Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2022, 07:30 AM   #1
HouseMouse

Aluminum, Magnesium or Zinc???

Ok, which Annode Rod should I buy for a SW12DEL Surburban Water Heater?
Just getting ready to replace everything. How about the Element? Part #'s if available please.
HouseMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 08:01 AM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

From Suburban:

Magnesium vs Aluminum Anode Rod

Oct 26th 2020

A very common question pertaining to Suburban water heaters is which anode rod to choose and why are there two? Anode rods are designed to deteriorate inside your tank rather than your tank itself deteriorating. The two different types of rods are magnesium and aluminum and below we will go over the benefits of each.

Magnesium

Magnesium anode rods are great sacrificial rods as they generate higher voltage but this in turn assists in them deteriorating faster. Magnesium rods are what also cause the rotten egg smell inside of your coach but the magnesium also has health benefits from consumption.

Aluminum

Aluminum rods will deteriorate the slowest as they are not as conductive and will help prevent the rotten egg smell inside the coach.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 09:15 AM   #3
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseMouse View Post
Ok, which Annode Rod should I buy for a SW12DEL Surburban Water Heater?
Just getting ready to replace everything. How about the Element? Part #'s if available please.
I have always used the magnesium and generally replace it once a year

Heating element https://www.etrailer.com/question-452428.html
Old 07-25-2022, 09:27 AM   #4
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
I have always used the magnesium and generally replace it once a year

Heating element https://www.etrailer.com/question-452428.html
Do you smell like a rotten egg?
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 09:37 AM   #5
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Do you smell like a rotten egg?
I thought that was Terrell Wells... but no if you don't leave water sitting in the tank for weeks on end it won't smell..
Old 07-25-2022, 09:56 AM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

For the cost I buy a two pack in the spring of the magnesium. They aren't very expensive and a whole lot cheaper than rusting out the tank and replacing it. I put a new one in and keep the second for a replacement if needed. I'm not going to risk several hundreds of dollars of a WH replacement for 2 anode rods that coat less than a 12 pack of beer. JMO, YMMV.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 10:05 AM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

I use magnesium as well. Never had a rotten egg smell, or smell of any kind. They are quick and easy to replace, buy a 2 pack and carry a spare and replace at no more than a year. Replaced in June this year and it was about 11 mos. old - had barely started to deteriorate; replaced it anyway so I don't have to worry about it.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 10:45 AM   #8
roadglide

I have been using the same aluminum rod going on 6 years . I pull the rod and polish and clean the threads and drain the tank after trip . I’m us the water heater 5 to 6 months a year. The camper was bought new with magnesium rod it was disintegrated the first year . I would probably use magnesium full timing or neglecting the water heater like I did the first year .
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 10:52 AM   #9
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadglide View Post
I have been using the same aluminum rod going on 6 years . I pull the rod and polish and clean the threads and drain the tank after trip . I’m us the water heater 5 to 6 months a year. The camper was bought new with magnesium rod it was disintegrated the first year . I would probably use magnesium full timing or neglecting the water heater like I did the first year .
You may as well remove it and put a pipe plug in hole. The anode is a sacrificial device. If it doesn't erode it's not protecting anything. The aluminum electrodes are for extremely corrosive water where a magnesium rod erodes in a matter of a few months. A magnesium electrode that lasts one year is doing it's job.
Old 07-25-2022, 11:09 AM   #10
roadglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
You may as well remove it and put a pipe plug in hole. The anode is a sacrificial device. If it doesn't erode it's not protecting anything. The aluminum electrodes are for extremely corrosive water where a magnesium rod erodes in a matter of a few months. A magnesium electrode that lasts one year is doing it's job.
The aluminum rod is pitted and always has some calcium build up so it’s doing the job, it’s really about preventive maintenance and using water filters.
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
Old 07-25-2022, 11:19 AM   #11
flybouy
Site Team

All water contains minerals which carry electrical current unless it's distilled water. It's your WH but I wouldn't endorse using an electrode for 6 years.
Old 07-25-2022, 11:38 AM   #12
ChuckS

Magnesium anode is all I will ever use.. My SW12DEL is 9 years old now and I would like to see another 10 years or so of use..

