Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2022, 04:17 PM   #1
Bustinbeards

Westinghouse 4500Dfc

Anyone have this particular inverter generator? If so what is your opinion? Are you happy with your purchase any Negatives or positives?
Bustinbeards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 03:48 AM   #2
notanlines

Lots of reviews right here. https://www.samsclub.com/p/westingho...r/prod22464754
Of course Sam's is out of stock.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 04:06 AM   #3
dutchmensport

Some forum members 100% claim the Westinghouse and the Cummins Onan P4500i are the same identical inverter generator. Some say they are even made at the same location. I've never verified that claim or personally checked into it, so that is my disclaimer.

(IF) they are truly identical, just different name brands and a different color, I will say ... the Cummins Onan P4500i is a really, really great inverter generator. It is everything it claims to be. Quiet, dependable, 3.4 gallon gas capacity and does run 18 hours on minimum load, about 15 hours on half to max load, and produces 37 amps, more than adequate for a 30 amp camper. The main breaker in your camper will pop at 30 amps before the generator does shuts down power to the camper.

On a 30 amp camper, your power source is identical to being plugged into shore power. However you manage that 30 amps on shore power is exactly how you have to manage it on the generator.

I have a 50 amp camper and I have 2 Onan's I run in Parallel. And running both in Parallel provides the full 50 amp service my camper requires. I can run absolutely everything in my camper exactly the same as plugged into shore 50 amp power.

The generator does weigh 106 pounds dry and empty. Add 3.4 gallons of fuel and oil and it has a little weight. I carry mine inside the camper and I use truck bed or utility trailer ramps to get it the door or even into the bed of my pick up truck and I cannot lift 106 pounds alone any more.

I am the first to toot the Cummins Onan P4500i horn with full blown train horns and semi truck horns (in parallel ... get the pun!)

So, if indeed the Westinghouse truly is "identical" except about a $400 less price, then it's also a good, very good generator too.

In my opinion, the original of any product is always the best. Cummins was the first to come out with the P4500i style. Copy cat versions are often just that, "copy cat." And even though it might not be obvious, when "copy cats" come along, they find ways to make the same product but often attempt to make improvements that end up being failures or inferior materials. Between the Cummins and the Westinghouse ... I don't know. But, for my own peace of mind, I'm still glad I selected the Cummins. Also, at the time I purchased it, Westinghouse did not have the copy-cat yet.

Onan's are not cheap. But they sure are good. If Westinghouse TRULY is identical, then it's also a darn good one too, just $400 cheaper. It's good you are doing your Due-Diligence research now so there are no disappointments in the future.
Old 07-15-2022, 04:28 AM   #4
dutchmensport

Hi, me again.

I just did a quick internet search on both generators and I find it interesting that there is only about a $100 - $200 difference in price between the two now.

Lowe's has the Westinghouse priced at $999, $1099 and $1199 depending on your location.

The Onan is priced $1267 everywhere.

Another thing to consider between the two is availability, where you purchase it from (accessibility), and customer service if you have a problem with it.

Good luck in your search. Hope someone else chimes in who actually has the Westinghouse version so they can toot their horns too!