Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2022, 09:11 AM   #1
Cid Itad

Moving over from Forest River

Current owner of a Surveyor Legend 19BHLE which is a great little package, but realized we need more space so planning to upgrade to a Cougar 22MLS in the near future. TV is a Durango with 5.7 Hemi.

Been enjoying the great support from the FR forum folks and looking forward to building new friendships here.
Cid Itad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 10:48 AM   #2
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cid Itad View Post
Current owner of a Surveyor Legend 19BHLE which is a great little package, but realized we need more space so planning to upgrade to a Cougar 22MLS in the near future. TV is a Durango with 5.7 Hemi.

Been enjoying the great support from the FR forum folks and looking forward to building new friendships here.
I owned a Forest River toy hauler prior to my last trailer and found the FR forum pretty helpful. I think you will find this forum even more helpful. Start things right and add a signature (under UserCP) with year, make and model of camper & tow vehicle. This will help folks answer future questions with some context.

Saw your FR was a bunk house. Are you planning on camping with kids with the new trailer?
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 10:53 AM   #3
travelin texans

Quote:

Might want to check the payload on the drivers door jamb of your Durango, it's the yellow/white tag that states "occupants & cargo must not exceed XXXXlbs"! That Cougar is right 27' long, a GVWR of 7400lbs which equals a 900+lb tongue weight. That's 900+lbs tongue weight + 100+/-lbs for the mandatory WDH with sway control + everyone everything in or on the Durango. Most SUVs are great people movers but typically lack the payload for much in the way of trailer towing.
Yes your Durango with the Hemi can "pull/tow" that rv with ease, but the safety issue is can it safely "carry" the weight of that rv.
Not trying to rain on your parade! Just giving advice on the correct numbers for the safety of you & yours along with the rest of us out on the highways with you.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 11:53 AM   #4
CedarCreekWoody

Welcome to the forum. Several of us are former Forest River owners, and dual posters.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 12:16 PM   #5
Roper46

Welcome to the forum from south Georgia and congrats on your Cougar.
6.7L I6 CTD with Air Suspension
6 Speed Automatic 68RFE Transmission
Roper46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 11:42 AM   #6
Cid Itad

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
I owned a Forest River toy hauler prior to my last trailer and found the FR forum pretty helpful. I think you will find this forum even more helpful. Start things right and add a signature (under UserCP) with year, make and model of camper & tow vehicle. This will help folks answer future questions with some context.

Saw your FR was a bunk house. Are you planning on camping with kids with the new trailer?
The boys are older now so it's just DW and 3 cats. The cats are why we're looking at the 22MLS - plenty of space if we opt for the table/chairs instead of dinette.
Old 07-24-2022, 11:47 AM   #7
Cid Itad

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Might want to check the payload on the drivers door jamb of your Durango, it's the yellow/white tag that states "occupants & cargo must not exceed XXXXlbs"! That Cougar is right 27' long, a GVWR of 7400lbs which equals a 900+lb tongue weight. That's 900+lbs tongue weight + 100+/-lbs for the mandatory WDH with sway control + everyone everything in or on the Durango. Most SUVs are great people movers but typically lack the payload for much in the way of trailer towing.
Yes your Durango with the Hemi can "pull/tow" that rv with ease, but the safety issue is can it safely "carry" the weight of that rv.
Not trying to rain on your parade! Just giving advice on the correct numbers for the safety of you & yours along with the rest of us out on the highways with you.
I agree and is why I've been reading up on whether it's actually OK. Seems Durango and Grand Cherokee owners have no issues with the tongue weight or GVWR. Newer Durangos with Tow Package is rated at 8700lbs and older ones at 7200lbs. I plan to get a tongue scale to make sure it's inside the TV tongue rating. We don't load the TT up - consumables like food and drinks are mostly purchased at destination and fresh water tank is usually 1/3 full only - we don't boondock so it's really more for roadside hand washing.
Old 07-24-2022, 02:56 PM   #8
wiredgeorge

