Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 08-02-2022, 12:27 PM   #21
KarenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
Do you have a "smart" phone? Use it.
Get unlimited data (if you don't already have it) and just tether your computer/laptop to the phone via USB to USB cable, then just use it as usual.

That's what I did on my recent 6 week trip. As long as you can get a cell signal it works just fine. I surfed the net, researched attractions and made reservations, paid utility bills for home, checked email, checked bank accounts and did all of the other normal internet useage. You could even set up a bluetooth/wireless printer if you needed it. Also, a USB to HDMI cable would allow TV useage thru your cell phone. Most (if not all) newer TV's have HDMI input.

A cable will cost 15-20 bucks. There is no extra "hotspsot" charge, no fancy equipment to buy and set up. It just works. And, as I understand it and have been told, no extra worries about security because your cell line is yours alone. If you use your phone for internet use at home with no worries you shouldn't need to worry about using it in some park somewhere.
This is also what I have done for years. I tether my laptop to my last 2 phones (Lg and samsung) and hdmi to my tv. I have used this at our cabin, at campgrounds, and at home when our HughesNet (old service) or Xfinity (current service) is slow or out. No extra fees using my unlimited data from our phone plan. The internet is spotty at our cabin even with a cell roof ant. and inside booster but works early or late in the day.
Past
2006 Springdale 280 FWIKL-GL
1997 Jayco 253
KarenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 06:10 AM   #22
Kzneft

Get the Starlink RV. Got mine a few months ago, and it is awesome! Uses very little power and I get 100+mbps downloads, plus I can have a number of others logged into my wifi and still watch streaming videos. Nice thing is when winter comes I can just postpone until spring and save money when not using it. Another nice thing is when my local internet goes down at home, I can just set up my Starlink and be back online.
Kzneft is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground, wifi