Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 07-05-2022, 05:40 PM   #1
GeoJoe

Talking I was shopping for an RV & wife won a Keystone from the Red Cross. Go donate blood!

I usually don't believe in true luck. I always thought you made your own luck.

We've worked hard, bought a piece of land to escape to and I've been shopping for an RV for a while. Most are too old, too musty and too expensive for what you get.

The other night my wife says a guy from the American Red Cross called to tell her she won an RV. Yeah right. It's gotta be a scam.

The next night he called again - and sure enough she's actually won a Keystone Hideout 262BH! Turns out she was automatically entered in a contest for a RV Camper the last time she gave blood. She donates a few times a year at our local school.

1 out of 400,000 entries. Unbelievable luck.

It's being prepped and delivered in the coming weeks - can't wait!

Lots to learn and glad to see there's a community here to be a part of.

Now I figure I need to go give a pint or two. Thanks Red Cross!
Old 07-05-2022, 05:50 PM   #2
bsmith0404

Congrats. The 262 is a nice little trailer. I wish I could give blood, I’m still banned from being stationed in the UK back in the mid 90s. Apparently I’m still at risk of spreading mad cow disease after 25 years.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 06:46 PM   #3
Roper46

Welcome to the forum from south Georgia and congrats on winning the new Hideout.
6.7L I6 CTD with Air Suspension
6 Speed Automatic 68RFE Transmission
Roper46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 04:01 AM   #4
Texas Steve

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
Congrats. The 262 is a nice little trailer. I wish I could give blood, I’m still banned from being stationed in the UK back in the mid 90s. Apparently I’m still at risk of spreading mad cow disease after 25 years.
I was told I had this in the late 80's also while stationed in the UK. I am fine except for the occasional urge to go out in the field and eat grass!
Texas Steve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 04:09 AM   #5
notanlines

Brent, roll up that sleeve and get to it!
https://www.va.gov/pittsburgh-health...fda-lifts-ban/
"In 2020, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) lifted a longstanding ban that prevented some 4.4 million Veterans, service members and civilians stationed in certain parts of Europe between 1980 and 1996 from donating blood. The ban was meant to prevent transmission of a deadly brain disease commonly known as “mad cow disease.” The fatal disease is believed to be acquired by consuming contaminated beef. U.S. bases at the time sourced potentially tainted beef from the United Kingdom, where the disease was first recognized in 1985.

The FDA made the change after finding there have been no reported cases of the brain disease associated with time spent on U.S. military bases in Europe."

On edit: Upon further searching it seems that the FDA might clear you to give blood but the Red Cross not so much. It is a very confusing situation:
https://www.redcrossblood.org/donate...-material.html
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 04:09 AM   #6
GeoJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Steve View Post
I was told I had this in the late 80's also while stationed in the UK. I am fine except for the occasional urge to go out in the field and eat grass!
Too funny. Hope you have plenty of pasture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roper46 View Post
Welcome to the forum from south Georgia and congrats on winning the new Hideout.
Hey thanks!

Quote:
Well you have good intentions at least.
Old 07-06-2022, 04:38 AM   #7
Texas Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
"In 2020, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) lifted a longstanding ban that prevented some 4.4 million Veterans, service members and civilians stationed in certain parts of Europe between 1980 and 1996 from donating blood. The ban was meant to prevent transmission of a deadly brain disease commonly known as “mad cow disease.” The fatal disease is believed to be acquired by consuming contaminated beef. U.S. bases at the time sourced potentially tainted beef from the United Kingdom, where the disease was first recognized in 1985.

The FDA made the change after finding there have been no reported cases of the brain disease associated with time spent on U.S. military bases in Europe."
Thanks for the info Jim!
Texas Steve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 05:34 AM   #8
Bustinbeards

Congratulations! What you gonna tow it with? I’m actually surprised it has not been asked yet. You fellas are slipping
Old 07-06-2022, 06:03 AM   #9
flybouy
Site Team

Depending on where you live you're likely going to have to pay taxes on the MSRP on the trailer. Check with your tax preparer or the state, local folks for the implications.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 06:37 AM   #10
GeoJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustinbeards View Post
Congratulations! What you gonna tow it with? I’m actually surprised it has not been asked yet. You fellas are slipping
Haha - well it seems the 5.7L V8 Tundra is not the most popular here, but this is my hauler and it's a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong bed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Depending on where you live you're likely going to have to pay taxes on the MSRP on the trailer. Check with your tax preparer or the state, local folks for the implications.
Yeah, it seems probably 30% in GA - which is about $10k I think - and coincidently about the budget I had in the first place. My tax preparer is TurboTax
Old 07-06-2022, 06:51 AM   #11
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post

They changed it, but it was in the UK from 94-98, that location/time period is still on the banned list. I just checked it last month after hearing the ban was modified/lifted.
Old 07-06-2022, 06:52 AM   #12
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoJoe View Post
Haha - well it seems the 5.7L V8 Tundra is not the most popular here, but this is my hauler and it's a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong bed.

Yeah, it seems probably 30% in GA - which is about $10k I think - and coincidently about the budget I had in the first place. My tax preparer is TurboTax
The Tundra is definitely not the most popular TV for RVs on most forums, but you should be ok with the 262. I didn’t know they made a king bed, have never seen one. Guess Toyota made that for people who buy a lot of groceries. Lol.
Old 07-06-2022, 07:17 AM   #13
GeoJoe

Quote:
The Tundra is definitely not the most popular TV for RVs on most forums, but you should be ok with the 262. I didn’t know they made a king bed, have never seen one. Guess Toyota made that for people who buy a lot of groceries. Lol.
It’s a unicorn for sure. Toyota makes a 8’ bed but it’s mostly for a work truck. This basic SR version has a bunch of stuff added on. Lift, air suspension, wheels, tires and interior upgrades too.
GeoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 07:50 AM   #14
hankpage
Site Team

Welcome to the family and congrats on your good fortune. I hope your wife will let you use her trailer.
I think you will be fine with the tundra as long as you load light and right. You may have to change tires and leave the pooch home. Enjoy, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 08:11 AM   #15
GeoJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
Welcome to the family and congrats on your good fortune. I hope your wife will let you use her trailer.
I think you will be fine with the tundra as long as you load light and right. You may have to change tires and leave the pooch home. Enjoy, Hank
Yes, this is totally her trailer and the dog and I will thank her every time. I’m not planning on hauling it around the country too much. For now I’ll park it and enjoy our woods.
Old 07-06-2022, 01:40 PM   #16
notanlines

Upon further searching it seems that the FDA might clear you to give blood but the Red Cross not so much. It is a very confusing situation:
https://www.redcrossblood.org/donate...-material.html
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 02:39 PM   #17
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Yes, this is totally her trailer and the dog and I will thank her every time. I’m not planning on hauling it around the country too much. For now I’ll park it and enjoy our woods.
Couple things... That trailer appears to come with "Loadstar" tires. Those tires would make me nervous and I would ask around about them. They are made by Kenda. Next, I would make some covers for the sink openings as there is no counter space to speak of and if you are a coffee drinker perhaps one of those coffee makers that hang from below a cupboard. And that pleather couch? If it isn't hiding a wheel well or impossible to remove, it would be gone in favor of some recliners. It would make TV watching a bit easier on your neck. We also have a "bath tub" no human could sit in over the age of 5 and use a Stromberg Carlson articulating show curtain rod that allows you to push the curtain away from you so it doesn't surround you like batman's cape. Last, not sure what kind of pup you have but that lower bunk would make a great dog bed.
https://www.campingworld.com/extend-...ish-44143.html
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 02:40 PM   #18
GeoJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Couple things... That trailer appears to come with "Loadstar" tires. Those tires would make me nervous and I would ask around about them. They are made by Kenda. Next, I would make some covers for the sink openings as there is no counter space to speak of and if you are a coffee drinker perhaps one of those coffee makers that hang from below a cupboard. And that pleather couch? If it isn't hiding a wheel well or impossible to remove, it would be gone in favor of some recliners. It would make TV watching a bit easier on your neck. We also have a "bath tub" no human could sit in over the age of 5 and use a Stromberg Carlson articulating show curtain rod that allows you to push the curtain away from you so it doesn't surround you like batman's cape. Last, not sure what kind of pup you have but that lower bunk would make a great dog bed.
https://www.campingworld.com/extend-...ish-44143.html
And THIS is why I joined this forum. Thanks a ton for these suggestions. Keep ‘em coming!
Old 07-06-2022, 02:48 PM   #19
wiredgeorge

Quote:
And THIS is why I joined this forum. Thanks a ton for these suggestions. Keep ‘em coming!
Use RV toilet paper and use the clean out. Use LOTS of water when flushing. Don't leave your drain handles open with the sewer pipe hooked up because you will get the camper full of nasty gnats (this is not wisdom, it is experience). Get a trash can with a lid else you will have flying bugs make your camper home. Seal up all the places a mouse can get in from under and in the pass through with copper or stainless steel wool. You can also use that expanding spray foam. There is a chance you will not have as many mice in your camper. If you rely on campground wifi or a mobile hotspot, just ask how this can be made where you can get better signals. Etc.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 02:53 PM   #20
GeoJoe

Excellent info - and some of this is I'm reading from other posts (like the tires). Yet I'm an RV virgin - so I'll take all the advice given.

Thanks!

Tags
keystone