Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2022, 07:41 AM   #1
scm

Cougar 24SABWE front vent opening

Purchased a 2021 Cougar 24SABWE this spring and have two questions. Rather than tear things open for a "look see" I'm hoping someone has info on these.

1) Is the front vent wired for a max fan?
2) I'm adding the Xantrex remote panel to the invertor. Is it difficult to drop the driver side of the underbelly to route the wire back and through the floor to the kitchen cabinet?

Thanks, and looking forward to gleaning from and contributing to the topics.
scm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 08:43 AM   #2
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm View Post
Purchased a 2021 Cougar 24SABWE this spring and have two questions. Rather than tear things open for a "look see" I'm hoping someone has info on these.

2) I'm adding the Xantrex remote panel to the invertor. Is it difficult to drop the driver side of the underbelly to route the wire back and through the floor to the kitchen cabinet?

Not familiar with your particular model, but unless you have a residential fridge or you or the previous owner added it you don't/won't have an inverter (12 volt to 120 volt), you'll have a converter (120 volt to 12 volt + battery charging).
If you rv is 30 amp then most likely that vent will not.be pre-wired for a 2nd A /C. If yours is 50 amp then there's a 50/50 chance depending on the time of day, which day of the week &/or the mood of whichever guy was running wires that day.
Edit! Just reread & you said Maxx Fan not A/C! There should adequate 12 volt for that! Sorry!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 09:13 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

If the front vent has a label saying prewired for AC then odds are there is both 120VAC and 12VDC at the vent. If not you should be able to pull power from the ceiling light circuit.

If the underbelly is held in with screws, it’s a piece of cake. If it’s held in with nails, you can pull the nail out, or grind the head off and put stainless steel self tapping screws back in.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 11:30 AM   #4
scm

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Not familiar with your particular model, but unless you have a residential fridge or you or the previous owner added it you don't/won't have an inverter (12 volt to 120 volt), you'll have a converter (120 volt to 12 volt + battery charging).
If you rv is 30 amp then most likely that vent will not.be pre-wired for a 2nd A /C. If yours is 50 amp then there's a 50/50 chance depending on the time of day, which day of the week &/or the mood of whichever guy was running wires that day.
Edit! Just reread & you said Maxx Fan not A/C! There should adequate 12 volt for that! Sorry!
Thanks for the info.
I do have an invertor, an Xantrew Freedom 2000. It was in the trailer when purchased and looks to be factory installed. Adding the remote since the invertor is mounted to the top of the storage area making it impossible to see the display.
scm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 01:21 PM   #5
Canonman

I pulled "non-switched" 12vdc power from the bathroom fan to power the fan I installed in the bedroom area. I'm guessing that's the location you mean by front.
Removing the coroplast from the bottom of the trailer can be a pain. The factory is using rivets or nails instead of screws ( Chuck or one of the guys might have a tech-trick to easier removal) and they are not as easy to get out. Once the coroplast is free on the side you can easily reattach with self tapping screws.
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 10:06 AM   #6
DonP

Quote:

I have a 2021 Cougar 26RBSWE, and am adding the remote unit. Where are you thinking of mounting the panel inside? There is only 25' of cat5 wire, I was thinking of putting mine on the wall between the kitchen area and the bedroom. Trying now to figure out if there or horizontal or cross members between the studs on that wall.

I'd like to meet the person who determined the location of the inverter because it makes NO sense at all.
Old 07-09-2022, 10:17 AM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

Inverter placement will be determined by battery placement. You need large wire from the battery to the inverter, so it’s usually close enough to use a short run of heavy wire. The further away from the battery(s) requires bigger cable.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 07-09-2022, 11:05 AM   #8
DonP

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Inverter placement will be determined by battery placement. You need large wire from the battery to the inverter, so it’s usually close enough to use a short run of heavy wire. The further away from the battery(s) requires bigger cable.
That seems logical but, on the ceiling of the front storage area, 1/3 of the way back from the door so that you have to lay on your back and scooch in to read the display is way stupid. The remote unit is $100.00 and a breeze to wire when the rest of the wiring was done. I for one would not have noticed $100 added to over $45000.
Old 07-09-2022, 11:58 AM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonP View Post
That seems logical but, on the ceiling of the front storage area, 1/3 of the way back from the door so that you have to lay on your back and scooch in to read the display is way stupid. The remote unit is $100.00 and a breeze to wire when the rest of the wiring was done. I for one would not have noticed $100 added to over $45000.
I agree but when your trying to push units out the factory door, and it takes an extra 30 minutes for each one it makes it meeting quota difficult.

Old 07-10-2022, 06:31 PM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
You wouldn't mind an extra $100 for what YOU want but it's not built for you. The camper is built with the average buyer in mind. If they added an extra $100 for everything that folks say "I would pay extra" the trailer would likely cost several thousands more. Then the competition would have a "lower price point" advantage for not adding all those things that the average buyer isn't even aware of.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 07:55 PM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
I have a 2021 Cougar 26RBSWE, and am adding the remote unit. Where are you thinking of mounting the panel inside? There is only 25' of cat5 wire, I was thinking of putting mine on the wall between the kitchen area and the bedroom. Trying now to figure out if there or horizontal or cross members between the studs on that wall.

I'd like to meet the person who determined the location of the inverter because it makes NO sense at all.

RVs come in all shapes, sizes and configurations. Their construction and placement varies from RV to RV, brand to brand, model to model. If the location of the inverter was a "must" that should have been looked at prior to purchase vs just thinking it makes no sense to you. If not, don't buy it. If you did buy it....you bought it then you have to deal with it. If a manufacturer tried to build RVs with every little quirk every person wanted 1) they would be unaffordable and 2) most people wouldn't buy them....except the "one".
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 01:35 PM   #12
sledz

I have he same 2022 model and every screw that holds the plastic underbelly has broken off when unscrewing them so be prepared for that! I was trying to find out why the water pump vibrates so much. I stopped after the 3rd one broke off..
The front vent area has 110v run to the extra inverter area I do not know if 12v is up there. My plan is to use the Bluetooth version once I feel I need it.
Personally yea it would be nice to have some of this done but that's what's nice about an RV is customizing some of it to your liking.
sledz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 04:30 PM   #13
Bandit12

Quote:
Thanks for the info.
I do have an invertor, an Xantrew Freedom 2000. It was in the trailer when purchased and looks to be factory installed. Adding the remote since the invertor is mounted to the top of the storage area making it impossible to see the display.
We have a 2021 27SABWE, very similar to your 24SABWE. In fact, when I asked, I was told Keystone stopped production of the 27 and decided to produce only the 24SAB model, but I digress.

We also have a Xantrex inverter installed from the factory in the exact same location as yours. I also decided to install the remote panel but since the inverter is directly under the nightstand on the drivers side of the trailer, and I never put much of anything inside that nightstand, I decided to drill a hole from the storage compartment into the nightstand area, run the cable into there, built a small wooden frame to mount the panel in and just set the panel and all the excess cable inside the nightstand. I wasn't to keen on the idea of cutting a square opening in the trailer to mount the panel and having to figure out how to run the wiring and keep it all neat.
Bandit12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 12:14 PM   #14
DonP

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit12 View Post
We have a 2021 27SABWE, very similar to your 24SABWE. In fact, when I asked, I was told Keystone stopped production of the 27 and decided to produce only the 24SAB model, but I digress.

We also have a Xantrex inverter installed from the factory in the exact same location as yours. I also decided to install the remote panel but since the inverter is directly under the nightstand on the drivers side of the trailer, and I never put much of anything inside that nightstand, I decided to drill a hole from the storage compartment into the nightstand area, run the cable into there, built a small wooden frame to mount the panel in and just set the panel and all the excess cable inside the nightstand. I wasn't to keen on the idea of cutting a square opening in the trailer to mount the panel and having to figure out how to run the wiring and keep it all neat.
Your truck is even similar to mine, I'm red, looks like your burgundy and I just have a cover on the bed.

So, your idea was soooo great I can't figure out how I didn't think of it. This is what I'm going to do also. Two things IMO that nightstand is really useless, and why is heaven's name would you mount the inverter the way they did? Thanks for the idea.

Tags
cougar, vent