Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2022, 10:32 AM   #1
Tom-67X

Tow Vehicle Cooling Fan Issue?

Gents- and Ladies...

Curious if someone might help me diagnose this. TV is a 2017 F250 6.7, in case it matters.

I'm around Phoenix AZ, it's hot. That's important for what's next in my symptoms:
1. Only when using (or just after using) my AC, the cooling (radiator) fan runs like a jet ready for takeoff.
2. this is MOSTLY when the engine is "cold", but also there- just less so- when warmed up.
3. only winds up when I hit the pedal, not at idle.
4. AC works fine, no engine overheating, no codes are thrown.

Was thinking...could be a sensor...could be an overcharged AC system...but really not 100%. I'm pretty good mechanically, but not great with AC systems or electrical. If a sensor...which one?

Anyone ever run into similar and find what was causing this? I've searched the web, but not a lot of info found yet.
Thanks all-
Tom-67X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 10:35 AM   #2
bsmith0404

Is it an electric or clutch fan?

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 11:08 AM   #3
Hblick48

Doesn't sound right. The only time my 6.0 sounded like that was when the engine coolant temp went over 218 degrees. Haven't had my 6.7 long enough to know how it acts.

Better joining and posting this question on https://www.powerstroke.org/. You'll get an answer almost immediately.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 12:05 PM   #4
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-67X View Post
Gents- and Ladies...

Curious if someone might help me diagnose this. TV is a 2017 F250 6.7, in case it matters.

I'm around Phoenix AZ, it's hot. That's important for what's next in my symptoms:
1. Only when using (or just after using) my AC, the cooling (radiator) fan runs like a jet ready for takeoff.
2. this is MOSTLY when the engine is "cold", but also there- just less so- when warmed up.
3. only winds up when I hit the pedal, not at idle.
4. AC works fine, no engine overheating, no codes are thrown.

Was thinking...could be a sensor...could be an overcharged AC system...but really not 100%. I'm pretty good mechanically, but not great with AC systems or electrical. If a sensor...which one?

Anyone ever run into similar and find what was causing this? I've searched the web, but not a lot of info found yet.
Thanks all-

i’m thinking it has to do with the air conditioning condenser coil being hot/ high head pressure …have you tried cleaning the condenser coil with a hose? maybe it’s clogged with dirt ..when you accelerate it probably initially raises the head pressure and compounds the problem.

also wonder if you have it in tow haul mode if the fan runs higher
Old 07-09-2022, 12:10 PM   #5
meaz93*

Well I can tell you that....THANK GOODNESS my 2021 F250 has a manual clutch fan and I'm towing in the scorching Arizona heat pulling a measly 9500-10k 38' TT, with no noise no fuss!
Now my 14` F150 Ecoboost had the screaming electric fans...but I added a manual switch pigtail /tapped into the OEM fans so I could control them!
I would get a scanner and see if their are any codes thrown. Most times the truck won't give you a visual fault code but store it . Kind of sounds like a faulty thermostat and or purging some air from the system.
At least your not overheating and the AC is still pumping cold![emoji6]
meaz93* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 01:46 PM   #6
jasin1

found this …might be something
Old 07-09-2022, 03:09 PM   #7
HouseMouse

Mine does the same thing.... stone cold after sitting for a week or two and the fan goes nuclear (Sounds like a Jet engine). Levels off after a few minutes and runs fine. Think the computer is searching and evaluating. Not a problem. "if" my memory serves me here.... When we were in another State and it was -24F, the Fan would also do the same thing. Again, normal in my opinion.
HouseMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 10:53 AM   #8
Tom-67X

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
Is it an electric or clutch fan?
Clutch...

And thank you all- searching this one out- and very much appreciate responses and video!

Quick update...I checked the pressure with a very basic gauge, like you'd use to add a can of refrigerant, not a high quality set. It read ok (mid-way in the "safe zone"), so it was not at the upper end of the safe zone while idling and the AC was on high cool.

But funny thing...it suddenly acted normal afterward...now I'm not about to just let myself think checking the system pressure and possibly losing a tiny bit of pressure just from hooking up the gauge and removing it did the trick (though I checked it 3x to ensure consistency).

Again- huge thanks to all. I'm on Ford forums too, but have been mostly doing my due diligence first in case it's been answered, not a lot of luck yet.
Old 07-10-2022, 10:54 AM   #9
Tom-67X

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaz93* View Post
Well I can tell you that....THANK GOODNESS my 2021 F250 has a manual clutch fan and I'm towing in the scorching Arizona heat pulling a measly 9500-10k 38' TT, with no noise no fuss!
Now my 14` F150 Ecoboost had the screaming electric fans...but I added a manual switch pigtail /tapped into the OEM fans so I could control them!
I would get a scanner and see if their are any codes thrown. Most times the truck won't give you a visual fault code but store it . Kind of sounds like a faulty thermostat and or purging some air from the system.
At least your not overheating and the AC is still pumping cold![emoji6]
Yes!! Thanks- was considering exactly what you described as well- manual.
Old 07-25-2022, 04:59 AM   #10
hawghauler

The clutch is fluid filled on cold mornings it makes noise until the fluid comes up to operating temp

In hot weather / driving conditions the fluid will expand locking up the clutch pulling more air through the cooling stack to decrease ECT
hawghauler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, tow vehicle