Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 07-26-2022, 02:49 PM   #1
MikeSmith

Hello all

Hello my name is Mike. Just purchased a Cougar 277RLS to live in during my relocation for work in Washington state. Purchased from a family member, which delivered it to the RV park and helped set it up. Now for the thrills of purchasing a vehicle to pull it with when I purchase land and start to build a house. I have never owned much less lived in an RV so this is all me to me.
MikeSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 03:11 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Welcome to the forum Mike, congrats on the new to you trailer and good luck on your relocation.

When ready to discuss a tow vehicle just post a question in the towing or tow vehicle sections. Now is the time to do your due diligence on that tow truck and get the numbers right to assure it is a capable vehicle for your new trailer. I would encourage you to disregard anything a vehicle salesman tells you; they have no idea about towing an RV but will spout out a lot of useless "sales" numbers that only get you into trouble pulling a large RV. Good luck and fire away with questions when you're ready.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 03:16 PM   #3
bsmith0404

Sounds like some fun days of learning are in your future. You’ll be fine, ask as many questions as you need to. For now, I’d recommend starting with some YouTube videos put out by full timers, there’s many available, some better than others.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 03:21 PM   #4
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSmith View Post
Hello my name is Mike. Just purchased a Cougar 277RLS to live in during my relocation for work in Washington state. Purchased from a family member, which delivered it to the RV park and helped set it up. Now for the thrills of purchasing a vehicle to pull it with when I purchase land and start to build a house. I have never owned much less lived in an RV so this is all me to me.
Mike to get an idea of what type tow vehicle you will need, keep in mind FIRST that the term "half ton towable" is pretty much a joke. Your camper is NOT towable with a 1/2 ton truck. Second, with a 10K gross weight, there will be about 23 percent of it on the pin. Figure 2300 lbs pin weight. Add your weight and any passengers in the truck plus the weight of the hitch and you will be close to 3000 pounds payload.

When shopping, open the driver door. There will be a yellow/white placard that tire inflation info but will also tell you the MAX payload your truck can safely handle. Keep in mind only SOME 3/4 ton trucks have 3000 lbs payload; many do not. My sisters Ram 2500 has just over 2000 lbs payload. Not very safe for 5th wheels. You will likely be looking for a 3/4 ton that does have over 3000 lbs payload or a one ton.

Heavy duty trucks are in short supply either new or used; new because of the chip shortage and slow manufacture due Covid (or whatever) and used because the new trucks are hard to find. Prices are WAY up on both new and used when you can find them so patience is the key when shopping. Good luck.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 04:38 PM   #5
Canonman

Welcome Mike!
Get ready to pull out the old "BuckZooka". And, hopefully you have plenty of "AMMO" because you're going to need it when you start looking for that new Tow Vehicle
1 ton is the only way to go when you're ready. 3500 or 350, new or used your choice but all are getting way too expen$ive for this old boy.
Again, to the forum and good luck With the new job, new house and of course the new truck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_1547.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	393.1 KB
ID:	40851  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 03:43 AM   #6
Camping family

Welcome and enjoy. If planing on buying a new truck be prepared for a wait once ordered. It took 8 months to get my new f350 in.
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 06:27 AM   #7
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping family View Post
Welcome and enjoy. If planing on buying a new truck be prepared for a wait once ordered. It took 8 months to get my new f350 in.
As I recall, someone mention Ford isn't taking orders for one ton trucks currently.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 06:51 AM   #8
dutchmensport

Congrats on acquiring your Cougar. You are not alone. Feel free to ask questions, seek advise on help, and share your experiences on these forums. Every one of us on here was brand new to RVing also. We all learned by mistakes, blunders, accidents, bad advise, as well as all our successes too.

The most important thing any RV owner can do is do not procrastinate when an issue arises on your camper. Deal with it immediately and get it fixed as fast as possible. Be diligent in cleanliness (inside and out, roof and underbelly). Doing so will keep you keenly aware of items that are beginning to fail, or have failed and you just didn't see it yet. Thorough inspections frequently are an absolute must and the number 1 item you can do to keep your camper is great shape. They do demand attention otherwise they sink down hill, real fast.

That, my friend, is the best advise I can share with a new RV owner!

Happy camping and enjoy the good times! Camping and the RV lifestyle is great! And it only gets better!
Old 07-27-2022, 07:18 AM   #9
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSmith View Post
Things got sort of focused on a tow vehichle. Hopefully the family member you purchased from gave you some "operation instructions" but I'll give you some pointers to start.

Things that get new RVers into trouble.

Holding tanks - Never, ever leave the dump valves open. Water in the black tank BEFORE you use it is your freind. It takes water to keep solids from accumulating on the bottom of the tank and lots of water to carry it away. Use toilet paper that says "septic safe" on the lable, most of the brands are nowadays. The gray tank has solids as well. Soap residue, food particles is and hair can all adhear to the tank if valves are left open.

Electrical system - yes you do need a good battery when on shore power. DO use an EMS, DON'T use a surge protector. There are many posts on the forum explaining the difference.

Water supply - DO use a good adjustable water regulator. DON'T use the cheap plastic or metal "tube" style restriction devices. Do use a quality water filter and do check the anode rod in the water heater if so equipped. Many posts on both of these.

When you go start towing it check make and age of tires and condition of brakes and wheel bearings.

DO HAVE FUN AND ENJOY! Issues will come about and they won't be the end of the world. Ask questions and don't feel intimidated, no one will chastise or criticize you for asking.

Hope this helps get you started.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 03:37 AM   #10
spicercars

Welcome from northern MN.