Quote:
The boys are older now so it's just DW and 3 cats. The cats are why we're looking at the 22MLS - plenty of space if we opt for the table/chairs instead of dinette.
My sister and BIL bought a new very expensive Class C about a year ago with very nice leather seats and interior. Not pleather. They brought two cats and three dogs with them from Tennessee when they moved to Texas and the cats shredded the leather. Fortunately, our cats on attack rolls of toilet paper if we forget to keep it out of their clutches. Good luck with your new camper!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 06:21 PM   #9
travelin texans

Quote:
I agree and is why I've been reading up on whether it's actually OK. Seems Durango and Grand Cherokee owners have no issues with the tongue weight or GVWR. Newer Durangos with Tow Package is rated at 8700lbs and older ones at 7200lbs. I plan to get a tongue scale to make sure it's inside the TV tongue rating. We don't load the TT up - consumables like food and drinks are mostly purchased at destination and fresh water tank is usually 1/3 full only - we don't boondock so it's really more for roadside hand washing.
Just so you understand those max tow ratings for vehicles doesn't really apply to rvs. Nor does the dry weight for rvs when calculating weights.
Those numbers were derived by the manufacturer toeing low profile utility type trailers where the load could/was positioned directly over the axles thereby considerably reducing tongue tongue weights which you are unable to do with a rv.
The individual tow vehicle payload & the average percentage (13% for TTs, 23% for 5th wheels) of the particular rv GVWR for tongue weights are the numbers you need for appropriate rv to tow vehicle calculations.
Replacement undetermined
Old 07-24-2022, 06:25 PM   #10
travelin texans

Quote:
Just so you understand those max tow ratings for vehicles doesn't really apply to rvs.
Those numbers were derived by the manufacturer towing low profile utility type trailers where the load could/was positioned directly over the axles thereby considerably reducing tongue weights which you are unable to do with a rv.
The individual tow vehicle payload & the average percentage (13% for TTs, 23% for 5th wheels) of the particular rv GVWR for tongue weights are the numbers you need for appropriate rv to tow vehicle calculations.
As an example that 8700lb trailer that is says its capable of towing in the rv form will have a tongue weight of 1100+lbs.
The dry weight of rvs are also a useless number once that rv arrived at the dealer.
From my experience, fairly sure others will agree, "we travel light, don't carry liquids, don't boondock, stay close to home" will sooner than later fall by the wayside if you use the rv regularly, stuff WILL get added that never get removed.
Replacement undetermined
Old 07-24-2022, 06:59 PM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

You would do well to study "towing" and "RV" forums vs the Durango, GC and other owner "fan" clubs. I've been on, and belong to, many. The "owner" forums have many/most members that are happy if the can "pull" an RV; they have no idea nor have they investigated towing abilities as related to weights. I've owned a Durango and 2 Grand Cherokees at least. At the time, not caring or investigating weights, you could say they were a "tow vehicle". Now, in hindsight, and having tried to pull with one, they just aren't up to the job of safely pulling a fairly large trailer. Wheelbase; gvw of the TV; suspension etc. - they all pose a problem for towing an RV.

In my experience, and most others I'm sure, the larger the trailer gets the more stuff you carry. First trip you forgot or did without "something"; next trip you add it. That continues over and over. I don't know that I know anyone that doesn't do that. Just keep those things in mind.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 03:30 AM   #12
spicercars

Welcome from northern MN.
Old 07-29-2022, 06:05 AM   #13
dutchmensport

Welcome to the forums and hope you have great success and many happy miles of traveling ahead of you! I hope your Cougar decision turns out to be all YOU hope it will be! Happy Camping!
Old 08-08-2022, 05:06 AM   #14
MarvnMabel

Good luck with Keystone

Sod my FR Sandpiper and downsized to a Cougar HT 25RES (2020) which is a similar outfit. Loved the OTG offerings and fresh water capacity as we boondock 100%. Made them buy it back after the first season. It was a disaster. Back to FR Arctic Wolf and upgraded with all the solar that Keystone offered: Happy Campers again!
MarvnMabel is offline   Reply With Quote