Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-28-2022, 12:47 PM   #1
Shasta Daisy

What to do with a damaged trailer

I need help in brainstorming ideas. My trailer has damage. The interior is in great shape, but the exterior has damage. I got an estimate for repair and the majority (75%) of the repair cost is labor. I don't think I'm interested in repairing it. However I do want to make a smart decision with my next step.

I think it is a handyman’s dream; someone who has the time to do all the labor and have a nearly new interior. How do I reach my ideal buyer? Has anyone tried to trade in a trailer that needs work? I was hoping for more money than the junk yard. Does anyone have experience in these matters? Any other ideas? Thanks for your help.
Shasta Daisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 12:49 PM   #2
Bustinbeards

Hard to tell without you telling what the damage is and the extent of it.
Also pictures would be helpful for assessment.

I bought a like new water damaged trailer that I did an extensive floor replacement on due to the water damage.
Old 07-28-2022, 01:08 PM   #3
jasin1

maybe think about donating it to a boys or girls club charity,scouts who may fix it up and use it with donated parts…
Old 07-28-2022, 01:27 PM   #4
Shasta Daisy

The area of the header over the slide opening is soft. Probably has water damage and some part of it is dragging on the slide as it moves
Old 07-28-2022, 01:29 PM   #5
Shasta Daisy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
maybe think about donating it to a boys or girls club charity,scouts who may fix it up and use it with donated parts…
We love this trailer. That's a good idea to let it serve someone else.
Old 07-29-2022, 09:27 AM   #6
Shasta Daisy

These are the best pictures to show the symptom of the problem. The roof is soft above the slide, but the TPO membrane is in great condition. This is the part of the slide that drags as the slide moves in and out. Thank you for your help.
Sorry it’s taking me a minute to add the pictures
Old 07-29-2022, 09:42 AM   #7
Shasta Daisy

these photos are taken inside the trailer slide. Looking above the slide and below the ceiling
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	damage 3.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	40878   Click image for larger version

Name:	damage 1.JPG
Views:	252
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	40879   Click image for larger version

Name:	damage 2.JPG
Views:	276
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	40880   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer.JPG
Views:	260
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	40881  
Old 07-29-2022, 10:52 AM   #8
dutchmensport

I think it all depends if you have a loan on the trailer or if the trailer is completely paid for, how you should deal with it.

If completely paid for, you don't want to invest any money, and you don't want to invest any time, then you have two options. 1) Leave it as is and forget it. 2) Give it away, or sell it as cheaply as possible to get rid of it.

If you are willing to invest money and time, then you have more options. Otherwise, if it were me, I'd part company with it any way I could. However, if you have a loan on it, THAT is a totally different matter!
Old 07-30-2022, 07:16 AM   #9
Shasta Daisy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
I think it all depends if you have a loan on the trailer or if the trailer is completely paid for, how you should deal with it.

If completely paid for, you don't want to invest any money, and you don't want to invest any time, then you have two options. 1) Leave it as is and forget it. 2) Give it away, or sell it as cheaply as possible to get rid of it.

If you are willing to invest money and time, then you have more options. Otherwise, if it were me, I'd part company with it any way I could. However, if you have a loan on it, THAT is a totally different matter!
There’s no loan on it. I’ve looked into several suggestions since my original post. I was hoping for a more targeted response on where to find people who repair and keep or flip trailers. Or someone to share experience of targeting my ideal buyer on Craig’s list. Or anything else I haven’t thought about.
Old 07-30-2022, 07:29 AM   #10
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shasta Daisy View Post
There’s no loan on it. I’ve looked into several suggestions since my original post. I was hoping for a more targeted response on where to find people who repair and keep or flip trailers. Or someone to share experience of targeting my ideal buyer on Craig’s list. Or anything else I haven’t thought about.
just put it on ebay with a reserve price that your comfortable with…someone may buy it and stick it inside a carport or pole barn to use without having to fix it…migrant worker sleeping maybe
Old 07-31-2022, 04:58 PM   #11
Shasta Daisy

Quote:
just put it on ebay with a reserve price that your comfortable with…someone may buy it and stick it inside a carport or pole barn to use without having to fix it…migrant worker sleeping maybe
Thanks. That’s a good idea too.
Old 07-31-2022, 06:17 PM   #12
JBM3M

Just be honest about the issues and you will get better responses. Craigslist and MarketPlace are also options if you have accounts. I have had great luck on Criagslist for people looking for honest deals that need work. Key word again; honest

2018 Cougar 1/2 ton 28sgs,
2023 F350 SD, Crew, long bed, gooseneck puck, 5th (B&W Companion), and Class V bumper hitch. 6.7 PowerStroke.
JBM3M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 07:28 PM   #13
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBM3M View Post
Just be honest about the issues and you will get better responses. Craigslist and MarketPlace are also options if you have accounts. I have had great luck on Criagslist for people looking for honest deals that need work. Key word again; honest
Craigslist & honesty, there's an oxymoron for you!
I've only attempted selling on CL 3 times with scammers being the 1st to respond to all 3.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 05:28 PM   #14
Shasta Daisy

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
I've only attempted selling on CL 3 times with scammers being the 1st to respond to all 3.
That’s a huge part of my hesitancy. And efforts to dial in my efforts. Thanks for all the responses. I’ve got some ideas to go on.
Old 08-02-2022, 06:26 AM   #15
Camp CA

Use your insurance collision or comphensive coverage to repair. I used my collision coverage to repair $11,000 exterior damage after clipping an overhanging cliff on a narrow coastal road.
Old 08-04-2022, 11:00 AM   #16
Dallasrules

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Try Facebook marketplace. It's much better. There is someone out there that would love to have that for a decent price. I buy a lot of fixer uppers myself.
Dallasrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 11:54 AM   #17
raylinkz

Tiny home anyone?

purchased new;
12 years later, tow vehicle tire blowout caused accident- laid my 32 foot Sprinter on it's side; sold it to a migrant worker (found on CL) for 10% of used retail value.
Sold as is but all the appliance worked, interior looked very good and AC/heat was good, tires were good. He wanted to 'dicker' but I held out that I could sell the frame for about what I was asking for a 'livable' small home; no such thing as a 'tiny home' back then.
Found out later that he just wanted to use it as a home for his family.

So, IMHO, buy a barn/garage, put the RV in it and use it as a tiny home or spare bedroom, or sell it as is and hold fast to your price.... also cash and carry as is!

PS you'll never recoup the cost to repair major damage and you'll never be able to 'hide' that it was damaged... again this is IMHO
raylinkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 03:20 PM   #18
Gunny Mike

A close friend just recently bought a 2017 5th wheel with a salvage title with the plan of a DIY repair. Hope he didnt bite off more then he can chew. Guess there is always someone out there who wants a fix r upper with hopes of saving more then a few bucks.
Gunny Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 08:26 PM   #19
Shasta Daisy

Thanks! I’ve got some good ideas from everyone. I appreciate all the input.
Old 08-21-2022, 04:39 PM   #20
Shasta Daisy

Quote:
Thank you for the inspiration about a pole barn/ permanent roof. I advertised on craigslist and geared my ad that way. However, a handyman bought it. I was honest and let him take his time inspecting it. He seems happy and I slept well last night.

Tags
damage