Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 06-18-2022, 08:31 AM   #1
Gr8bawana
Gone Traveling

Fridge temp fluctuation

This is our first trip with our 2021 Cougar 368MBI and so far we love it.
One thing I've noticed is that the fridge temp seems to fluctuate anywhere from 34-45 degrees according to the digital display on the front with the temp selector set to 4. This is while plugged into shore power. An old fashioned fridge thermometer shows about 4° colder than the display.
The food in the freezer stays rock solid all the time.
Setting it to 5 helps a bit during the day but when it's warmer. Warmer being in the mid 80's.
Is this normal? Anything I should check?
Gr8bawana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 08:54 AM   #2
jsb5717

I assume you have an RV fridge? The most common issue is the lack of adequate air flow behind the fridge. Google search for RV Refrigerator Fans. You will see different fan mods that many have done. In addition to the OEM fans I have added 2 different sets of fans…2 each on their own thermistor. That way I can phase in when the fans come on depending on how warm it gets behind, and especially on top of the fridge. Removing the heat build up behind and on top of the fridge has kept ours running well and mostly 34-37 degrees on setting #4 on our Dometic 12 Cu Ft model.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 08:58 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Since there isnt any circulating fans inside the Dometic you might want to consider a fan that sits in the condensation tray or hooks onto the cooing fins. Every time you open the door it will "spill" cold air and the fins take time to absorb the heat. A fan inside the fridge moves air to help recover faster and more evenly distribute the cold air.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 01:59 PM   #4
Gr8bawana
Gone Traveling

Just wanted to update this issue. The issue was me and my wife. We are bone-heads.
We never noticed this thing on the edge of the left-hand door. It will fold down and allow the door to close leaving about a half inch gap between the doors.
Now the fridge stays anywhere from 34°-38° on setting 4 even in 103° temps.
Gr8bawana is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge