask about their water pressure when I check in. If I know its high, I am careful when I pressurize my system in case I need to turn down my regulator for proper pressure.
If you have low pressure and use your fresh tank and water pump, remember your water pump is taking water from the fresh tank, not city water, so you might need to re fill your fresh tank occasionally. Hope I explained this better.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 06:08 PM   #18
bobbecky

We use one of those blue Camco filters, which are rated at no more than 60 psi, and we have had a couple hoses fail from a combination of heat from the sun plus normal pressure. I use a Watts regulator at the hose bib followed by the filter and then the hose, and that has worked for us for quite a few years. The flex line is one designed for water heaters and I adapted it to fit water hose connections.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Watts regulator.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	206.9 KB
ID:	41357  
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, water pressure