Draining after a trip if not going to use for a while is key to preventing odors caused by stagnant water in the WH and the lines.

Also taking the time to disinfect at least once a year before first trip is a smart move in my book.. We drink the water that comes thru our RVs lines.. Coffee and such...

WH electrical element can be purchased at any Lowes or Home depot or plumbing hardware store... make SURE YOU GET the 120 volt and not 240 volt element..

the element will last many years if you keep the anode in good shape, drain the WH when not using and make sure water is in the WH before using the electric mode..

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 03:27 PM   #13
wiredgeorge

You guys leave Jerry alone! Look at the money he saves using the same anode for decades. A new tank once in awhile, maybe, but saving $$$ with the aluminum (he even polishes it?)

Gosh, has anyone ever admitted to polishing a sacraficial anode?
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 08:37 PM   #14
bobbecky

Besides, a new water heater is ONLY a little over $600 now and usually only takes a couple hours to replace. Got to save money on those anodes. https://www.dyersonline.com/suburban...er-heater.html
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 09:00 PM   #15
roadglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
You guys leave Jerry alone! Look at the money he saves using the same anode for decades. A new tank once in awhile, maybe, but saving $$$ with the aluminum (he even polishes it?)

Gosh, has anyone ever admitted to polishing a sacraficial anode?
Your comment is BS. I never thought about saving money on a rod . I pull the rod after every use it’s pitted and build up with sentiment and clean it with wire brush on a drill . I drain the tank after every its clean and no rust or tons of magnesium coming from the tank. I’m Not promoting the aluminum rod it works for me that’s all that matters. What the OP said a new tank a couple hours $600 no big deal . I have replaced one heating element looked great . I trashed it with several dry start up .
Old 07-26-2022, 05:03 AM   #16
HouseMouse

Now that I have my WH heater up and running.... Next step is to drain and replace the anode and other small items. Lots of good posts here... Now, Decisions, Decisions, Decisions.
HouseMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 08:36 AM   #17
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadglide View Post
Your comment is BS. I never thought about saving money on a rod . I pull the rod after every use it’s pitted and build up with sentiment and clean it with wire brush on a drill . I drain the tank after every its clean and no rust or tons of magnesium coming from the tank. I’m Not promoting the aluminum rod it works for me that’s all that matters. What the OP said a new tank a couple hours $600 no big deal . I have replaced one heating element looked great . I trashed it with several dry start up .
I'm guessing the ones that I removed & "polished" were aluminum, didn't pay much attention, bought them usually at Walmart.
While fulltiming I pulled it once a month, drained/flushed the wh tank, brushed up or replaced the anode, chased threads & reinstalled the whatever anode type it was. I also had a spare rod, heating element, which was never needed & both AC & DC thermostats. That last 5th wheel was 6 years old & replaced the rod once, never had to change the element, but did have to change both thermostats due to the wires shorting out between the plastic cover & the tank.
I had a sediment cartridge filter on the hose going into a water softener followed by a charcoal cartridge filter every time we were connected to water, which IMO saved the anode rod, the heating element & the wh tank. This setup also provided great tasting tap water & crystal clear ice cubes from the ice maker everywhere we connected.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 08:45 AM   #18
dutchmensport

I've had my Montana High Country over 4 years now and never replaced the original anode rod. My tank does not smell either. I guess it's aluminum.
Old 07-26-2022, 08:48 AM   #19
ChuckS

Nothing wrong with using the Aluminum anode if the water hardness warrants its use.. that why the option exists.

For 95% of owners with suburban WH the magnesium anode is the better choice because they are moving around to various locations with ever changing water conditions

The biggest problem is probably 90% or better don’t even know if their water heater require an anode.. and if it does they don’t ever remove it to clean the sediment out .. shortens the life of the tank liner, heating element l etc

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 01:13 PM   #20
Ed Beard

I'm ordering a two pack and the cleaning wand from Amazon. My camper is two years old, I don't know if it was ever replaced.
Cedar Park, Tx
Ed Beard is offline   Reply With Quote